Worlds of Design: Human vs. Superhuman

The second season of The Mandalorian helped me realize that functional versus emotional modeling applies to both Star Wars and tabletop role-playing games.

The second season of The Mandalorian helped me realize that functional versus emotional modeling applies to both Star Wars and tabletop role-playing games.

michael-marais-bKDqieN4irg-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Michael Marais on Unsplash
You can't relate to a superhero, to a superman, but you can identify with a real man who in times of crisis draws forth some extraordinary quality from within himself and triumphs but only after a struggle.”—Timothy Dalton​

Functional vs. Emotional Modeling in RPGs​

When you want to model a particular character (in Dungeons & Dragons terms in this example) you can use the functional method or the emotional method.
  • The functional method observes what the character can do and chooses D&D character classes and powers that match. So when I wrote my Moria introductory adventure some 40 years ago I made Aragorn a seventh level Ranger and Gandalf an eighth level cleric with a ring of warmth who could use a magic sword. In the very low magic world of Middle-Earth they stood out very strongly at these levels. But I didn’t feel I could make Gandalf higher than eighth level because the ninth level cleric can raise dead (the coolest move in games), beyond Gandalf’s abilities.
  • The emotional method positioned Aragorn and Gandalf as near-mythical stature within Middle-Earth and so they needed to stand out in comparison with other D&D characters and monsters: in the upper teens in levels. Those levels don’t work for the functional method because characters that high can do more than anyone other than the Valar themselves can do in Middle-Earth.
Similarly, you can make a movie where the heroes stand out in comparison with typical characters (people) but are not superhuman. Or you can make heroes who do many things that a human could never do. That seems to be how Star Wars works sometimes—Jedi as superheroes rather than as merely human, which is more like a superhero comic book than a novel.

How This Applies to The Mandalorian

In my opinion, Star Wars has never been particularly realistic. But we’ve become accustomed to the fact that stormtroopers can never hit our heroes (even the very normal-human ones like Han Solo) with their (non-automatic!?) weapons—except when the target wears magic armor, er, Beskar steel, which is impervious to blaster bolts and other energy weapons. Beskar gets hit a lot! Nor does the (non-Beskar) stormtrooper armor ever protect the wearer from either energy bolts or physical attacks, at least not by Our Heroes. And so on.

Jedi do the physically impossible by blocking multiple simultaneous blaster shots. Yet even when they turn around to look elsewhere or say something to someone, they don’t get hit. Functionally, they’re superheroes. Some readers will remember the days of the Comics Code Authority, when virtually no one died in superhero comic books, and of course if a superhero appeared to die, somehow he or she would be back later.

How This Applies to RPGs​

In RPGs we also can consider these two forms in relation to the player characters. Are the player characters extraordinary humans (or whatever species they may be) or are they over-the-top superheroes who can do just about anything without suffering significant harm?

The answer to that question determines the type of game you play. Extraordinary people face tougher struggles and are therefore better modeled by simulationist games. For games where the player characters are truly superhuman, I think narrative and storytelling games do a better job of modeling gameplay.

Your Turn: Which point of view do you prefer as a player? And what do you prefer when you GM?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
All of these things are "fictional"-- (not in the traditional sense that these stories are not based upon actual events)-- but that in all of these TV, film, and games of the action variety... the characters get into more fights than anyone ever actually does in "real life". And the recovery time of these characters after these fights in these fictional action worlds also have no basis in any sort of reality. As a result... EVERYONE in these films, tv shows, games, novels etc. are superhuman. There's not a single normal person in any of them.

There's a reason why boxers and MMA fighters go months between fights. Because the training and recovery after one of them is that grueling. And yet in all these fictions, characters get into essentially an MMA fight, get up, brush themselves off, and then quite possibly get into another MMA fight tomorrow or even later that day. No concussions, no loss of faculty, no fear of getting hurt like that again, not a single normal human response to having been kicked in the face seventeen times in a matter of minutes.

As far as gun combat... I have never served in the military so I have no authority to speak on the subject... but I'd be very curious as to how much time an actual soldier has between engagements. Do they go from one firefight to the next over and over again day after day as we see in all of these fictional stories? Or if they survive a firefight (big if)... do they actually have a period of downtime after an engagement to return to their base, and recover both mentally, physically, and emotionally before being sent back out on another mission? Because in Star Trek we are meant to think that the bridge crew can get into a firefight with their phasers and once the concern is taken care of, they go right back to their positions on the bridge and keep working as though nothing actually happened. Now maybe that is realistic (and someone more qualified than me can speak on it).. but to me it doesn't feel realistic at all. That you can just flip a switch after surviving an actual gunfight and go right back to normal, everyday work once you're done... like we see all the time in TV, film, and games. Again.. those characters feel superhuman to me.

We humans use combat and fighting as one way of creating "drama" for our stories. It's easy, it's exciting, and feel hyper-realistic. But rarely does it seem like that combat is ever treated with any sense of actual humanity. Or at least that's the impression I get from it.

Last edited:

Maybe because Dungeons and Dragons is not the best model for all genres. Maybe that is why it never did justice to Tolkien's Middle-earth because the story was not written specifically for RPG Player Character classes.
D&D is an odd duck. I love it with all my heart, but it wears its origins on its sleeve. Even now, it's 1/2 RPG and 1/2 Wargame. Don't ask it to do complex social things, complex economics, complex narrative mechanics, etc.

You can do those things, in the same way that I could do mass military combat in a white wolf game. But the system coughs and sputters when you do.

i Find that Fate does exceptionally well at dealing with this. Generally, it allows for differing apparent power levels by isolating what each character considers a threat.

ie, while superman is invulnerable in most cases, he can be hurt by hightech, magic, and kryptonite. Lois, on the other hand, has to face off against publishing deadlines, disgruntled expose subjects, and getting Clark to finally get a clue...

even in the comics, each character tends to exist in a narrative bubble, except when they have overlaps.

Mallus

Legend
I have a lot of random thoughts on this, but for starters let me say D&D appeals to me because it moves from 'extraordinary normal person' to 'superhero' in the span of a single long campaign.

jgsugden

Legend
The answer depends upon the rules, as well as the game master and players. There is no one answer - the answer is the spectrum.

If I'm playing a Marvel Super Heroes game, I want it to be heroic and amazing (start to finish). If I am playing a Western or Zombie Apocalypse game, I want it to be gritty realism (start to finish, with them never feeling like they are in control of their world - instead the world is hunting them). If I'm playing Paranoia, I want it to be tragic and funny (start to finish to start to finish ....) If I'm playing D&D, I want the PCs to feel very 'mortal' at level one, but by the time they hit the highest levels I want them to feel more than human - I want them to be legend (wait for it) airy.

And, within each of those answers, there is variance depending upon the GM/DM and the players involved. For example, if the DM is planning to run a political campaign in D&D, I don't think a super heroic feel works as well for that style of game. We want the PCs to feel like there are a lot of people running around that are their equals, or even superiors, so that there is competition. However, if the PCs are in a campaign long quest that culminates in a "save the world" situation, I want them to feel like they are amongst the most powerful beings in the world when they reach the end.

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
I justify player characters becoming godlike because of the things they were brave enough to encounter. But they should only be that powerful to the average person, not in comparison to the challenges they continue to face. If you think about it too much it is very strange. Really any random person in a D&D setting could just decide to start adventuring and become an insanely powerful being. Though adventuring clearly has its risks, with enough money, literally anything seems to be possible, in D&D anyway.

When it comes to Star Wars, it has very common DNA with Indiana Jones. Spielberg and Lucas were both guys who grew up with pulp novels and comics where the hero always survived against ridiculous odds. My read of those properties now is that they are childhood fantasies. Nothing wrong with that. We just have to leave the realism at the door.

The old WEG Star Wars game goes into explanation as to how the players should encounter insurmountable odds and then heroically escape, while in D&D we painstakingly balance our encounters. Break out your CR to XP calculators, time to make a dungeon!

But as every introduction to an RPG states, this is your game and you get to define how it is played. I enjoy perma-death, tactics, stats, crunch, because that is how I prefer to work out a challenge. If there is no risk in failure then I am going to fall asleep. I always find it kind of funny when people want to make the most powerful character they can because every time I end up that powerful I get bored. If you can't lose then its not a game, and not all TTRP "G"'s are games. Which is fine if that's what you like.

NotAYakk

Legend
As far as gun combat... I have never served in the military so I have no authority to speak on the subject... but I'd be very curious as to how much time an actual soldier has between engagements. Do they go from one firefight to the next over and over again day after day as we see in all of these fictional stories? Or if they survive a firefight (big if)... do they actually have a period of downtime after an engagement to return to their base, and recover both mentally, physically, and emotionally before being sent back out on another mission?
It depends.

What war are we talking about? How desperate are the fighters? Are we talking WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Desert Storm, US Civil War, Napoleonic Wars, Persian battle with Greeks at Thermopylae, Roman legions, Alexander the Great, the 100 years war, the Seven Warring States of China?

In WW1 when intense firefight trench battles stretched for months on end, troops that couldn't be relieved became far less effective than those who could. Same is true of the various other ones. OTOH, there where people who did fight for extremely long periods of time without really stopping for much, even getting limited sleep.

Shell shock was used to describe the crazy PTSD soldiers got from that experience in WW1.

Soldiers with better gear and numbers have soundly lost against inferior numbers when they are exhausted enough by constant battle. Take a look at some of the seiged islands in the pacific in WW2.

This is not only with the tabletop boardgames, but also with the videogames, a great cultural influence among the new generations, because in the games we need a right balance between power and weakness, success and failure. The original superheroes previous to digital age weren't designed to be adapted into videogames. In some cases it is possible, for example Batman, Spiderman or the Avengers, but Superman is not, but if you break some power balance.

And we are used videogames aren't totally realistic, for example in Call of Duty or Grand Thief Auto a bullet is not enough to kill you, and recovering for the injuries is slower, very much slower. It is not only passing over a medic-kit. In the other side the new generations don't allow suspension of the belief when the bad guys have got a horrible aim and the hero is never hit. They have played too many shooters to know even the worst shooter can be enoughly luck some time.

And now we have wuxia fiction, like in the movie "Tiger & Dragon" where teorically the "cultivators" are ordinary humans with a hard training but they can do more than olimpic athletes, jumping over the trees. Fighters from Mortal Kombat can defeat Superman because this is vulnerable to magic, and the qui/chi techniques works as this.

* And I say again d20 system is not ready yet for a compatibility between melee weapons and firearms. If these are added, the classes as barbarian, paladin or monk will be forgotten. If we use some examples, PCs based in Street Fighters couldn't survive in Overwatch, or from Mortal Kombat couldn't defeat the doom (slayer) marine. Don't you remember any survival horror videogame when the PC gets enough weapons and ammo to fight the boss monsters? for example Resident Evil or Evil Within.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads