• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E World of Golarion going Lovecraft too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crothian

First Post
Thread's about Golarion, not Pathfinder.

Point still stands. I understand if you just want to be contrary to everything in the thread as you are doing. But you are allowed to actually further the conversation and not just be glib about everything.

Systole

First Post
Pretty bad marketing on the part of PFS, since once it's dead they'll have nothing to publish.

Would you care to cite an official Pathfinder source, since you seem to hang your hat entirely on these official sources, that the Golarian adaptation of Cthulhu mythos means that the entire multi-planar cosmos in which Golarian is situated* must inevitably be destroyed by the Great Old Ones?

* Since you did note that Alderaan is not a hopeless game setting, as people could leave before it is destroyed, clearly any remnant of the cosmos that someone from Golarian might reach must also be inevitably doomed.

Here's a wiki entry for you: Lovecraftian Horror (themes). I would like to draw your attention to the words helplessness, hopelessness, and vulnerability. I do not think these should be in a swords-and-sorcery world. This is my opinion.

What I have also said, and what is also my opinion, is that if these things are Lovecraft-Lite (i.e. starfish monsters that are not necessarily From Beyond), then I still don't particularly like them, but they are not game-breaking.

So are we talking about Lovecraftian, full-stop, or are we talking about Lovecraft-Lite?

Systole

First Post
Point still stands. I understand if you just want to be contrary to everything in the thread as you are doing. But you are allowed to actually further the conversation and not just be glib about everything.

If I'm being brief, it's because I've already spelled out my opinion multiple times, and I'm just getting tired of repeating myself.

The question is, "Is there too much Lovecraft in Golarion?" Not "Can you play a Lovecraft-free Pathfinder game?" My answer to the that first question is: Any amount of eldritch horror implies a hopeless universe. In my opinion, Golarion should not be a hopeless universe. Therefore, I do not think Golarion should have any Lovecraftian elements.

You're welcome to disagree with me, but I don't feel I'm being contrary simply because I have an opinion and I have not been convinced otherwise by any of the counterarguments in this thread.

Crothian

First Post
Any amount of eldritch horror implies a hopeless universe.

And you also seem to believe that if there is a hopeless universe that games played there are pointless. Do you believe the same with 1e AD&D? They exist in that game. They also exist in the 3e D&D game so does that make all of that pointless as well?

Systole

First Post
And you also seem to believe that if there is a hopeless universe that games played there are pointless. Do you believe the same with 1e AD&D? They exist in that game. They also exist in the 3e D&D game so does that make all of that pointless as well?

I answered this about 5 posts back, when you equated Golarion (a shared world) with Pathfinder (a game system).

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Thread's about Golarion, not Pathfinder.

1. Find me a book produced by Pazio that is about Golarion that doesnt have the Pathfinder logo on it.

2. Pathfinder brand name and Golarion started at the same time (with Rise of the Runelords AP). The Pathfinder ruleset came AFTER the Pathfinder brand was out by about 2 to 3 years I think.

Unless I'm missing the point that you're trying to make with this.

Edit: The Pathfinder Brand started in 2007 with the first Pathfinder AP - Rise of the Runelords. The first 4 AP's branded with the Pathfinder name (Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Second Darkness and Legacy of Fire) used the 3.5 ruleset.

The Pathfinder RPG wasnt released until August of 2009.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I answered this about 5 posts back, when you equated Golarion (a shared world) with Pathfinder (a game system).

That doesn't answer the question at all or are you saying that 1e is a doomed gaming system since the Elder Gods appeared in its rule books?

Systole

First Post
If you do not recognize a difference between a rules system and a game world, then, respectfully, I have nothing further to say to you.

Crothian

First Post
If you do not recognize a difference between a rules system and a game world, then, respectfully, I have nothing further to say to you.

There is an inherent connection between the rules and the setting. This is not GURPs or Savage Worlds. If you do have a point in the above sentance then you might want to clarify it because like many of your posts in the thread they are just brief snippets that fail to explain your position clearly.

So to answer the OP, no, I don't think Golarian has too much Mythos in it. In fact, I'm going to set the number at 20 percent in terms of the percentage of players that would know that a particular monster or some campaign setting fluff is derived from Lovecraft at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads