Work shoping CR (Very low magic world)

So here is a great example of an OPPS…I was aiming for a CR 13. I think I made an awesome boss monster (one I thought might need to become legendary and gain some layer actions, also may be served with having some undead or the like in the encounter… what I ended up with is Defensive CR ½ (so a joke) and offensive CR 4 or 5 (slightly less of a joke…slightly) so an Average CR of 2.75… so rounding down a CR2 monster or up a CR 3… Opps. But keep in mind this thing is throwing around 4th level Druid and 3rd level Warlock spells…this math is BORKED sometimes.

SO anyone want to workshop with me here? What is and isn’t working here? Is there anyway to save this idea at all and have it provided a challenge at even level 9 or 10???

Now to be fair this is for a Adventures of Middle Earth game that has very low magic and no PC spell casters (I asked in another thread for thoughts on that) but I think this is still pretty bad… My game world is a mix of Middle Earth, Planitos (aSoIaF) and Babylon 5 for story…with a bit of eternia (he man) as well thrown in.

This NPC is mostly based aSoIaF (aka a game of thrones) but with a bit of the others…

Randal Dunkeld Medium humanoid (half elf), Neutral (leaning evil)
Armor Class 16 (armor of shadow+barkskin) Hit Points 40 (12d8 -24) Speed 25ft.
STR 11 (+0) DEX 16 (+3) CON 7 (-2)
INT 15 (+2) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 14 (+2)
prof +5
Saves: Int +7. Wis +9
Skills History +7, Insight +14, Investigate +7, Lore +7 Medicine +14, Nature +7, Perception +9 Shadow-lore +7
Senses passive Perception 19 Languages Druidic Elvin Sylvn Orcus Goblin Common Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)

Ancient Lore. Randy makes History checks without penalties for forgotten lore

Bowman of the Guild. When Randy rolls Damage with a bow he can use his bonus action to reroll the damage and take the higher of the two, he can't do so again until he takes a long or short rest

Fey Presence. As an action, Randy can cause each creature in a 10-foot cube originating from him to make a Wisdom saving throw DC15. The creatures that fail their saving throws are all charmed or frightened by him (his choice) until the end of his next turn.

Dark Devotion. Randy has advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.

Dark Knowledge. Randy makes Shadow Lore checks without penalties

Eyes of the Rune Keeper. Randy can read any and all languages

Fey Ancestry. Randy has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put him to sleep.

Hooting of Owls. Randy knows the speach of Owls, and can communicate with them on a basic level.

News from afar. Randy can once per adventure add +5 to an Int or WIs (or skill under) check

Old Hatreds. When Randy rolls damage with melee attacks against and Orc, or Gobliniod he may reroll damage and take the higher.

Shadow Armor. Randy can cast Mage Armor at will

Spellcasting. Randy is a 7th-level druid. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following (11)druid spells prepared: (on a short rest recover up to 4 levels of slots 1/day)

Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, guidance, mending, shillelagh
1st level (4 slots): entangle, longstrider, speak with animals, thunderwave
2nd level (3 slots): animal messenger, barkskin, goodberry *blur, silence*
3rd level (3 slots): call lightning, dispel magic, speak with plants *create food/water, protection from elements*
4th level (1 slot):conjur woodland beast *blight, hallucinatory terrain*

Randy is a 5th-level warlock. His spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, + 7 to hit with spell attacks). The fanatic has the following (6) warlock spells known: (recover spell slots on short rest)
Cantrips (at will): chill touch, minor illusion, prestidigitation
1st level: hellish rebuke, unseen servant
2nd level: hold person, phantasmal force
3rd level (2 slots): animate dead, magic circle

Tongues of many people: Randy knows enough to get his point across basically (or insult or swear) in any language.

Voice of the Chain Master: Randy can see through and speak through Maladrake at any time on same plane.

Web of Deceit: When Randy starts a social interaction, he makes an Insight check DC 15 plus highest wis modifier in group. if he succeeds he may gain advantage on any 1 check in that scene.

Wood Elf Magic. Randy may spend a HD to make a single ranged attack roll automatically hit and crit, he may also use an inspiration to create an elf light (DC 15 or creatures drawn to), He may extinguish his elf light as someone enters it to make them fall a sleep for 10 minutes (or until takes damage or someone takes an action to shake awake)

ACTIONS
Quarterstaff. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit (+ 9to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, or 8 (1d8+4) bludgeoning damage with shillelagh or 4(1d8) bludgeoning damage wielded with two hands.

Long Bow+1 Ranged Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, ranged 150/600 ft. , one target. Hit: 10 (1d8 + 6) piercing damage

Golden Dawn (Arkhoisa Steel Short Sword)Melee Weapon Attack: +8+1d3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8+4) slashing damage (crit 19+ for 18 (3d8+4))

Chill Touch Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit, ranged 120 ft. , one target. Hit: 14 (3d8) necrotic damage and target can't regain hp until start of your next turn. If target is UNDEAD they have disadvantage on attacks until the end of your next turn.

Sprite familiar:

Maladrake Tiny fey, neutral good
Armor Class 15 (leather armor) Hit Points 2 (1d4) Speed 10ft., fly 40ft.
STR 3 (- 4) DEX 18 (+4) CON 10 (+0)
INT 14 (+2) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 11 (+0)

Skills Perception +3, Stealth +8
Senses passive Perception 13 Languages Common, Elvish, Sylvan Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

ACTIONS
Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 slashing damage.

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 40/160 ft., one target. Hit: 5 piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for l minute. If its saving throw result is 5 or lower, the poisoned target falls unconscious for the same duration, or until it takes damage or another creature takes an action to shake it awake.

Heart Sight. The sprite touches a creature and magically knows the creature's current emotional state. If the target fails a DC l 0 Charisma saving throw, the sprite also knows the creature's alignment. Celestials, fiends, and undead automatically fail the saving throw.

Invisibility. The sprite magically turns invisible until it attacks or casts a spell, or until its concentration ends (as if concentrating on a spell). Any equipment the sprite wears or carries is invisible with it.

Coroc

Hero
This boss is awesome for a solo encounter if played right. His save DCs for his fear and elflight abilities are 15 which is likely to catch some oponents who got no prof in wis saves. Have him animate dead/ conjure animal /unseen servant for some extra canon fodder, use hallucinatory terrain to his advantage, target is to wear a party down before they can encounter him directly.
With his skills and that of his familiar at any given time during an encounter he should never have to stand versus the whole party. I would say if played right in a low magic surrounding (I am not familiar with the middle earth rules) he could make a good solo encounter for 4 PC up to 5th or 6th level with ease. Everything below 4th is doomed if this mob is played right.
It is self evident that he should not get into a static face to face melee with a party at any time, for this he is to meager.

This boss is awesome for a solo encounter if played right. His save DCs for his fear and elflight abilities are 15 which is likely to catch some oponents who got no prof in wis saves. Have him animate dead/ conjure animal /unseen servant for some extra canon fodder, use hallucinatory terrain to his advantage, target is to wear a party down before they can encounter him directly.
With his skills and that of his familiar at any given time during an encounter he should never have to stand versus the whole party. I would say if played right in a low magic surrounding (I am not familiar with the middle earth rules) he could make a good solo encounter for 4 PC up to 5th or 6th level with ease. Everything below 4th is doomed if this mob is played right.
It is self evident that he should not get into a static face to face melee with a party at any time, for this he is to meager.

the orginal plan was for him to be a threat around 7th to 9th level with a party of 5 martial (manly melee) characters. I would put him after a bunch of blights (vine and twig) being lead by a corrupted dryad. then in his cave (maybe with lair action) and have the encounter be illusions and the sniper familiar... he would have a handful of zombies and/or skeletons as well... but when I ran the numbers like I said he CR is SUPER low...

I agree if played well he could be a threat...but so too could some kobolds (insert tucker reference here)but again I find the math messed up.

Quartz

Hero
He's got far too few HP to be a threat. He's a glass cannon in that when they actually get to him he'll fall very quickly. So just give him the Tough feat to give him back those 24 HP.

aco175

Legend
All the other powers make him cool, but the HP will kill him in one round if the PCs can get to him. By the level you want, the fighter could take several attacks of opportunity getting to him and still attack him directly. You can try to have many little monsters like goblins or skeletons that are easy to kill at this level, but also get to hurt the PCs by sheer numbers.

One of my friends suggested that even if I gave him a 9th level aid spell (40 extra hp), and toughness (12 more) that is still less then 100 and at level 8 there is no way the PCs could not deal 100hp in the opening round...

Satyrn

First Post
I'd start by upping his Constitution to 14, so he can get another 48 hit points.

And I just want to emphasize that his levels in druid and warlock are only meaningful to his CR if he's got damage dealing spells, and I only see call lightning and a couple others in that long list . . . so I'd suggest making sure he's got some woodland beings conjured, and add those critters' CR to the encounter budget when figuring out if Randy's gonna be a challenge.

. . . You might even want to break the rules off that spell a little and pick a good selection of critters tyat the spell wouldn't otherwise permit.

aco175

Legend
Why are you building him like a PC?

Building him like a monster allows you to give him cool powers and combos that break traditional character building. I like to give 4e powers to NPCs to make them stand out a bit and it makes the NPC both easy to play and memorable for the players.

Why are you building him like a PC?

That's a good question...I always start with classes or the builds in the back of the MM for my 'phb race' antagonists... maybe I shouldn't. I would love to hear how you would do it different. Maybe that is the problem by making him a warlock/druid instead of just a monster that CAN do things...

Remove ads