Worlds of Design: Gun vs. Sword

Lanchester’s Power [Linear and Square] Laws mean that combat in science fiction RPGs will usually be fundamentally different than combat in fantasy RPGs. Or the designer will have to somehow compensate, as in Star Wars.

Lanchester’s Power [Linear and Square] Laws mean that combat in science fiction RPGs will usually be fundamentally different than combat in fantasy RPGs. Or the designer will have to somehow compensate, as in Star Wars.

starwars-2048262_1280.jpg

Image by Andrea Wierer from Pixabay

F. W. Lanchester, a polymath, inventor, and co-founder of operations research (a subfield of applied mathematics), examined before and during World War I the effects of melee and firepower in attritional combat. This examination was part of Lanchester’s Power Laws. Here we’re discussing how these differences mean that combat in fantasy RPGs, as compared with science fiction RPGs, will usually be fundamentally different unless the designer somehow compensates, as in Star Wars.

Lanchester calculated that in attritional melee the strength of a force is proportional to its number, because there is no action at a distance (“Lanchester’s Linear Law”). It amounts to a 1 vs. 1 environment. In an era of firepower, where military units can act at a distance, the strength of a force in attritional combat is proportional to the square of its numbers. (Hence, “Lanchester’s Square Law.”)

For example, in a melee of 5 vs 10 (or 5,000 vs 10,000), in the time it takes the 5 to inflict one damage, the 10 will inflict two damage (or 1,000 and 2,000 damage). In a firepower situation, the 5 have a relative strength of 25, while the 10 have a relative strength of 100, or 1 to 4. So in the time it takes the 5 to inflict one damage, the 10 will inflict four.

Thinking in immediately practical terms, imagine a typical sword/axe/club melee in an RPG versus a typical pistol and rifle and grenade fight today, and more in a future of blasters. (Keep in mind, the monsters we often fight are also melee weapons, in effect.) Without the effects of fantasy superheroes, the melee is man-against-man, and even a great swordsman cannot dominate a big melee. In the fight of today or the future, a man with a ranged weapon, especially an automatic weapon or an explosive-projecting weapon, can kill dozens in a short time.

A designer of a science fiction RPG faces a problem; firepower-based combat must be very different from melee combat, and probably less satisfying for the players. What can the author/designer do to solve this problem plausibly?

Star Wars compensates for this with the Jedi and light sabers. An adequately trained Jedi with a light saber can block huge numbers of blaster bolts without fail (even though it’s physically impossible if three shots are on target at the same time). He/she can use their light saber to overcome opposing armor and other factors associated with advanced weapons technology, right down to cutting through steel bulkheads. The more or less artificial scarcity of light sabers assures that few soldiers have these advantages, quite apart from the Jedi’s Force powers. Of course, Star Wars Stormtroopers can’t hit the broad side of a barn, either, nor do they use automatic weapons and explosives much.

In many ways, you can think of melee vs firepower as the difference between knife fights and automatic/semi-automatic gunfights. The movie Starship Troopers just ignores tanks and aircraft in order to provide a more visceral melee-like experience as troops fight monsters at short range and hand-to-hand. “Let’s ignore our invulnerable stuff and only bring a knife to the knife fight.” Duh. I think of E. R. Burroughs’ Barsoom stories, where many melees took place in a land with very long-range rifles and explosive bullets, because of “honor” - it was dishonorable to escalate a swordfight to a gunfight. This is one way that an author or designer can compensate for firepower: just don’t use it (except for ship-to-ship combat).

Back to fantasy. What about archery? Standard archery is much closer to melee than firepower, owing to short range, slow action (crossbows), and ammunition limitations. When English longbowmen dominated battles in the Hundred Years War*, they used a weapon that could be fired rapidly by skilled archers, yet use a large supply of ammunition because England was mobilized to mass produce (and transport) arrows. After the development of muskets, longbows would still have been a better weapon given skilled archers and a massive supply of arrows; but musket ammunition was far more compact and easily produced, and it was far easier to train a man to fire a musket adequately, than to fire a longbow rapidly.

Where fantasy moves into the realms of firepower is magic-users using fireballs, lightning bolts, and similar area effect damage spells. Which may help us understand why spellcasters can be the “ace in the hole” and can dominate a battle. Dragon fire may have similar effects.

In other words, there’s rarely a pure melee or pure firepower skirmish situation in games. Yet the higher you move on the spectrum from tactical to strategic, the more Lanchester’s Linear and Square Laws take effect, even though his mathematics only applied to a specific kind of battle. I have simplified the specific circumstances of the Laws for this short piece. You can get more detail from the Wikipedia article cited above.

I’m sure readers can provide many other examples of ways authors and designers have returned science fiction skirmishes to melee parameters.

*Reference: Bernard Cornwell’s excellent historical novels about the battles of Crecy and Agincourt. The protagonist is an English longbowman.

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

S'mon

Legend
4. It was official army training that the reason you used a 5.56 round for your M16 was because hitting an enemy took 3 out of combat (the wounded one, and 2 men to carry them out). I.e., the 5.56 was meant to wound and not kill (even if we were trained to kill) Regardless of how true that is in practical application of combat, that's how the army officially trained it. At least when I was in in the early 90s.

Yeah, I feel it was a bit of an ex post facto rationalisation calculated to keep the grunts happy.

S'mon

Legend
Even if they had done so, they typically would have been better off had their not been a dungeon at all.

I feel this is true, but somewhat explainable if the main threat is rival tribes, soldiers, and large numbers of weak enemies, not adventurer Spec Ops teams.

That said, if I want to keep my Goblins safe I just put them in 3' high burrows!

Ratskinner

Adventurer
SLA Marshall's work is highly controversial in part because no evidence exists that the raw data his book was supposedly based on actually exists. He has records of interviewing soldiers for example, but no records of asking questions that could be used to back his claims regarding the reluctance of soldiers to fire their weapon in anger, much less the answers to those questions. Much of the research purporting to show this instinctive aversion has similar problems, and the whole idea seems to fly in the face of the historical record which is filled with massacres of many sorts. So the question then becomes is there an aversion to killing that may or may not be cultural, or is there a cultural aversion to believing that we are the sort of species that enjoys or at least has little instinctive aversion to committing homicide.

Specifically regarding the idea of a human aversion to killing: I think there's sufficient research from other areas to support the idea. I think the common reactions (among westerners, anyway) to the "fat man" version of the trolley problem points to it. Similarly, there is a pronounced bias in the cultures and history we study more (mostly due to historical accident/reason). For instance, the patterns of hunter-gatherer warfare you mention appear to only function in areas of high population density, and coincidentally(?) have a long "training" periods for young males in the form of war-play. Are they being "desensitized" or something? AFAIK, its not well-studied enough to know, but at least one researcher I've read noted that none of his subjects seem to experience anything like PTSD. Areas with low population density are far less studied, but all the indications I've seen indicate that organized violence are either rare or nonsensical to them, even when they maintain tribal or familial relationships that would permit it. (The general presumption seems to be along the lines of "When resources are scarce, its far better to have a friend who might share than an enemy who wouldn't.")

As far as massacres and things go, there are definite patterns of dehumanization that almost always precede them. Perhaps most famously painting the target group as vermin of some sort (cockroaches or rats are very popular) that need to be exterminated. So, while humans are obviously capable of doing violence to each other in a "warfare"* like manner, it seems to me that it usually takes some work to get there.

just my $.02

As far as the rest goes, I was just relating a conversation I had that seemed relevant.

*Individual or personal violence seems to be a different matter entirely.

Hussar

Legend
Well, to be fair, another reason for the switch to 5.56 was effective range. Sure, a 7.62 round will go much, much further, but, very few engagements actually begin at further out than a few hundred meters. It might happen, but, it's very rare. So, why bother having a round with an effective range of nearly a kilometer when the majority of engagements are under 300 meters?

But, S'mon, I don't think it's a rationalization at all. Economic warfare has dominated modern combat for the better part of a century. There's a reason that mines are designed to wound rather than kill. It wouldn't be hard to make mines much more lethal than they are ("bouncing betty" mines jump up to waist high in order to wound, jump them up another 30 cm and they become much, much more lethal, just as an example).

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
The 5.56 is more flat trajectory with less recoil, as they found towards the end of ww2, that lighter carbine style weapons were better in the hands of inexperienced soldiers.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Well, whatever the justifications, I know I would much rather have an SLR (7.62mm) than the 5.56mm SA80 they issued me!

I see the problem. You were using an SA80. The M16 when first introduced was well loved by American soldiers in Vietnam, although the next iteration had to switch to burst-fire rather than full selective fire options given the propensity of American troops let loose in full "rock-n-roll" mode at nothing but shadows.

Mind you, the 5.56mm NATO has another benefit: you can carry lots of it compared to heavy ammo like the 7.62mm. Plus, as a NATO standard you don't have worry about that weird Belgian guy not having a compatible magazine when the Soviets invaded in Germany.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I see the problem. You were using an SA80. The M16 when first introduced was well loved by American soldiers in Vietnam, although the next iteration had to switch to burst-fire rather than full selective fire options given the propensity of American troops let loose in full "rock-n-roll" mode at nothing but shadows.

Mind you, the 5.56mm NATO has another benefit: you can carry lots of it compared to heavy ammo like the 7.62mm. Plus, as a NATO standard you don't have worry about that weird Belgian guy not having a compatible magazine when the Soviets invaded in Germany.

There’s...a lot wrong here. Firstly, Americans HATED the m16A1 when it came out in Vietnam. It was garbage. Not only because it rusted like hell (troops weren’t issued cleaning kits because it was touted as maintenance free and it wasn’t by a mile), but powder in the early rounds was awful and caused misfires all the time. There are many an interview of spec ops soldiers saying how they ditched the M16 for the AK as soon as possible.

Secondly, the reasons the M16A2 came out wasn’t because troops tended to let loose. The A1 was in service for decades before the A2 came out, and it was a collection of improvements. Better handguards, thicker barrel, adjustable sights, etc. the reason they went to burst is because anything after 3 rounds is so inaccurate it won’t hit. It was a natural enhancement.

Also, both 5.56 and 7.62 are NATO standard. So that’s not a reason. You can carry more rounds, but not lots of it compared to 7.62

—me, a veteran who used an A1 in basic, was issued an A2 for years, and have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds in dozens of weapons of both 5.56 and 7.62 caliber. (And others, like .50 cal, 9mm, .38, .40 cal, 40mm grenade, and others, but that’s a different topic)

aramis erak

Legend
That's just not how this works. It really isn't. You don't prioritize patching up enemy soldiers over your own. No military ever does that. And, frankly, coercing information by withholding pain medication? Ummm, never minding the fact that that's a great way to commit war crimes (we do hang people for that), you also generally wouldn't count on that as being a particularly effective means of gaining information.

Recovering gear is an issue, but, again, the value of the gear is so minimal compared to the value of that soldier. Do you have any idea the cost of a modern soldier? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars in training that goes into a modern combat soldier? The price of a rifle and some kit is so minor that it's largely a rounding error compared to the cost of that soldier. There are very solid economic reasons to bring that soldier home and get him or her healthy again. Recovering kit is so low on the list of priorities that it might as well not even be there.
I've seen primary source documentation of denial of pain meds to prisoners to coerce cooperation. Both Korean and Vietnam era.

The files are still under army jurisdiction, but are stored in the US National Archives. (where I worked 20+ years ago, so my NDA is expired.)

I've spoken with defectors who saw the Soviet Army do so during WW 2. And Ukrainians who lived through it after WW2.

There are no shortage of folks who will interrogate captives who are injured. If you hold the field, you can interrogate the surviving wounded of the enemy who were unable to be removed by their side in retreat. The US Army did so repeatedly in the US Civil War. And interrogators have only been limited by the Geneva Convention since 1949... The GC says you cannot withhold needed medications, but analgesia isn't medically needed. It's useful, but not essential. So, you can't cut the post-surgical antibiotics, but you can withhold the pain meds.

And if you think people aren't that cold, just check out what's been released of the abuses at Abu Ghraib. Withholding pain meds pales by comparison. The reason War Crimes exist in l;aw is because people DO ignore morality and ethicality during war, and even the threat of life in prison is remote enough not to stop them.,

Further, current "enemy powers" are mostly non-state actors - Taliban, ISIL/ISIS, Somali Pirates, extremist groups. They do take captives and try to keep them alive - at least long enough to then publicly execute them, or ransom them, or in some cases, brainwash them and use them for propaganda. This is all stuff that's been in the news in the last 8 years or so.

It's very easy for people to dehumanize the enemy. It's almost like it's a survival adaptation...

And then there's the RFP for the Stoner Weapon System...

All an infantryman needs to do to the enemy is stop his combat effectiveness. Anything more is wasted effort.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
There’s...a lot wrong here. Firstly, Americans HATED the m16A1 when it came out in Vietnam. It was garbage.

That certainly fits with what I heard.

One issue re psychology - it seems that the bigger the weapon, the more soldiers use it, and the more they fire for effect. Crew served weapons are best, but even SAW type support LMGs benefit from this psychology. I suspect the same effect between light and heavy assault rifles.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads