Pathfinder 1E World of Golarion going Lovecraft too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahayford

First Post
Do the Golarian version of the Elder Gods even follow the same exact origin story as the Lovecraftian version?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If you're in Golarion (which is what the thread is about), then you are deliberately choosing to allow Erik Mona to tell you what to do. If you're disallowing the Lovecraft stuff, then it's a homebrew version of Golarion, and this discussion no longer applies.

It's a big setting with more than 100 adventures. Don't run the ones you aren't interested in. They will not use their supernatural powers to infect your campaign.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Do the Golarian version of the Elder Gods even follow the same exact origin story as the Lovecraftian version?

Not precisely no IIRC. The great old ones named in Golarion's universe seem to predate the current set of gods, but they themselves appear to be either bound to or native to the material plane. They're also at present only demigods (their power either current at a low point or diminished in the current age). They're not the omnipotent, uncaring horrors beyond time and space from HPL's original conception of them.

Other lovecraftian critters are of different origin, such as the men of Leng that are natives to a demiplane of the same name.

The qlippoth of the Abyss are very lovecraftian, but they aren't the explicit great old ones like yog-sothoth, shub-niggurath, detailed as being on/from the material plane.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I believe every game of every setting is essentially a homebrew version. It is never exactly the same as the next group's world of same name :cool:

However, as to the original issue, I've discussed it with my two really chtulhuphobe players and it seems as long as we are not going by the mythos as such, I won't need to rename anything, not even for Carrion Crown. As our heroes are supposed to save the world little by little and not just be another group of adventurers, the idea of inescabable doom was what they disliked most and that won't be the case in our game.

Systole

First Post
By selecting the PFS modules to run at your table, your DM is STILL exerting editorial control. Thanks for playing. Try again.

And you're still playing in a world which is doomed, which I've said like eight times in this thread already. Good snark failure, though. Liked it.

Crothian

First Post
And you're still playing in a world which is doomed,

If the planet is doomed and that makes the games set there pointless then why are you reading Pathfinder books and posting in a pathfinder forum? Isn't all that pointless too?

N'raac

First Post
And you're still playing in a world which is doomed, which I've said like eight times in this thread already. Good snark failure, though. Liked it.

Pretty bad marketing on the part of PFS, since once it's dead they'll have nothing to publish.

Would you care to cite an official Pathfinder source, since you seem to hang your hat entirely on these official sources, that the Golarian adaptation of Cthulhu mythos means that the entire multi-planar cosmos in which Golarian is situated* must inevitably be destroyed by the Great Old Ones?

* Since you did note that Alderaan is not a hopeless game setting, as people could leave before it is destroyed, clearly any remnant of the cosmos that someone from Golarian might reach must also be inevitably doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads