Worlds of Design: The Lost Art of Running Away

How often does an adventuring party avoid an encounter, even run away from one? This used to be common in earlier versions of the game, but less so now. What changed?

How often does an adventuring party avoid an encounter, even run away from one? This used to be common in earlier versions of the game, but less so now. What changed?

vintage-1721959_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.
Run away, run away!” King Arthur, fleeing the carnivorous rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Do you ever have your character run away in video games? In most video games, because there's the "save game" mode, there's no incentive to run away. Try to beat the enemy, and if that doesn't work, respawn and either try again or wait until you're stronger. You can't do that as easily in tabletop role-playing games, where if you die, you die. (Well, most of the time . . .)

On the other hand, players from my campaign have been struck by how seldom other gaming groups actually gather intelligence, or run away. They'd learned not to fight every fight, not to jump on every random encounter, not to push beyond their limits while relying on the GM to bail them out. Fighting every encounter becomes habit with some players, to the point that they may characterize a too-tough encounter a GM failure, not their failure to recognize when they should bail out (or not even start a fight).

This is exacerbated by GMs who, if players won't take on an encounter NOW, will not let them take it on later when they're better prepared. In my opinion, this encourages foolish choices in a tactical-style game. It's OK when you play a storytelling game, where characters aren't really in danger unless the story requires it.

Perhaps another reason why running away is uncommon, is that there's work involved. Avoiding a too-tough encounter requires good scouting as well as good intelligence-gathering (such as interrogating prisoners). But poor scouting is not confined to RPGs; it was a characteristic of many ancient and medieval armies. Entire armies could be ambushed because of poor scouting (as Romans at Lake Trasimene by Hannibal). Roman and Macedonian armies at the Battle of Cynoscephalae marched along with a ridge in between, unaware of their immediate proximity despite earlier skirmishes near Pherae, until someone went atop the ridge and spotted the enemy.

I think part of succeeding, in military terms especially, should be knowing when NOT to fight. Think about combat odds from "Always tell me the Odds." If you recognize how dangerous combat can be, and avoid the most dangerous when you can ("run away"), you're actually helping out your GM, who has the difficult task of making combat feel dangerous without making it too dangerous!

Of course, in earlier editions of the game, one of the most exciting adventures was where you got lost. Then it's extra smart to avoid fighting. Perhaps if parties got lost more often, they’d be less in the habit of fighting everything. So what can a GM do to encourage players to avoid fighting what they should not?
  • Emphasize the mission. A random encounter along the way may be worth avoiding simply because it doesn't move the mission forward. Which brings us to...
  • Give mission-based XP rather than XP for "monsters" killed. If you give XP for every encounter regardless of relevance to the mission, many players are going to fight every encounter just for the XP.
  • Let interrogation yield useful information. Not every time, of course, but often enough that players will take prisoners, and even organize cutting-out expeditions to capture someone, in order to gather information. If interrogation never works, who's going to bother with prisoners?
  • Don't let adventure publisher control how you GM the adventure. Modules tend to assume the party will fight whatever it encounters. You don't need to do it that way.
  • Or at worst, let the party get their butts well and truly kicked a few times, and they might decide to pick and choose their battles.
My question to readers: how often does the party run away in your campaign?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Later D&D versions got players used to only seeing level-appropriate opponents. Encounters became a resource management problem rather than a real threat, tracking healing and spell slots before deciding to continue for the fight. Yawn.
This. Encounter-level calculations suggest that your party will win the fight most of the time, but occasionally encounter something that's too difficult. When the latter happens, the solution is to gain more experience until your party wins the EL-calculation. I haven't seen a Non-Combat chapter that tells PCs how to win or prepare for a fight that they're likely to lose.

On the other hand, players from my campaign have been struck by how seldom other gaming groups actually gather intelligence, or run away. They'd learned not to fight every fight, not to jump on every random encounter, not to push beyond their limits while relying on the GM to bail them out. Fighting every encounter becomes habit with some players, to the point that they may characterize a too-tough encounter a GM failure, not their failure to recognize when they should bail out (or not even start a fight). . .

My question to readers: how often does the party run away in your campaign?
I've been in several situations, as a PC, in which my character decided that fighting was not a good option. The other PCs, however, saw things differently. To flee at that point is to abandon one's comrades. The peer pressure becomes metagaming when those hard-headed PCs start falling, and while they're unconscious, the players can still witness you running away from them even if the characters can't, so you don't. Lesson learned: run away early, while the other PCs still have the option to run. Then it's their fault that they died, not yours 🤓

I facilitate the flight of my PCs by giving them an extra combat action: Flee. Opponents with actions to use can attempt to block this, but since it means that the remaining PCs represent an easier fight, the NPCs are not likely to oppose it.

When I start DMing for a new group, I always give an encounter relatively early on that is obviously unwinnable, and forces the group to retreat. The retreat is always easy, and has no/little cost. The most typical method is slow moving slimes/oozes that are extremely easy to walk away from, but I've used a few different methods.

I have no idea if this is a sign of changing editions or changing expectations or what have you. For me, it's an important part of the social contract between DM and players. It establishes that I will kill you if you do something stupid; I don't play grim'n'gritty, but plot armor doesn't protect you from attacking something when it should be obvious you cannot win. It also establishes that running away is a valid tactic; I will let players run and not punish them for it.

Orcslayer78

Explorer
Games today are made to have balanced encouters players should overcome, but if a GM and his group decide they want more deadly encounters who could lead even to TPK and use Milestones instead than XP then avoiding encounters starts to become much more an interesting option.

Doug McCrae

Legend
In one of our 3.5e games it only became possible for the whole party to escape once my wizard PC learned dimension door. The cleric had a movement rate of 20ft in his plate armour while the giant monsters we typically faced had 30ft or higher.

Dioltach

Legend
In one of my sessions a while back, a PC suffered a couple of big hits in a fight with a dragon. So he fled the lair, taking the long route, and found himself outside just in time to AoO and kill the dragon, which had fled a few rounds after him but taken a shorter route.

In my other group, after 20+ years of playing together we finally figured out that the first step in any plan is to decide on an exit strategy.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
In one of our 3.5e games it only became possible for the whole party to escape once my wizard PC learned dimension door. The cleric had a movement rate of 20ft in his plate armour while the giant monsters we typically faced had 30ft or higher.

This was a major issue in 1e as well. That 20' of movement seems pretty fast compared to the 6" a heavily armored PC would have had in 1e.

I would love it if monsters and adversaries were designed to encourage surveillance and intel gathering. There's not enough incentive in 5E, I think.

Who here has played Horizon: Zero Dawn?

You sneak up on enemies, analyze their patrol route, figure out where they're vulnerable, and then take a moment to pick out the weapon you want to use. You might use a grappling line to pin a big monster so it can't attack you in melee. Or use a tripcaster to lay an explosive tripwire. Or fling flaming bombs to cause explosions if a robo-dinosaur has flammable components, or shocking bombs to temporarily disable certain tech. You might get a sort of autocrossbow to deal with swarms of humans, or rely on a nice hardpoint arrow to land a precision shot in the vulnerable eye of a Watcher.

You might sneak up and swing a spear haft into the gangly legs of a strider to knock it over so you can impale its vulnerable belly. Or use tearblast arrows that vibrate loose armor plating on a massive Thunderjaw so you can strike the mechanical components underneath. You might even occasionally knock a laser off a monster and be able to use the few lingering charges to shoot it with its own weapon.

If D&D had weapons of that much variety, and anyone could use them, then you'd have more reason to scout, or to hit a vulnerable enemy and then withdraw so you can switch weapons or craft something they'll be especially vulnerable to.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Scouting wasn't particularly viable in this game for two reasons:

1) Knowledge checks were made against hit dice in 3.5 and our foes, mostly taken from MM3, had loads of them. Frex the MM3 charnel hound, which we encountered at level 7 iirc, has 21 hit dice and so requires a DC 31 Religion check to know one piece of useful information.
2) The GM and one of the three players had very little patience for it.

I should add that this game was great fun. It was highly challenge oriented. We got ourselves into some horrendous scrapes and usually managed to get out of them with tactics in the moment rather than scouting and planning. Combat was very unforgiving. If you made the wrong choice with your first couple of actions your PC or another party member would be dead. As with all WotC editions of D&D, combat is a valid minigame.

Last edited:

lewpuls

Hero
Players who say they don't run away because they would be caught, sound terribly unenterprising. With magic and magic items, you ought to be able to figure out a way to get away.

Of course, would all monsters pursue (in a reasonable world)? No, they're probably scared spitless just like the player characters are.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads