WotC World Reveal of Baldur’s Gate 3 Gameplay at PAX!

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I will see this tomorrow, but it uses D&D 5E rules, right?
For the most part, it seemed pretty faithful. Looked like all the skills were there, with Deception, Perception, and Persuasion checks happening during the demo. The combat was a little wonky, though... Characters getting two attacks per round (at level 1?), Side Initiative without discreet turns (character A takes first attack, then character B moves, then character A moves, then character B attacks, etc.), Mage Hands attacking (well, throwing...) enemies, and Bonus Actions operating in some strange way that seems to work completely differently from tabletop. Combat has me a little worried, but I never expected to get a 100% faithful adaptation anyway. What we saw was much better than what I was expecting, though.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
If anything, the ability to kind of freeform wing crap in combat is way closer to D&D than most traditional turn-based takes on D&D (even the otherwise very faithful ToEE). "Can I kick this box in front of me down towards the enemy archer?" "Sure!"

Other than side initiative (which isn't an unheard of house rule), the Mage Hand shoves, and turning what appears to be a pretty liberal use of "Use an Object" into a bonus action, it appeared pretty faithful. The verticality is especially appreciated.

Gotta say I'm more excited about this than I was before.

Derren

Hero
Why are you saying this when it was fairly clearly using 5e Rules.
Because it doesn't. See for example the action economy Prakriti already mentioned.
This is a variant of the Divinity combat system with D&D names, no matter how much some people here want to sugar coat it. Even the devs themselves said they did not want to copy the D&D rules.

Because it doesn't. See for example the action economy Prakriti already mentioned.
This is a variant of the Divinity combat system with D&D names, no matter how much some people here want to sugar coat it. Even the devs themselves said they did not want to copy the D&D rules.
Other then the initiative, and the expanded use for bonus actions, it was pretty faithful. Don't know what you are talking about.

slobster

Hero
That stream was pretty awesome, the flavor and feel is really adventurous and epic from moment 1 in a way that could only be done in D&D lore. The gameplay looks promising, reminding me of the better "overhead" RPGs in recent years like Dragon Age: Origins and Divinity, and of course the old isometrics.

As someone who played the original BG and BG2 as some of my first computer RPGs way back before high school, the little we saw continues to keep me optimistic.

I was pretty hyped before, and the gameplay preview increased my hype. Now I'll just have to try to make peace with the bizarre past tense narration...

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Any isometric game, to me, has a more D&D feel since that’s what games I played used it the most....ie Baldurs gates, planescape torment, nwn, etc. as far as the UI not looking like BG and more divinity inspired, not a big deal to me, didn’t play enough divinity to think the game play shown on twitch did. As far as turn based, can hit pause to select stuff to do on your turn, goes through everyone’s turn, monsters and back to the PCs....what’s the issue..seems similar to me to 20 year old games it’s loosely based on. Visuals - this game rocks! I’m more hyped after seeing it that the finished game will be something I enjoy.

Remove ads