Worlds of Design: The Lost Art of Running Away

How often does an adventuring party avoid an encounter, even run away from one? This used to be common in earlier versions of the game, but less so now. What changed?

How often does an adventuring party avoid an encounter, even run away from one? This used to be common in earlier versions of the game, but less so now. What changed?

vintage-1721959_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.
Run away, run away!” King Arthur, fleeing the carnivorous rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Do you ever have your character run away in video games? In most video games, because there's the "save game" mode, there's no incentive to run away. Try to beat the enemy, and if that doesn't work, respawn and either try again or wait until you're stronger. You can't do that as easily in tabletop role-playing games, where if you die, you die. (Well, most of the time . . .)

On the other hand, players from my campaign have been struck by how seldom other gaming groups actually gather intelligence, or run away. They'd learned not to fight every fight, not to jump on every random encounter, not to push beyond their limits while relying on the GM to bail them out. Fighting every encounter becomes habit with some players, to the point that they may characterize a too-tough encounter a GM failure, not their failure to recognize when they should bail out (or not even start a fight).

This is exacerbated by GMs who, if players won't take on an encounter NOW, will not let them take it on later when they're better prepared. In my opinion, this encourages foolish choices in a tactical-style game. It's OK when you play a storytelling game, where characters aren't really in danger unless the story requires it.

Perhaps another reason why running away is uncommon, is that there's work involved. Avoiding a too-tough encounter requires good scouting as well as good intelligence-gathering (such as interrogating prisoners). But poor scouting is not confined to RPGs; it was a characteristic of many ancient and medieval armies. Entire armies could be ambushed because of poor scouting (as Romans at Lake Trasimene by Hannibal). Roman and Macedonian armies at the Battle of Cynoscephalae marched along with a ridge in between, unaware of their immediate proximity despite earlier skirmishes near Pherae, until someone went atop the ridge and spotted the enemy.

I think part of succeeding, in military terms especially, should be knowing when NOT to fight. Think about combat odds from "Always tell me the Odds." If you recognize how dangerous combat can be, and avoid the most dangerous when you can ("run away"), you're actually helping out your GM, who has the difficult task of making combat feel dangerous without making it too dangerous!

Of course, in earlier editions of the game, one of the most exciting adventures was where you got lost. Then it's extra smart to avoid fighting. Perhaps if parties got lost more often, they’d be less in the habit of fighting everything. So what can a GM do to encourage players to avoid fighting what they should not?
  • Emphasize the mission. A random encounter along the way may be worth avoiding simply because it doesn't move the mission forward. Which brings us to...
  • Give mission-based XP rather than XP for "monsters" killed. If you give XP for every encounter regardless of relevance to the mission, many players are going to fight every encounter just for the XP.
  • Let interrogation yield useful information. Not every time, of course, but often enough that players will take prisoners, and even organize cutting-out expeditions to capture someone, in order to gather information. If interrogation never works, who's going to bother with prisoners?
  • Don't let adventure publisher control how you GM the adventure. Modules tend to assume the party will fight whatever it encounters. You don't need to do it that way.
  • Or at worst, let the party get their butts well and truly kicked a few times, and they might decide to pick and choose their battles.
My question to readers: how often does the party run away in your campaign?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Toyon

Villager
I once ran a 4e game where I showed the PC's the value of considering if an encounter really requires combat and the value of running away. It involved them walking by a giant ant hill. They saw the ants, and immediately attacked. Note that the ants weren't doing anything to the PC's, they were just being ants, albeit giant. So like always happens when you stir up an ant hill, as time went on, more ants poured out of the hole and attacked. They might kill one, but soon two, then three would take the dead one's place. They finally got the hint and ran away! I based the XP on how many ants it took them to figure it out - the more ants that came out before they ran, the less XP they got. They got the point and were a little bit more circumspect about attacking in the future.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Isn't the hp for a 14th level magic-user 11d4+3? That's an average of 30.5, no?

He has to cast GoI first, though, right? It has a casting time of 4 segments...odds are against him getting that off. And then he spent a round doing no damage, giving the fighter types a chance to close and engage him in melee which is the last thing he wants.

His offense is fine (though remember his fireball is doing 14d6 in 1e) and if he can get his bang spells off, he's good. It's just that when you look at the probability of him doing so, it's not good.

For purposes of the discussion at hand (overcoming a random encounter) forcing him to retreat is fine.

I am not saying the PCs win all the time, but, mathematically, the lone 14th level magic-user against 6 PCs is in trouble.
If said lone MU can get a Monster Summoning off and give himself some damage soaks and meat shields, however, the PCs' day just got a lot harder... :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You just have to look at Thieves vs Rogues to see how the game changed. Thieves were not strikers. They were pretty useless in combat. Their function was to sneak, scout, and disarm traps. Once combat kicked off they backed away (and remember, they couldn't even use bows). Thieves only make sense as a class if evading encounters is an assumed element of the game.
Well, a Thief could always sneak into combat and backstrike a foe now and then - they weren't (and aren't) completely useless.

But yes, they're not a front-line combat class by any means. :)

Orius

Legend
Backstab wasn't as clearly defined as Sneak Attack though, and so things depended on just how much the DM was willing to let a player do. I've never been a big fan of the old thief though. 2e had the best implementation and then I didn't care for it. A lot of players seemed to like it, but quite frankly, I'd rather play the cleric instead.

Hussar

Legend
Heh, I could never understand why you would play a straight thief and not an elven thief/mu - after about 4th level, you needed less xp/level than pretty much any single classed character. Or, put it another way, the xp for a 9th level fighter made me a 10th Thief/9th MU. Hrm, give up 1 level of MU for 10 levels of thief? Ok. Not exactly a hard trade.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads