Worlds of Design: The Lost Art of Being Lost

If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost. Yet it’s much less likely to happen nowadays.

If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost. Yet it’s much less likely to happen nowadays.

orientation-7440747_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

You got to go down a lot of wrong roads to find the right one. - Bob Parsons
If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost, or cut off from retracing their path home (which amounts to the same thing). Remember how exciting it was? Getting lost is a common occurrence in actual military operations. Yet it’s much less likely to happen in tabletop RPGs nowadays.

Fog of War​

In the first years of playing Dungeons & Dragons, many of my most memorable adventures were ones where we got lost in a place with few pathways, such as a dungeon. The cause could be as simple as a one-way door, or a rotating room. But this has changed, and it’s due in no small part to computer role-playing games (CRPGs).

In D&D’s early days, one of the fundamental roles of any party was the mapper. The idea being that the dungeon was concealed through fog of war, in which games simulate ignorance of strength and position of friends and foes. A common staple of board games, it was carried over into wargames and D&D. A mapper was an out-of-game role for a player (although presumably, the player’s character was also creating a map) so that retreat and further exploration were possible.

Fog of war changed how D&D was played. Being lost or cut off from home requires a different mode of play. In typical play you can go through an encounter or two, then stop (or go back home) to recover before you continue. But when you’re lost, you have to husband your resources much more carefully (depends on the game rules, of course).

Fog of war has a lot of fiddly tactical elements, not the least of which being that it requires keeping players in the dark. Dungeon masters must keep track of what’s happening with two separate maps, one representing the “real” dungeon and one representing what the PCs have explored. If the game is procedurally generated, it may be that even the DM doesn’t know the layout of the “real” dungeon, creating it as the players explore it.

This is a lot of work, which is why when the concept was ported to CRPGs, mapping was offloaded to the program.

Computers Take Over​

The Dunjonquest series of games were one of the first to replicate dungeon exploring, using numbered rooms and text descriptions that were read separately in a booklet resembling a pen-and-paper adventure module. But it wasn’t long before games just mapped everything for you. As computer power increased, virtual worlds got bigger, as did the opportunity for players to get lost. Many CRPGs provide waypoints that show the direction, if not the distance, to the next quest.

This led to the conventional wisdom that CRPGs should “always make sure the player knows what to do/where to go next.” It’s a form of handholding, making sure that players don’t get frustrated, that derives in part from the prevalence of free-to-play (F2P) games. If a free game is frustrating, players may quit it and (easily) find another to play.

The design objective in free-to-play video games is not to challenge the player(s), but to engage them in an electronic playground long enough that they’ll decide to spend money on micro transactions, or other methods of acquiring the player’s money. In a game that costs the player nothing to procure, anything that’s frustrating tends to be avoided, except when that frustration is a slow progress “pain point” that the player can fix by spending some money to speed things up. Negative consequences are avoided.

This approach can surprised players accustomed to CRPG-style exploration.

The Fun of Getting Lost​

The same factors that led to CRPGs streamlining mapping affect tabletop games: lack of players, lack of time, and getting players up to speed quickly so they can play.

While getting lost can be fun, not everyone wants their first play experience to be wandering around in the dark. New players expect to jump into the action, at least in part because so many other forms of entertainment allow them to do just that.

This of course depends on the style of play. Players might not be as frustrated in sessions where the GM is telling a story, as players will regard getting lost as a necessary part of the story. In a story, getting lost is exciting and mysterious. But (as GM) if you’re “writing” a story for your players, you have to control when they get lost, you can’t let it happen randomly. And if they’re used to you guiding them through a story, they’ll lose that excitement and mystery of getting lost, because they’ll know you’re in control.

Consider the Secret Door​

Whether or not a DM uses secret doors encapsulates if characters can get lost in a dungeon. If the DM is telling a story, a secret door is more of an obstacle—the PCs will presumably find it no matter what to progress the story. If the DM is running the game as a simulation in which the PCs’ dungeoneering skills are tested, the secret door may not be found at all and the room behind it may never be discovered.

Where this becomes an issue if players think they’re playing a story game but the DM is running a simulation. A dislike of secret doors by novices in D&D, sometimes termed by players as a “dirty GM trick,” represents the conflicting approaches. Some players want clear paths instead of obstacles. They’re not interested in allowing secret doors to perform their primary function: rewarding players for skillful dungeoneering.

Video gamers learn what they "should" do next. Board gamers of the Eurostyle learn the Generally Accepted Best Move in This Situation, and other players may actually get mad at you if you play differently! (This is partly a consequence of "multiple paths to victory" that everyone must follow to solve the puzzle of the parallel competition.) TTRPGers have much more "freedom," fortunately.

If your campaign is a simulation, then getting characters lost is a good way to challenge and excite players. If your game is a playground, or a storytelling session, the players might not react favorably.

Your Turn: Do you allow parties to get lost in your games?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Hussar

Legend
If there's a chance of the party getting lost in the wilderness, I make a roll "behind the screen" for the terrain against the party navigator's passive Survival score. If the roll beats the score, then the party moves in a direction randomly determined with another roll behind the screen for the next four hours.
Ok. Fair enough.

Now, how is this enjoyable? The players have no real input here. It's pretty much the DM playing alone. The rolls are made in secret, the results are secret and the next roll is also secret.

So... the players are engage here how?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Meanwhile, DnD straight up has a spells called Detect Secret Doors, Locate Person, Locate Object, and Find the Way.
Those first two spells must be 5e specials as I've never heard of 'em.

Locate Object is an oldie but it ain't perfect: it tells you something's within your range and gives a direction but doesn't tell you how to get there. Find the Path is much higher level and is, IMO, skirting the edge of broken if not crossing right over it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ok. Fair enough.

Now, how is this enjoyable? The players have no real input here. It's pretty much the DM playing alone. The rolls are made in secret, the results are secret and the next roll is also secret.

The player engagement comes when at some point they realize they're off course - perhaps way off course - and have to figure out what to do/where to go next.

Salmakia

Explorer
Getting "wilderness lost" is, in my opinion, never fun. The players are all adventurers... it should be assumed that they know how to use a compass and a map (which presumably they have, since even uncharted wilderness on the Material Plane is typically at least sketched into the map in a rough location).

There are three situations in which I think getting lost can become interesting and engaging:

(1) You are searching for someplace that has been hidden, like the entrance to a dungeon. Maybe you have clues that describe what kind of landscape this thing is located in, and can make Survival checks or rely on the DM's descriptions to try and accurately match the clues to the landscape. However in this case you always know your absolute location, just not your location relative to what you're searching for.

(2) The landscape is actively trying to thwart you. You are searching for a Druid's grove and they've enchanted the landscape around it to mislead travelers. Only by figuring that out and finding a way to circumvent it can you reach your goal.

(3) You are on a different Plane of Existence and the landscape is so alien that you inevitably get lost, but still just wandering around on a different Plane is bound to be interesting and cool in and of itself, unlike wandering through generic woodlands.

There are probably other scenarios in which getting lost can be fun, but those three are all interesting to me because (a) the landscape that you are lost in matters (as opposed to generic woodlands) and (b) you know you are lost and have to do something specific to get un-lost.

Hussar

Legend
Those first two spells must be 5e specials as I've never heard of 'em.

Locate Object is an oldie but it ain't perfect: it tells you something's within your range and gives a direction but doesn't tell you how to get there. Find the Path is much higher level and is, IMO, skirting the edge of broken if not crossing right over it.
Yeah, but the fact that you had autodetecting elves (1 in 6 without even trying), wands and various other magic items that detected secret doors, secret doors were never very secret for very long.

Hussar

Legend
The player engagement comes when at some point they realize they're off course - perhaps way off course - and have to figure out what to do/where to go next.
Yes, but, they can't do anything. It's a random roll to get unlost. There's nothing they can actually do. Just continue to slog until the dice gods say, "Hey, you're not lost anymore, back to your regularly scheduled content". They cannot "figure out where to go next" because if they can do that, then they aren't lost.

Oh noes, we had a bad roll and now we're lost. We wander around until we get a good roll and stop being lost sounds like the complete opposite of fun to me. Why did I just waste table time on a couple of dice rolls that are, at the end of the day, entirely meaningless?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Ok. Fair enough.

They're engaged in travelling. Their input is a declaration to travel in some direction. The check resolves the uncertainty of whether they'll be successful in doing so in a way that preserves the possibility of getting, and possibly staying, lost, so there are stakes to their navigation attempts.

Hussar

Legend
They're engaged in travelling. Their input is a declaration to travel in some direction. The check resolves the uncertainty of whether they'll be successful in doing so in a way that preserves the possibility of getting, and possibly staying, lost, so there are stakes to their navigation attempts.
But, traveling isn't something you do in the game. You simply state, "I want to move from A to B". There's nothing else to be engaged with. If I get lost, I have zero input into getting unlost because it's just a random roll.

Traveling without getting lost is typically 30 seconds at the table. You spend three days traveling from A to B, you have this many encounters along the way. The fun part is the encounters. Traveling? Who cares? There's nothing inherently interesting about travel in the game.

Even in a exploration game, it's revealing the next hex that's interesting. Ok, I'm lost, so, I stop revealing hexes. Well, I keep rolling dice until I can start doing the stuff that I actually want to do - revealing hexes - again.

The mind numbing tedium that DM's think is fun for players just baffles me to no end. I'm playing with a DM who thinks the way you do @Hriston - that every single thing you do in the game must be detailed out. It's tedious and boring. Just like being lost in real life.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
But, traveling isn't something you do in the game. You simply state, "I want to move from A to B". There's nothing else to be engaged with. If I get lost, I have zero input into getting unlost because it's just a random roll.
That's not true. If you realize you're lost, you can try to figure out where you went wrong and try to get back on course. It's a puzzle to engage with as a player.

Traveling without getting lost is typically 30 seconds at the table. You spend three days traveling from A to B, you have this many encounters along the way. The fun part is the encounters. Traveling? Who cares? There's nothing inherently interesting about travel in the game.

Even in a exploration game, it's revealing the next hex that's interesting. Ok, I'm lost, so, I stop revealing hexes. Well, I keep rolling dice until I can start doing the stuff that I actually want to do - revealing hexes - again.
No, you continue travelling into new hexes. They just might not be the hexes you think they are.

The mind numbing tedium that DM's think is fun for players just baffles me to no end. I'm playing with a DM who thinks the way you do @Hriston - that every single thing you do in the game must be detailed out. It's tedious and boring. Just like being lost in real life.
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you're projecting some of your frustration with your current DM onto this conversation.

Remove ads

Remove ads