WotC World Reveal of Baldur’s Gate 3 Gameplay at PAX!

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I didn't expect them to have Spelljammer.

Also, rather restricted class list. Hopefully they will add more.
They said there would be more. The ones they revealed will be available for early access (is that what they call a beta test these days?).

Derren

Hero
Honestly, the reactions I have seem so far are rather negative. Turn based combat which isn't really D&D, a silent protagonist and indirect dialogues and simply no Baldurs Gate feeling. Something like Pathfinder Kingmaker would probably have been better received.

Derren

Hero
I don't really get this criticism... the combat we've seen so far feels pretty close to D&D combat to me... I guess the only real difference is the whole player turn/enemy turn thing
Its rather the same combat system as Divinity with all its special effects, environmental effects and stuff. Don't tell me Mage Hand actually does that in 5E, or?

The main complain simply is that turn based combat takes ages to resolve and also breaks the flow in the game.

I like the cinematic scene. I think this is the right way to make a D&D media production (movie or teleserie).

I dare to say not only Spelljammer is coming soon, but Hasbro may dare to sell Spjm toys. Why not with a retro/vintage style/look, like from 80's?

Last edited:

Derren

Hero
One question for those that follow the adventures WotC publishes
Was getting kidnapped by mindflayers one possible outcome in the hell adventure?
It sounds like its implied that the characters you play are somehow related to the Descent adventure

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Its rather the same combat system as Divinity with all its special effects, environmental effects and stuff. Don't tell me Mage Hand actually does that in 5E, or?

You're telling me environmental effects don't exist in D&D? The Divinity-style "Can I try to do this?" is a hell of a lot closer to an actual D&D game than the kind of limited video-gamey combat in older BG games.

This is definitely Mage Hand+ as a cantrip but the damage it was doing wasn't exactly out of scope for a cantrip... I thought it was pretty neat

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The start game video looks great and game play of one of them is heads better than the previous with the cut scene interaction and top down view. Looking forward to it hopefully later this year, is that when it coming out?

Derren

Hero
You're telling me environmental effects don't exist in D&D? The Divinity-style "Can I try to do this?" is a hell of a lot closer to an actual D&D game than the kind of limited video-gamey combat in older BG games.

This is definitely Mage Hand+ as a cantrip but the damage it was doing wasn't exactly out of scope for a cantrip... I thought it was pretty neat

Those codified environmental effects come from Divinity 2. So no wonder it looks more like Divinity 3 with D&D license instead of a Baldurs Gate successor.

Remove ads