Worlds of Design: The Lost Art of Being Lost

If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost. Yet it’s much less likely to happen nowadays.

If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost. Yet it’s much less likely to happen nowadays.

orientation-7440747_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

You got to go down a lot of wrong roads to find the right one. - Bob Parsons
If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost, or cut off from retracing their path home (which amounts to the same thing). Remember how exciting it was? Getting lost is a common occurrence in actual military operations. Yet it’s much less likely to happen in tabletop RPGs nowadays.

Fog of War​

In the first years of playing Dungeons & Dragons, many of my most memorable adventures were ones where we got lost in a place with few pathways, such as a dungeon. The cause could be as simple as a one-way door, or a rotating room. But this has changed, and it’s due in no small part to computer role-playing games (CRPGs).

In D&D’s early days, one of the fundamental roles of any party was the mapper. The idea being that the dungeon was concealed through fog of war, in which games simulate ignorance of strength and position of friends and foes. A common staple of board games, it was carried over into wargames and D&D. A mapper was an out-of-game role for a player (although presumably, the player’s character was also creating a map) so that retreat and further exploration were possible.

Fog of war changed how D&D was played. Being lost or cut off from home requires a different mode of play. In typical play you can go through an encounter or two, then stop (or go back home) to recover before you continue. But when you’re lost, you have to husband your resources much more carefully (depends on the game rules, of course).

Fog of war has a lot of fiddly tactical elements, not the least of which being that it requires keeping players in the dark. Dungeon masters must keep track of what’s happening with two separate maps, one representing the “real” dungeon and one representing what the PCs have explored. If the game is procedurally generated, it may be that even the DM doesn’t know the layout of the “real” dungeon, creating it as the players explore it.

This is a lot of work, which is why when the concept was ported to CRPGs, mapping was offloaded to the program.

Computers Take Over​

The Dunjonquest series of games were one of the first to replicate dungeon exploring, using numbered rooms and text descriptions that were read separately in a booklet resembling a pen-and-paper adventure module. But it wasn’t long before games just mapped everything for you. As computer power increased, virtual worlds got bigger, as did the opportunity for players to get lost. Many CRPGs provide waypoints that show the direction, if not the distance, to the next quest.

This led to the conventional wisdom that CRPGs should “always make sure the player knows what to do/where to go next.” It’s a form of handholding, making sure that players don’t get frustrated, that derives in part from the prevalence of free-to-play (F2P) games. If a free game is frustrating, players may quit it and (easily) find another to play.

The design objective in free-to-play video games is not to challenge the player(s), but to engage them in an electronic playground long enough that they’ll decide to spend money on micro transactions, or other methods of acquiring the player’s money. In a game that costs the player nothing to procure, anything that’s frustrating tends to be avoided, except when that frustration is a slow progress “pain point” that the player can fix by spending some money to speed things up. Negative consequences are avoided.

This approach can surprised players accustomed to CRPG-style exploration.

The Fun of Getting Lost​

The same factors that led to CRPGs streamlining mapping affect tabletop games: lack of players, lack of time, and getting players up to speed quickly so they can play.

While getting lost can be fun, not everyone wants their first play experience to be wandering around in the dark. New players expect to jump into the action, at least in part because so many other forms of entertainment allow them to do just that.

This of course depends on the style of play. Players might not be as frustrated in sessions where the GM is telling a story, as players will regard getting lost as a necessary part of the story. In a story, getting lost is exciting and mysterious. But (as GM) if you’re “writing” a story for your players, you have to control when they get lost, you can’t let it happen randomly. And if they’re used to you guiding them through a story, they’ll lose that excitement and mystery of getting lost, because they’ll know you’re in control.

Consider the Secret Door​

Whether or not a DM uses secret doors encapsulates if characters can get lost in a dungeon. If the DM is telling a story, a secret door is more of an obstacle—the PCs will presumably find it no matter what to progress the story. If the DM is running the game as a simulation in which the PCs’ dungeoneering skills are tested, the secret door may not be found at all and the room behind it may never be discovered.

Where this becomes an issue if players think they’re playing a story game but the DM is running a simulation. A dislike of secret doors by novices in D&D, sometimes termed by players as a “dirty GM trick,” represents the conflicting approaches. Some players want clear paths instead of obstacles. They’re not interested in allowing secret doors to perform their primary function: rewarding players for skillful dungeoneering.

Video gamers learn what they "should" do next. Board gamers of the Eurostyle learn the Generally Accepted Best Move in This Situation, and other players may actually get mad at you if you play differently! (This is partly a consequence of "multiple paths to victory" that everyone must follow to solve the puzzle of the parallel competition.) TTRPGers have much more "freedom," fortunately.

If your campaign is a simulation, then getting characters lost is a good way to challenge and excite players. If your game is a playground, or a storytelling session, the players might not react favorably.

Your Turn: Do you allow parties to get lost in your games?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm trying to think of the last time as a player or a DM I've actually been lost during a game. I'm sure it's happened, but, it's never been memorable enough to matter. Being lost in an RPG is generally a couple of die rolls and you're unlost, regardless of edition.

There were always pretty easy ways to not be lost in any edition.

But, the bigger point is, what is the challenge here? Ok, you're lost. Great. We'll say you're lost in a desert. It's hostile. Now, the group generally is going to be carrying at least three or four days worth of supplies. That's guaranteed. Which means the casters have enough time to switch out their spells to get Create Water or Create Food and Water. So, poof, that removes any food and water issues. You might have random encounters. Ok. well, great. We're supposed to be having encounters - that's why we're here in the first place. So, again, it's not really doing anything - does it matter if the encounter was generated on a random table or is the one the DM prepared beforehand?

IOW, this is one of those things that I find that DM's bang on about but in actual play have pretty much zero impact. I mean, look at @lewpuls opening article. There's actually nothing in there that tells me why or how being lost can be fun at the table. All I see are repeated complaints that we don't get lost anymore and the idea that getting lost is fun is just assumed.

Why and how is getting lost fun for the table?
In Level Up, you can absolutely get lost and potentially be in trouble, because magic won't solve all your survival problems. It also has systems for finding and doing cool stuff while out in the wild. In vanilla 5e, sure.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
No, you continue travelling into new hexes. They just might not be the hexes you think they are.
Thing is the DM has prepped up a cool dungeon and put it on the other side of the Wild Wood.

Do we really want to spend the next 5 turns lost and wandering eastward through a series of random encounters that drain resources and cause fatigue or do we want to get to the cool dungeon the DM spent three days prepping?
or should DMs be required to have a fully planned sandbox just incase the players go the wrong direction? Or should we just move the dungeon, in which case the PCs were never actually lost were they?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Do you allow parties to get lost?
That's like asking, "do you allow PCs to get their domes knocked in by warhammers if they don't wear helmets?"

What's fun about getting lost?
Getting lost is just one reason of many that overland (or underland) travel can be treacherous. Say that your party was lucky enough to find a respectable map of the area. If there are two areas on that map, "here there be giants" and "here there be dragons," well, getting lost between the two ups the stakes a little bit, huh?

But D&D has magic!
Funny thing about magic - there's also anti-magic(s). And if the party wizard is the cautious type, each moment spent studying a location spell is one wasted on what could have been a kill-the-evil-things-on-the-perimeter spell.

I generally agree with the sentiment, but I don’t buy the connection to video games. Too much get-off-my-lawnism.

Yeah, the difficulty in emulating lost-ness has been a problem since the very first player came up with the idea of drawing out the dungeon on graph paper as the PCs progressed through it. As soon as there's a map, and as soon as all players have a top-down view of it all the time during play, you do lose a bit of the full 'Where the **** am i? Do i take the third or fourth corridor here?' experience, or he disorientation that PCs would experience actually living in the environment rather than enjoying a tactical top-down view of it.

We use a VTT in our game, and in most cases we have visibility set to line-of-sight only. Which does help the experience tactically, but of course it's never quite the same.

Ironically, unlike the OP I think that the getting-lost experience is actually better emulated in video games (the ones where there's some sort of open-ish world and no waypoints or navigation map at least). The first-person perspective, and the bewilderment as you go through all the identical corridors and wonder where the hell you are, is much closer to the real-life experience than you can get around a table with a top-down map. Plus, video game mazes CAN do tricks like sneakily teleporting you places or rearranging the walls behind you, which are much harder to pull off in a tabletop or VTT game.

Hussar

Legend
That's not true. If you realize you're lost, you can try to figure out where you went wrong and try to get back on course. It's a puzzle to engage with as a player.

No, you continue travelling into new hexes. They just might not be the hexes you think they are.

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you're projecting some of your frustration with your current DM onto this conversation.
But, there's nothing to "figure out". The only reason I'm lost is because of a random die roll. The only way to stop being lost is to roll another random die roll.

Current DM? Good grief, this has been true since day 1. DM's that insist on dragging out completely pointless, boring interactions out of some sense of making the players "earn" their victories.

Again, nothing that's been said here points to why being lost is fun or enjoyable. At best it's boring and at worst it's tedious. Just like being lost in real life. "I continue wandering around randomly" is about as far as fun or enjoyable as it gets. There's no actual tension here, since, eventually, we'll stop being lost. There's nothing to interact with since the only things we find will be entirely random and, at the end of the day, pointless.

Oh, gee, I get to randomly interact with randomly generated content. Heck, if we bring this back around to video games, proceduraly generated quests are seen as the lowest form of game design in CRPG's since they are inherently pointless.

GDGD

microscopic
In Eberron, there's an entire continent under a curse intended to all but guarantee travelers will become lost.

Although, in general, one challenge with "you get lost" as an adventure design trope is that it falls under the category of "forced fails". All you need is a ranger who can roll a 30 on their Wisdom (Survival) check and it all falls apart, or overrides PC abilities in a heavy handed and unsatisfying way.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thing is the DM has prepped up a cool dungeon and put it on the other side of the Wild Wood.

Do we really want to spend the next 5 turns lost and wandering eastward through a series of random encounters that drain resources and cause fatigue or do we want to get to the cool dungeon the DM spent three days prepping?
or should DMs be required to have a fully planned sandbox just incase the players go the wrong direction?
The answer to all three of those questions is "yes".

The DM might have spent three days preppng the Coolest Dungeon Ever (tm) yet it matters not a whit whether we get to it this session or next session or three months from now - it'll still be there and it'll still be cool. In the meantime we're doing other things en route to getting there, and probably making a fine mess of the Wild Wood in the process. :).
Or should we just move the dungeon,
No.

Clint_L

Hero
Hmmm...this is making me realize how much mapping has fallen victim to my side-hobby of making 3d sets for the battles using 3d terrain and miniatures. These days I tend to treat the map as a way to get the important part: showing off my stuff. I probably need to rethink this approach because I agree that there is a lot of fun narrative value in the players trying to keep track of where they are.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Those first two spells must be 5e specials as I've never heard of 'em.
Detect secret doors: 3e
Find the way: most likely a slightly misremembered name, because find the path has existed since OD&D.

So...yeah. Not new to 5e. Also, if detect secret doors doesn't meet whatever pedigree standards you decide upon after having already heard about it, true seeing has been around since AD&D.

Locate Object is an oldie but it ain't perfect: it tells you something's within your range and gives a direction but doesn't tell you how to get there. Find the Path is much higher level and is, IMO, skirting the edge of broken if not crossing right over it.
Okay. It's been around since literally OD&D, as noted above. This would not only predate things like freemium games, it predates most people who currently play D&D.

I probably need to rethink this approach because I agree that there is a lot of fun narrative value in the players trying to keep track of where they are.
What "narrative" value, exactly? I don't see much story behind "oh, we got lost" in and of itself. Getting lost while trying to get somewhere is a complication for the story of "trying to get somewhere." Getting lost while exploring something...is again a complication on the story "exploring." Being lost doesn't really do anything; it's a seasoning, not a dish, and one that can easily be used to excess.

Remove ads

Remove ads