• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Words, Phrases, and Misspellings We Hate

Henry

Autoexreginated
If it were irrational you wouldn't have proper reasons for it, but you just explained what they were. :p
I must say I miss Circvs' fist-rattling emoticon over here - it's tough to stage a proper rant without it. :)

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I must say I miss Circvs' fist-rattling emoticon over here - it's tough to stage a proper rant without it. :)
fist.gif

img ]

MoxieFu

First Post
In a way they could be, if you consider them both neutral states of mind. In the first you're not sure which way you feel about something and in the second you just don't care.

No. Ambivalence is a strong emotional reaction involving inner conflict. Indifference is barely a reaction at all. They have almost opposite meanings.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Another mistake that I use as a warning not to bother to read any further - misuse of forward for foreword. It is the word before the main text. Therefore foreword. Why is that so hard?

Impeesa

Explorer
One that I see all the time, but never seems to come up in conversations like this one, is palette, palate, and pallet. Nobody seems to know which is which, whether the topic at hand is art, food, or the subtleties of bulk shipping.

Orius

Legend
Bingo, and what is with the letter C (its only use is the "Chuh" sound)?

Blame that one on the Romans.

No, wait. It's supposed to be hate, not hat. He said 'hate of d02'.

It's an old EN World in-joke. Many years ago some troll posted an anti-d20 rant filled with numerous grammatical errors. "My hat of d02 know no limit" is about the only part of it anyone around here remembers because it was frequently quoted in jest.

In game terms is Uncavalier to Anti-Paladin as Cavalier is to Paladin?

So what kind of restrictions does the Uncavalier have? Is he supposed to run from every single fight, like Brave Sir Robin?

Oh gawd, did I just make Holy Grail reference?

Ah, English. So easy to learn, so easily adjusted, so devoid of grammar, and such a pain to spell.

Being a non-native speaker, I have plentiful sympathy for the spellers of the language. If you don't read a lot, I'm not sure how you'd learn it, as there's so little rhyme or reason to it and you just have to remember it--so many sounds and so many words, but such a small alphabet.

Most of the illogical stuff comes from older forms of English, particularly when early printing was capturing the inconsistant uses of early Modern English and the more learned were shoehorning in French features like silent letters. Latin and Greek borrowings tend to to be spelled much more sensibly.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned horde/hoard yet. Those two are confused constantly even by people who really should know better, and it drives me nuts!

One is an army, the other a treasure, people!

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Another mistake that I use as a warning not to bother to read any further - misuse of forward for foreword. It is the word before the main text. Therefore foreword. Why is that so hard?

I blame Gary.

It surprised me that a bloke with such an extensive vocabulary always got this wrong so I used to assume it was just the American spelling of foreword.

Last edited:

Remove ads