WotC World Reveal of Baldur’s Gate 3 Gameplay at PAX!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The past tense dialog is really interesting, even if my initial response is dislike. But I think it's interesting enough to give a chance, and I can see how it might theoretically aid a feeling of literary scope and flavor if the rest of the game supports it, so we'll see.

Other than that I'm stoked about the turn based aspect, I would have put money down that no AAA title in 2020 would have taken a risk on a turn based combat system. Really happy to be proven wrong!

Fire Emblem was one of the hottest games of 2019. Turn based is in right now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is a hint on the D&D page about the plot of BG3. Possible Spoiler alert below.

That matches up with some of the hints in Volo's Guide and the side stories for MF and Gith in the various Adventure books. I'd lay good odds that the big Adventure this year from Perkins ties in to this.

Some more Info
LLH1BPJ.png

wDhL6kh.png

15 races! Nice. But then again, other than art and audio assets, races should be relatively easy to put in. I'd love to see the full list so far, although the previews go a long way towards telling us.

8 classes so far. This article
Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access will launch with 6 classes and 5 origin characters
states that these will be available in early access:

Fighter - Battle Master, Eldritch Knight
Wizard - Evocation, Abjuration
Rogue - Arcane Trickster, Thief
Ranger - Hunter, Beast Master
Cleric - Life, Light, Trickery
Warlock - Fiend, Great One

That's a nice mix of classes and archetypes so far, although only 6 classes instead of the 8 mentioned here. So they've got two more classes with archetypes ready to go - I'm guessing paladin and druid maybe? Or maybe bard? I honestly can't wait to see. I'm quite a bit more hyped now than I was on the first announcement, where I was definitely interested, but wary. Just about everything revealed so far by Larian has pretty much hit sweet spots for me.

(And also, wasn't that cinematic amazing? It was truly 100% D&D)

Quickleaf

Legend
A couple interesting things I noticed...

Playable races include Githyanki and Tieflings-with-subraces from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes such as the Asmodeus Tiefling.

Swen said that the city being attacked by the mind flayers was Yartar which lies east of Neverwinter and Triboar. This is way to the north of Baldur's Gate.

The NPC Shadowheart mentions "the chase through hell", which may imply the nautiloid ship was planeshifting into and out of the Nine Hells.

Swen mentions that the protagonist gets the nautiloid to crash land about 200 miles east of Baldur's Gate. Which just happens to be where Elturel was before being dragged to hell in Descent into Avernus.

EDIT: The NPC Gale has a "devastation orb" like a ticking bomb in his chest. Interestingly, a "devastation orb" was mentioned in connection with Yartar in Princes of the Apocalypse (p175): Members of the Hand of Yartar thieves' guild acquired a "devastation orb" from the Lord Protector of Triboar's vault and attempted to auction it off to the highest bidder.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Personally, it feels very Baldur's Gate to me so far. Starting out in the wilderness, getting some companions together, facing some in-game time constraints and knowing that a dark power is within you wanting to grow and burst forth? That already covers a lot of the themes of the first two games, and it's not even out of the starting area.

Reynard

Legend
Its rather the same combat system as Divinity with all its special effects, environmental effects and stuff. Don't tell me Mage Hand actually does that in 5E, or?

The main complain simply is that turn based combat takes ages to resolve and also breaks the flow in the game.
You know, like in the tabletop version of the game.

I do not understand the complaint against turn based combat. it's D&D D&D is turn based. Personally, I hate "Real time with pause" as a half assed version of real time combat and thought Baldurs Gate would have always been better for turn based combat.

Opinions vary, and I feel bad for those that want something else, but this game looks AMAZING. I just hope there's a GM mode similar (but more robust) than the one in D:OS2.

Remove ads