Worlds of Design: To Move or Not to a New Edition?

Many tabletop RPGs besides D&D have multiple editions. How many people stick with older editions rather than move to the new one?

When the RPG ruleset you use is replaced by a new edition, what do you do?

Many tabletop RPGs besides D&D have multiple editions. How many people stick with older editions rather than move to the new one?

newedition.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Flipping & Turning Through New Rules​

I was reading an issue of Flipping & Turning (an online magazine for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, free through DriveThruRPG). A contributor to that magazine mentioned that years ago he thought no one played AD&D (First Edition, 1E) anymore, not once the Second Edition (2E) was released, but discovered many years later that Old Schoolers often play 1E.

My own experience is that I moved to AD&D from the original booklets, ignored 2E, played 3E along with 1E, played but did not game master 4E, and appreciate many virtues in 5E but don’t play it, still playing 1E.

New Editions, Other Games​

Thinking about other kinds of tabletop games, I suspect everyone moves to each new edition (there have been many) of Magic: the Gathering, because of “organized play” tournaments and the annual replacement of cards with new ones.

When an expansion for a board game is published, most people play with the expansion(s) if they can. New editions of board games are uncommon. I cite my own Britannia. In the UK people played the original H.P. Gibsons (1986) edition, in the USA gamers played the slightly different and later Avalon Hill (AH) edition (1987). When I revised the game to fix some errors introduced by publishers, in 2006, it replaced the AH edition at the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) tournament, though a few people still prefer the AH edition. The 2020 reissue of the game does not change the rules, but uses plastic pieces (and new board artwork). Many long-time players don’t like the idea of plastic figures, and I think we’ll see a mix of sets when WBC next meets. But because the rules haven’t changed, though the interface has, it’s not comparable to a new edition of an RPG where the rules do change.

The Pros & Cons of a New Edition​

If you stick with the old you don’t have to worry about official updates to the rules. Updates can vary in quality and reception; some provide new ways for players to get something in a way that seems "easier" to players, which can cause friction at the table when those players want to use the new rules, and the game master doesn't. This may not be a problem for strong personalities, but can be a problem for a GM who isn’t clearly the leader of the group. That GM will be constantly bombarded with requests to use new rules. Forty years ago I advised GMs to avoid letting players gain unearned advantages through new rules (I banned all additions to my 3E game); but that only applies to RPGs as games, not as storytelling mechanisms.

A new edition can fix problems, but can introduce new ones. I’m not sure where the advantage lies. Another consequence of staying with the old is that new players who have bought the new edition may prefer to play what they’ve bought.

By the time a new edition is released, there’s so much material available for the older edition (often free or quite cheap) that there may not be an obvious need to switch. Those sticking with older RPG editions may be more likely to make up their own material, and thus depend less on updates. Gamers sometimes accuse publishers of releasing a new edition simply to make more money rather than actually improve the game, but a company’s motivation can certainly be both (See The Dilemma of the Simple RPG).

Finally, there is the belief that new is always better, predicated on the notion that a new edition is always an improvement on the older one. That’s certainly how publishers position their new editions, but it’s not true for every player. It wasn’t true for me with D&D, but with an historian’s perspective I also see that new often isn’t better, it’s just new.

Your Turn: How many people stick with older editions of RPGs? After all, many tabletop role-playing games have multiple editions, not just D&D. So we have a poll!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
There isn't one simple answer to a question like this. It depends what I think of the changes. I picked the second, "sometimes new sometimes old" option but that's just the most common answer. I certainly don't have the need some people do to always be using the latest and ostensibly greatest (and very few people here seem to, or at least they aren't admitting it :p ).

I must admit it. While I don't switch on if the next edition doesn't satisfy me, the idea of being struck into an old edition upsets me.

When 4th came out, I already was too involved in work to play, but I still remember the feeling of the times was: "I've stopped playing because of work but if this is what D&D is going to be, I never play again". And in effect the drive strong enough to restart playing went by 5th edition and its goodness.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Yeah, I never really got the resistance either, particularly since the compatibility is so high that any specific element preferred from 1e fits in with 2e reasonably well (ranger, I'm looking at you).

I and a lot of people that I know used a hybrid of 1e, 2e, house rules, and supplements. My experience was that a lot of people didn't see an "edition" as something that mattered, and never played 1e strictly by the actual rules in the first place. Attitudes like "oh, you're using THAC0 for a 1e game, you clearly never really played 1e" would strike people as bizarre, since people would pick and choose rules and shortcuts all the time. People playing "by the rules" 1e is a modern phenomenon as far as I can tell, even Gygax and Arneson didn't stick to RAW for their games.

I mean, in the OD&D to 1e transition you got a EDIT: 1eMM, but no PHB until a year later, and the DMG a year after that, but people ate up the AD&D books as they came out from what I have read.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
As a side note, my answer for this differs a lot for D&D.

In general, as the state of the industry moves forward, mechanics and such becomes more mature. There's more feedback, especially the past decade or two with the internet. So games generally improve. And I'm for that. But also, many general games don't have a huge amount of supporting material, so there's no heavy sunk investment.

This doesn't mean I'll always move forward - let's look at Hero System. I started back in 2nd ed days, and we gladly move to the BBB (Big Blue Book) and it was great. Even with the amount of small books left behind that eventually were rebought. I didn't play too much of later editions, and in 2019 we had a game that was going to run in the latest 6th ed - and I found that all I didn't like the system. Even the nostaligia was gone with changes like renaming powers and removing figured characteristics. If I run Champions again, it will likely be with an older edition. And this doesn't even talk about Fuzion, which was a radical departure.

I've upgraded through various version of Shadowrun, but I'm not particularly fond of the newest (6th).

D&D is in a differnet place. I greatly enjoy 5e and it's my favorite edition, but it's not my favorite D&D-like game. But what it has going for it is a huge player base. Be it ease of finding players, having active online communities, whatever.

Even though I ran 3.5 for years into 4e (completeing a 7 year campaign), I still played 4e and read the message boards. One of the strongest points of D&D is the immense coverage it has in the high fantasy RPG sector, and you sort of have to at least eventually change to a new edition to keep up with that.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
You’ve got that a bit backwards. The MM came out first, in ’77. PHB in ’78 and DMG in ’79.

That makes sense as the MM would work even as a standalone product for OD&D. One thing I definitely remember is that the DMG was significantly delayed, and there was several articles by Gygax in Dragon magazine explaining/apologizing for it, plus of course letters complaining about it.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
As far as the original question goes, I tend towards the latest system for games that I'm playing or running, but I don't feel any compulsion to do so. If it's an edition that you can just drop in without significantly changing the PCs and use existing modules and self-constructed adventures, I'll pretty much always move to the latest since those are almost entirely improvements. CoC and AD&D 1e-2e worked like that, plus the other games people have mentioned. If there's a major edition change (like D&D 3, 4, and 5) then I generally won't shift (or support shifting) the campaign mid-stream unless it's a new-ish campaign and we really like the new edition.

If I'm not running a game I'll generally go with whatever version the GM wants to use, unless I really don't like that version (in which case I'll just decline that game). If it's an old game that I pull out once in a while, I probably won't update unless I really like the new version.

I always buy the first three books of any editions. Then, If the edition is to my liking, I will buy more. Frome the BECMI to 5ed today I have bought quite a lot and played even more that what could be considered normal. Now I am playing a lot less as familly, friends and work are my top priority. But when retirement comes in a few ueara, I will be back to play like a mad man.

So far, all editions have had good and not so good things going for them. 5ed is so far the best one not because it is the newest but because it learned from past mistakes and took on new takes on old concepts. Some of the changes it is advocating now are not my cup of tea, and if they go all in, I might simply just keep what I have and call it a day. Or if some if the changes are really good I might jump in that wagon for the ride. Time will tell.

I do not think that a sixth edition is on the way but if there is one, with 5ed doing the job form me and and my players, it might be the first time that I will let the train pass by me without a flicker. I have enough books for three life times already...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've never really been in the position where I'm playing through a long campaign when a new edition comes out so the changeover is generally pretty easy. I likely end up buying the core books anyway to see what the new edition is like and then can go from there, plus, I like to homebrew things so if there is anything the new version doesn't have, it generally doesn't take much for me to create it.

Remove ads

Remove ads