• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E World-Building DMs

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
In British culture telling people directly to do (almost) anything is generally considered rude. If I was in Germany and I was told "Bring food!" I wouldn't take offence, I know Germans are like that.

They might feel that it is rude, but in the end they will do what they are told which is all that matters

Phantarch

First Post
Really? I've seen that all the time. Heck, I darn near expect it. How is it any different than making a request of a DJ at a bar?

The difference is requesting a DJ (or host) to play something specific from THEIR selection of music, which I think is fine. I've never seen somebody bring their own CD to a DJ and ask them to put it on.

ProgBard

First Post
In a delightful convergence of subjects, our group's game last night was also a potluck. (We've done this a couple of times now when meeting on Saturdays.)

Our friends are conscientious enough to ask about food restrictions for everyone, though not everything has to be limited by what one person can't or won't eat - we just all try to be good about communicating ingredient lists. As it happens, my wife has an egg allergy; one time our hosts made two versions of a dish, one with mayo as an ingredient and one with sour cream. Which we thought was a really lovely gesture, and much appreciated - but certainly not something we expected.

S'mon

Legend
Even outside of potlucks, there is an expectation that a guest at least offer to bring something to add to a meal. The host certainly can and does frequently say that nothing additional is necessary, but it is perfectly within social graces for the host to then ask you to bring something. As an example in such a situation, if I were invited to dinner by a vegetarian, I would, as social protocol dictates, offer to bring something. If the vegetarian host asked me to bring a salad, I would do so with no ill feelings.

I think over here bringing food is rare, the standard thing with dinner parties is to bring a
bottle of wine - you often see a table groaning with far more wine bottles than could
possibly be drunk. Bringing food in some cases might have a connotation of "I don't trust your cooking" or "I don't think you're going to feed us enough!" - ie could be risky. And telling guests to bring
food is a bit iffy, it might be ok if they offer to say "that'd be wonderful!" - but specifying what to bring might be iffy again. Desserts probably safest.

Edit: For a D&D game there's no expectation on the host to feed the rest of the group, so fine
for them to bring food, of course. Bonus points if it's food for everyone.

Last edited:

Remove ads