Woot!! WotC renews Dragonlance license!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, this is good news, but I wonder what they aren't telling us. A seven-month renewal doesn't seem like a standard contract length; if anything it seems like an amount of time that'd be insisted upon to finish up works in production before losing the license. :\

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It is not really a 7 month extension. The original contract was only revoked in April and will become null at the end of December 2007 (since WoTC is allowing MW to release all the DL products they had planned for 2007). In essance this announcement means that MW has a one month contract extension since it becomes null at the end of Jan 2008.

To me what this announcement means is that:
1- One or more books might be running late and MW convinced WoTC to give them a 1 month contract extension (to prevent fan outrage).
OR
2- MW convinced WoTC to give them a 1 month contract extension so that they could release a product they had schedualed for in Jan/Feb 08, thus saving it from being placed in WoTC's dead-product shelf.

I'm hoping that the later is the case.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
I'm not even sure it was even that.

In a prior post or podcast, the folks at MWP mentioned there that all new materials had to be released by the end of 2007 and MWP had to stop selling everything by Jan 2008.

So it may be that there is nothing new here at all.

Or, the "extension" is a mere month, as prevoiously suggested, in order to accomodate an end of year release, possibly Dragons of Spring - the third and final volume in the 3.5 module re-releases.

If so, that at least, is good news.

Nepenthe

First Post
Seems like putting a positive spin on the ending of the license :\

Well, at least there's still some quality books on the way before then!

Cam Banks

Adventurer
This is just a formal acknowledgement of what has already been announced, for the most part, yes. Up until this point WotC hadn't said anything about it other than that negotiations are ongoing.

We've got Dragons of Krynn, Dragons of Winter, Dragons of Spring, and the Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home vol. III coming out this year. Races of Ansalon is off to press and is available at DriveThruRPG.com, and the newest Tasslehoff's Map Pouch (the Pre-Cataclysm or Legends version!) is back from the printers, with pre-orders being fulfilled. The Map Pouch should hit stores in the next month.

Cheers,
Cam

Klaus

First Post
This is the part I find interesting (emphasis mine):

"Wizards continues to publish novels set in the Dragonlance world, including the Lost Chronicles series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and looks forward to celebrating the 25th anniversary of Dragonlance in 2009."

I wonder what WotC has planned for DL in '09.

vrykyl

Explorer
And just to clarify, we will be producing new product through January 2008 and will have the ability to sell through our stock until June of that year.

Jamie Chambers
Vice President
Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd.

Steel_Wind

Legend
vrykyl said:
And just to clarify, we will be producing new product through January 2008 and will have the ability to sell through our stock until June of that year.

Jamie Chambers
Vice President
Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd.

Ah. Thank-you. That does sound newish then!

Remove ads