Worlds of Design: The Importance of Self-Consistency

Internal self-consistency, creating stories that fit together and make sense, is critical if you want your players to be immersed in your game.

Internal self-consistency, creating stories that fit together and make sense, is critical if you want your players to be immersed in your game.

amiracleoccurs.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Please Note: This article contains spoilers for John Carter.

“A Miracle Occurs”​

Today my topic is internal self-consistency, creating stories that don't have "plot holes big enough to drive a truck through", and don't change the rules of engagement as the story progresses. "Consumers" of stories, whether in writing, film, TV, play, oral, or something else, must suspend their disbelief as they listen to the story in order to be immersed in it, to play along with the storyteller. When a story isn't internally self-consistent, immersion may be broken.

To illustrate, I once saw a one-panel cartoon where a professorial/scientist type in a white coat is writing on a chalkboard as seated people watch. On left and right of the board are complex-looking calculations written small. In the middle of the board, connecting the two sets of writing, are the words "And a Miracle Occurs".

That miracle is what storytellers want to avoid, in the same way that they want to avoid Deus Ex Machina when they apply plot twists and avoid overuse of coincidence (even though it worked for Edgar Rice Burroughs). The storyteller doesn't want to give consumers excuses to break immersion, to fail to suspend their disbelief.

Part of self-consistency is not making mistakes, not turning someone who's right-handed into a lefty, not changing someone's favorite drink into something else, and so forth. But mistakes in other media are more an issue with editing, and for game masters playing a game in real time, mistakes are bound to happen. It's when those mistakes create anachronisms or miracles that consistency starts to break down and threaten immersion.

Anachronisms​

Anachronisms are an obvious form of lack of self-consistency. ("Anachronism: a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned.") If a Colt .45 shows up in a setting that's quite medieval, participants will wonder how it got there. Another would be accurate clocks in a Dark Age setting. On the other hand, a bronze sword would also be out of place. These can have explanations in a fantasy world, but they're still jarring when first encountered by the consumer of the story.

What Constitutes a Miracle?​

Standards of what "miracles" are acceptable vary a lot. In television writing, the writers don't seem to care much, and all kinds of miracles commonly occur during a series even though most viewers don't recognize them as miracles.

Part of the reason for this lack of consistency: the massive desire of showrunners today to have "surprise reveals" in their stories. The disease has worked its way into film as well.

John Carter​

The writers of the movie "John Carter" had an outstanding story from Burroughs' A Princess of Mars, but changed it for the worse. One change was a big reveal about
Carter having been married, and finding his wife and child killed by bandits when he came home from the Civil War. It's poorly done: the movie makes much more sense on second viewing. (In the book, Carter had never had a wife or lover before appearing on Mars.) Another change was to make the opposition super-powerful, impossible to defeat in the long run. We can ask why the bad guys near the movie's end didn't simply kill Carter (as they had killed so many others), much simpler than sending him back to earth! What nonsense! The writers had written themselves into a hole, "and a miracle occurred."

On the other hand, many writers expect that most viewers will accept such miracles as a matter of course.

Internal Consistency in Your Campaign​

Even in the Lord of the Rings (LOTR), some people point to inconsistency because the giant eagles should have carried the Ringbearer directly to Mount Doom. Yet we can suppose that the eagles were frightened to take the chance, and that the Powers That Be thought the eagles were sure to be intercepted; but Tolkien didn't address the possibility. In general, LOTR is much more self-consistent than typical fiction today, despite its fantastic setting.

Similarly, because fantasy games tend to be fluid and evolve over time, it can be easy for game masters to contradict the events in their game from previous sessions. Whether or not players care about this likely depends on the group, how often they play, and how much internal consistency in the world is expected from the onset.

When these sorts of inconsistencies happen, it's up to the GM to figure out how to make it right (assuming that even matters to the players). Magical solutions and divine intervention abound; something television and movies have primed us for.

Your Turn: How much do you concern yourself with internal consistency?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

I know it's not entirely germaine to the subject, but, despite its changes, I absolutely adore John Carter, recommend it to everyone that I can, and think it was better than almost every adventure movie made in the last 20 years (not that surprising, considering its influence on sci-fi and superheroes). I will forgive a lot for that film.

Ixal

Hero
Fully agree.
Which is why I came to loath D&Ds kitchen sink or Paizos meta-region design . It does not make any sense when you have vastly different countries with a huge technological difference in contact with each other and never influence and copy from another for centuries to keep the tropes pure. Like having steampunk wild west country just a few hundred miles from dark age horror country.

And sadly I have the feeling entertainment creators expect their customers to ignore plot holes and instead focus only on either action or feelings. See for example the latest Star Trek shows (JJ and Discovery) or the Paizo meta regions they are pushing I mentioned.
And even sadder is that this strategy seems to work and most customers dont care about the plot, based on the hostile reactions you get when pointing out or complaining about plot holes.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Internal setting consistency is paramount.

By that, though, I mean internal consistency with itself. If the setting plays fast and loose with real-world Earth history or has spaceships showing up in a medieval setting that's fine, as long as things established in the setting remain established and that there's at least some sort of basis underpinning it all.

Rules consistency is also extremely important. If something is ruled to work in a certain manner once then that sets a precedent for the campaign that if the same situation arises again the players can safely and correctly assume the same rule will apply.

Greggy C

Hero
I don't my plots were ever so "deep" in the old days that inconsistency of plot was really a concern. I think movies and tv series as a medium is much more prone to have obvious inconsistencies, because you as the viewer are viewing from an all encompassing perspective.

You as a player have no idea that the evil villain wizard went from murdering everyone on sight, to you know what I think I'll help these players. Or that the army went from being 1000 miles away to 2 miles away in an instant, cause the DM needed it.

Von Ether

Legend
Fully agree.
Which is why I came to loath D&Ds kitchen sink or Paizos meta-region design . It does not make any sense when you have vastly different countries with a huge technological difference in contact with each other and never influence and copy from another for centuries to keep the tropes pure. Like having steampunk wild west country just a few hundred miles from dark age horror country.

And sadly I have the feeling entertainment creators expect their customers to ignore plot holes and instead focus only on either action or feelings. See for example the latest Star Trek shows (JJ and Discovery) or the Paizo meta regions they are pushing I mentioned.
And even sadder is that this strategy seems to work and most customers dont care about the plot, based on the hostile reactions you get when pointing out or complaining about plot holes.

It doesn't make any world-building sense or simulation sense, but it makes great gamification sense.

WotC provides different settings for High Fantasy, Gothic dark fantasy, and fantasy noir. But Paizo offers a different region for a different motif, which provides the benefit that if players don't have make up new characters or come up with a dimensional skip justification when they want to change the flavor of their campaign. I assume many GMs enjoy that level of convenience to the point that poking that bubble is irritates them when they should be simply say, "That's your bug, but my feature" and let is slide off.

And when you consider that whole campaigns can happen in just one city (Lanhkmar, Ptolus, Waterdeep, Freeport, etc.) or part of region (Sword Coast, The Grand Duchy, etc.}, the economics of magic, technology back and fourth on a magicpunk Silk Road seem (painfully) irrelevant.

And if a Silk Road existed in a fantasy world, we’d have more Eberron-style settings -not less.

This is probably why a lot of GMs do home games, because these differences matter to them. Oddly enough most players will never notice them. Or if the GM tells them such a factoid, it's quickly forgotten.

For genre entertainment, I live with such a person. They loooove the baby yoda and any Star Wars connected to it. OTH, they literally can't tell the difference between the Expanse and Star Trek and roll their eyes when I try to tell them the difference. All hard core world building (Expanse) and even the barest lip service to science (Star Trek) turns them off. (Btw, I love all three for different reasons) The nods to realism are not only wasted on them, in some cases it means wasted effort. It's not an expectation, my friend, that cool characters and emotions drive the focus of a story its the vast norm that puts food on the table for creatives.

I'm getting the vibe the phrase "plot hole" here is getting confabulated between a literal plot hole in the bubble of a particular episode vs an inconstancy in canon/world-building overall as a series continues. An assessment can be correct in both versions of "plot hole," but it's better to stick to the one more relevant to the discussion (world building.)

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
There is another element of consistency to consider for RPG's anyway and that's campaign length. If you are running a very short campaign - say 1-5 sessions long, consistency generally isn't much of an issue since there is so little to be consistent about. On the other hand, if you're running a multi-year epic length campaign where you have a shopping list of established campaign facts, consistency becomes more important (and probably a lot more difficult).

I can't remember the number of times I've referred to a past NPC as "That time you met [insert proper noun here] (yes, I actually SAY "Insert Proper Noun Here), you remember, with the fish and the dragon..." I truly, truly loathe proper nouns. :D

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
When there are inconsistencies within a published adventure or game product that you're about to run for your players, it is you (the GM) who has the power to become "a miracle" that "occurs". You are the bridge between your players' perceptions and the intended experience for your game. There is no excuse for a poorly written product. But you cannot expect a stranger to know what style is preferred by you and your players, the characters involved in your campaigns, and the details of your homebrew or adapted setting.

But consistency doesn't begin and end with the adventure and the setting. Your players, and more importantly, their characters should be consistent with the campaign. Players want to feel like their characters belong in a story and not just along for the ride. But even if they know the world or setting well, they can't possibly know everything you might have planned ahead.

This is why I take a lot of interest in helping develop characters with my players that will be embedded in the plots and secrets that they could never be aware of. No one ever just shows up at the right place and falls in line with the group. There is a reason, and a motive, and sometimes a secret. Characters that are not integrated into the campaign or adventure makes the whole game inconsistent.

I disagree with the basic idea.
"And a Miracle Occurs" can still be consistent.

in star trek we have teleporters. it is consistent. However it was pointed out many times that the Heisenberg principle meant they can't work the way they say they do... the answer, in TNG we have geordi and O brian fixing 'Heisenberg compensators'

all a Heisenberg Compensator is, is a sci fi "And a Miracle Occurs".
we are playing a game full of magic... literally a Miracle could occur

also Anachronisms make no sense unless you are playing in earth history... because the game doesn't model anytime period but a general feel. Even then in a very real history you could have a cowboy, a Victorian detective, a samaras all fight a early predecessor to a tank... but it would FEEL anachronistic because we now put them in different genre.
The following is imho, of course.

Magic is not a miracle in a world with magic. Magic is part of that world's natural laws. Magic has laws, or at least boundaries, and is consistent. You (at least as the DM) know what it can, and can't, do. Players not knowing is no different from their ignorance of anything else in the game world. In the end it is "knowable".

As for anachronisms I agree with you (and I think the OP), for me this is a term for anything that doesn't fit the world / setting, not a reference to some ahistorical issue specifically.

I keep my world consistent and ultimately "knowable". I maintain the worlds verisimilitude. Time and again my players have had those moments of "Oh, remember that thing, it was X". It's satisfying when they figure it out (for them and me). They are avid collectors of lore and background information, immersed and vested in the setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads