Worlds of Design: The Lost Art of Running Away

How often does an adventuring party avoid an encounter, even run away from one? This used to be common in earlier versions of the game, but less so now. What changed?

How often does an adventuring party avoid an encounter, even run away from one? This used to be common in earlier versions of the game, but less so now. What changed?

vintage-1721959_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.
Run away, run away!” King Arthur, fleeing the carnivorous rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Do you ever have your character run away in video games? In most video games, because there's the "save game" mode, there's no incentive to run away. Try to beat the enemy, and if that doesn't work, respawn and either try again or wait until you're stronger. You can't do that as easily in tabletop role-playing games, where if you die, you die. (Well, most of the time . . .)

On the other hand, players from my campaign have been struck by how seldom other gaming groups actually gather intelligence, or run away. They'd learned not to fight every fight, not to jump on every random encounter, not to push beyond their limits while relying on the GM to bail them out. Fighting every encounter becomes habit with some players, to the point that they may characterize a too-tough encounter a GM failure, not their failure to recognize when they should bail out (or not even start a fight).

This is exacerbated by GMs who, if players won't take on an encounter NOW, will not let them take it on later when they're better prepared. In my opinion, this encourages foolish choices in a tactical-style game. It's OK when you play a storytelling game, where characters aren't really in danger unless the story requires it.

Perhaps another reason why running away is uncommon, is that there's work involved. Avoiding a too-tough encounter requires good scouting as well as good intelligence-gathering (such as interrogating prisoners). But poor scouting is not confined to RPGs; it was a characteristic of many ancient and medieval armies. Entire armies could be ambushed because of poor scouting (as Romans at Lake Trasimene by Hannibal). Roman and Macedonian armies at the Battle of Cynoscephalae marched along with a ridge in between, unaware of their immediate proximity despite earlier skirmishes near Pherae, until someone went atop the ridge and spotted the enemy.

I think part of succeeding, in military terms especially, should be knowing when NOT to fight. Think about combat odds from "Always tell me the Odds." If you recognize how dangerous combat can be, and avoid the most dangerous when you can ("run away"), you're actually helping out your GM, who has the difficult task of making combat feel dangerous without making it too dangerous!

Of course, in earlier editions of the game, one of the most exciting adventures was where you got lost. Then it's extra smart to avoid fighting. Perhaps if parties got lost more often, they’d be less in the habit of fighting everything. So what can a GM do to encourage players to avoid fighting what they should not?
  • Emphasize the mission. A random encounter along the way may be worth avoiding simply because it doesn't move the mission forward. Which brings us to...
  • Give mission-based XP rather than XP for "monsters" killed. If you give XP for every encounter regardless of relevance to the mission, many players are going to fight every encounter just for the XP.
  • Let interrogation yield useful information. Not every time, of course, but often enough that players will take prisoners, and even organize cutting-out expeditions to capture someone, in order to gather information. If interrogation never works, who's going to bother with prisoners?
  • Don't let adventure publisher control how you GM the adventure. Modules tend to assume the party will fight whatever it encounters. You don't need to do it that way.
  • Or at worst, let the party get their butts well and truly kicked a few times, and they might decide to pick and choose their battles.
My question to readers: how often does the party run away in your campaign?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
We are 80 some sessions into my sandbox campaign and the players run away or tactically withdraw to regroup, a fair amount. Maybe once every 10 combats.

A lot of times they use hit and run tactics to weaken the enemy, but other times they get into a encounter that goes bad and the realize the can"t win or the price of winning is too high.

Obviously in sandbox play it is easy to get in overones head. In my players guide i gave them before the campaign one of the big pieces of advice was to know when to flee.

jasper

Rotten DM
Hahaha haah haa Use to be common. Ha ha ha. The only time back in 1E I saw half the party run away was when the sphere of annihilation came out the wall and we were 3rd or lower. Actually is was just a black balloon and the dm had thrown a real sphere at the gaming group the week before killing his best friend’s pc. So the DM was playing us not the pc. Half the games I played in before 3 E laughed at danger because a new pc was only five minutes and a bath room break away.

In 3E I got the group to run away about 3 times. One was Forge of Fury and I critical a pc and killed with the dragon’s first attack round. They did come back to lair a week later to kill the cheeky bugger. But it had moved and left half it treasure behind.

Currently I just run Adventure League. So with some builds, AL encounters become cakewalks in Tier 3+. But Skully 3 has 85 names on it. That is high for 235 sessions but I have a few gamers not care if they die.

1. Emphasize the mission. Running AL so I will not address this.
2. Mission based xp. AKA milestones is what AL is doing.
3.Interrogation. It works in some AL modules not others.
4. Modules suggest. DMs rule.
5. Be known to TPK. I only have 2. But see below.

I have had groups retreat during the hard covers, and run away occasionally in modules.
1. Roll in the open. Sorry Terrance I know you only show up every 3 months but that is the third crit I rolled on you.
2. Monsters can scout too. Or hear the dying of their friends. Play monsters smart but not super genius. My default on a zeroed out PC is roll an intelligence check. Roll at or below Int. I may swing on a KO PC.
3. The Players decide the tactics. Sometimes all it takes is one grunt, or well like and tactical player to change the odds.
4. While homebrewing I do agree with you. Let the party run away and regroup. But the monsters can do too. Let them take a short rest. The monsters can do too. I have when running a hard cover have a villain flee if the group took a rest before the boss fight. Or if we running late and up against the store closure.
During session 0 or when you have new players; let the players know you allow running away. I tell people, I will not kill their pc but the dice and their bad tactics will.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Crucial that the GM keeps running away as an option that isn’t a serious failure. Like the party is trapped in a dungeon (So running is literally not an option), or the bad guy is about to commit some horrendous act unless they stop it (So if they run their village or whatever will be wiped out). If this is done I find the players often try and avoid combat - provided they can see another way to reach their goals.

But of course many games (D&D included) are designed so playing out a combat is fun so that can’t be underestimated as a reason why players get into fights.

lewpuls

Hero
Interesting. Tactically in many games it's mechanically hard to escape. Plus in history running away lead to much massacre. PCs seem pretty good at not fighting in the first place / avoiding the conflict, but can't recall the last time I was in a party that ran away!
Yes, running away in a normal battle, after battle has been joined, can result in heavy casualties. I was thinking in terms of running away immediately, no battle. But with magic-equipped adventurers, who are much tougher than ordinary soldiers, running away after battle has been joined is still much better than fighting to the death when you're outmatched.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It all comes down to play experience. While we speak about "staying in character" and making choices like your character would, that is driven by a desire to get a good play experience out of it.

What's the play experience of gathering intelligence? If you, the GM, don't make that interesting, or even more importantly - useful, then players won't do it. Spending a couple of hours rolling stealth and observation to get small amounts of information that don't really change outcomes is not a good play experience.

Taking prisoners and interrogating them is an activity used by people who are members of large organizations with resources to deal with prisoners - police, military, and intelligence organizations take prisoners. For a group of five or so vigilante do-gooders, taking prisoners and interrogating them leaves them with practical/ethical issues afterwards. If you game is not set up for the PCs to have a way to deal with prisoners, don't expect them to do so.

The play experience point is relevant to running away as well. In fiction, writers use defeat as the basis for change in dramatic tension and direction. If you, the GM are not skilled at using it for such, to the players... it is just a downer. It is just losing. If you don't use it, running away is not a positive play experience - it is merely avoidance of the even more negative play experience of TPK.

Just avoiding an encounter entirely... if it is simple, why did you have the encounter at all?

Depends on the genre! A successful Call of Cthulhu campaign is full of running away! In Star Wars, you're going to be running away from the Empire a lot, especially early on.

Out of the 8 scores executed in my Blades in the Dark campaign so far, 5 of them ended with our crew running away to get away with their ill-gotten objective! Fleeing a collapsing warehouse full of screaming ghosts, jumping from balcony to balcony to escape the police, being the target of a steamship stern chase on the high seas, or dragging a VIP out of a faction lair through a ghost door...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I mean, I've certainly set up encounters that I don't expect the characters to fight and win. An army of demons, the tarrasque when the party is only level 9. But I telegraph to the players pretty obviously that this is a encounter to drive plot and gather information, not one I'm setting up for them to fight.

I definitely don't set up encounters where the characters discover that the enemies simply overmatch them and they need to do a fighting retreat. That just wastes valuable session time on something that doesn't advance either the character or the plot. I'd rather they just lose than retreat, if they lose I can give consequences and do a hard reframe of the story.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads