D&D 5E Worst Classes Level 1.

NotAYakk

Legend
I am sorry, I can´t follow your thought here.
The sorcerer is a full spellcaster, so no matter the subclass, they always are hitting the expected powerlevel at all tiers.

For the barbarian, tier 1 and 2 is obviously no problem because of rage and extra attack. I don´t see why you think the barbarian main features are hot garbage? Rage is good. More rage is more good. I ca nee that the offensive power at level 11 might be a bit lacking, but the barbarian usually makes that up with durability and very high hit chances that can often be converted to damage.
The sorcerer at level 1 is a problem, because its differentiation from Wizard is its subclass feature.

The Wizard gets arcane recovery (1 more slot/day on a short rest) and int+1 spells preped, and 6 spells in the spellbook.

The Sorcerer gets 2 spells known and a subclass.

Assuming a 16 casting state, that subclass should be balanced against arcane recovery, 2 spells prepared, and 4 spells you can both swap with overnight and cast as rituals. Plus a restricted spell list.

Sorcerer subclass level 1 features are inconsistent in how good they are. Sometimes they are good, sometimes not; so you get a relatively wide swing between "great dip" to "you are a wizard, but worse, harry".

For the barbarian, their T3/T4 class features are hot garbage; at least prior to capstone.

Their defensive features of note are:
(a) A few hits/day at low HP (1-3 per short rest).
(b) A shoring up of some "lose rage" weaknesses
(c) 2 more uses of their level 1 class ability (rage)

which isn't bad. Mainly, what you get out of these levels is 10 levels of d12 HD. And maybe some ASIs to boost your con.

Their offensive features of note are:
(a) 2 more uses of their level 1 class ability (rage)
(b) A 1 more point of damage per hit while in rage.
(c) A tiny and inconsistent boost to damage from critical hits (brutal critical). It is only 0.65 damage per swing with reckless (3x over 3 levels).

The damage per swing (always reckless) from T3/T4 (assuming 50% baseline hit rate) before capstone adds up to 2.7 damage per swing. So before you might be doing 11.5 per swing at 10, and 14.2 at 19, a 23% boost. Meanwhile, your HP (and those of foes) basically double.

It is really anemic.

Their utility features in T3/T4 before capstone:
(a) Better strength checks.

The capstone is:
(a) Unlimited uses of rage (utility, offence, defence)
(b) +4 str/con almost uncapped (so +40 HP, +2 to hit, +2 to damage, +2 to strength checks, +2 to str/con saves, +2 AC unarmored).

For the Barbarian, core class features, there is basically a vacuum between 7 and 20 (exclusive).

In theory subclasses could make up for this. But that is a lot of weight for subclasses to carry.

The same is true of the Ranger; their level 11 feature is from a subclass.

Design-wise, I wonder if it would have been better to design subclasses as a set of optional class features?

Like, you have your baseline class. It has class features at every level.

You can optionally take a subclass. You can do this at level 1, or at any level where it matches the story.

If you have a subclass, you can swap certain base class features for features from your subclass. Or not.

The game design advantages here are:
(a) You can play a subclass-free game of 5e. Simpler characters.
(b) The baseline, subclass-free classes can be balanced against each other, without reference to subclasses.
(c) The features you swap out for the subclass can be balanced, item for item, against the primary class features you swap them. And because each swap is optional, you are free to ignore a bad subclass feature; and subclass designers are "kept honest" by this.

A side benefit is that each subclass can pick different features to swap. A subclass might offer a trade for (extra attack 3) on a fighter, for example.

Last edited:

I agree with your general assessment.

Probably a more unified structure with both class and subclass more balanced over all classes would open up more design space.
As you mentioned, a subclassless game would be possible. It might be possible to trade subclass features for feats or even cross class features, be it from other subclasses or even the base class. I could even imagine multiclassing working a bit that way.
If class and subclass features were gained every other level, it might be possible to just progress in two classes alternately.

ECMO3

Hero
The sorcerer at level 1 is a problem, because its differentiation from Wizard is its subclass feature.

The Wizard gets arcane recovery (1 more slot/day on a short rest) and int+1 spells preped, and 6 spells in the spellbook.

I don't see how getting a sorcerous origin at 1st level is a problem for this comparison. That is part of the class chasissis and it comes at level 1. Therefore it is totally appropriate to include sorcerous origin options available at level 1 if you are comparing level 1 characters, just like it would be appropriate to compare the spells or skill proficiencies available to either class at level 1 when comparing them.

There are also some sorcerer advantages you did not consider: A sorcerer gets 4 cantrips vs 2 for a wizard. At 1st level you can only cast 2 leveled spells a day (3 with AR and a SR), so you will be casting cantrips far more often than spells. Because of this, the extra cantrips the sorcerer gets are pretty significant at 1st level, probably more significant in play than the 2 extra spells prepared (max) since you can only use 2 of your prepared spells. The save proficiencies are much better than the wizards at level 1 (for a caster) and having Charisma as a casting stat is marginally better than having intelligence due to the synergy with the roleplay aspects of the game.

Are these features combined as good as having 6 known spells, 4 prepared, an extra slot with a short rest, better spells to choose from and ritual casting?

I would say at 1st level it is probably better for some subclasses, worse for others .... just like one can be better than the other based on which spells you select. If you take the best Sorcerer you can build compared to the best Wizard at 1st level, ignoring racial synergies - If you did this I would argue the best sorcerer is a better overall character at level 1.

Last edited:

Ashrym

Legend

I also think the extra cantrip makes more of a difference at those levels because cantrips come into play more often than that single spell slot.

The bloodline is at 1st level because that's supposed to be something sorcerers have lived with. Awakening a bloodline is granted by multi-classing into sorcerer. It the same reason clerics have a domain at 1st level. Their faith exists from the start. Since that makes sense from a narrative stand point it makes sense to apply those early and other class abilities after.

Horwath

Legend
good thing that 1st level lasts half a session or at worst a whole session.

This would be more interested for levels 3 and/or 6.

the monk would still be worst.

Remove ads