D&D 5E Worst Classes Level 1.

If they allow Theros gifts they probably allow UA Class Variants, where fighters can swap out of two weapon fighting later.

Of course, the Ranger starts looking really nice at level 1 with that UA.

Nothing wrong with 'only being good at combat' at 1st level. In fact, a lot of people are rating the Fighter very high at 1st level, and that's literally all the Fighter can do.
Second wind actually gives the fighter an advantage with exploration since they can endure hazards and keep healing as long as the party has time. I would definitely put fighters above barbarians, since they can only push their button twice a day and it has conditions.

If they allow Theros gifts they probably allow UA Class Variants.
I don't see why that would follow. The reason for allowing Theros gifts is because Theros setting is an a priori assumption - it also requires Theros deities and Theros piety. UA class variants have no connection to the Theros setting.

I don't see why that would follow. The reason for allowing Theros gifts is because Theros setting is an a priori assumption - it also requires Theros deities and Theros piety. UA class variants have no connection to the Theros setting.
Theros is a setting with several additional features above and beyond the core rules. A DM who allows those additional features is likely open to allowing UA.

Second wind actually gives the fighter an advantage with exploration since they can endure hazards and keep healing as long as the party has time. I would definitely put fighters above barbarians, since they can only push their button twice a day and it has conditions.

To be fair at low level the exploration pillar is largely poking things with 10 foot poles and climbing stuff and not getting lost or falling down a pit.

No one really can click their fingers pit of that stuff yet.

To be fair at low level the exploration pillar is largely poking things with 10 foot poles and climbing stuff and not getting lost or falling down a pit.
Yep. And those things cause damage when you fail, and the fighter can just recover and keep going if there's time. Fighter Disarm is totally a trope.

of6eKiiEcHmPbfPnaKmy3P_jf6Z8G7Nze_MQ3UPRDV6EfOtc47cZ-gow49HwTgeLOS-JAdJJg7-e_q9WsakG01epfZG_fCbO

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So... how would we rate all the PHB classes at first level?

• Fighter, Cleric and Rogue
  • Barbarian and Wizard
  • Paladin and Bard
  • Druid
  • Ranger and Monk
  • Sorcerer
  • Warlock

Something like that?

Not a bad list. I rate Cleric low myself, but as we all know a lot is a matter of the the build and preferences on play style and goal of the build.

The comments about lacking subclasses at level 1 made me think to dig up an idea I had a while ago of given all classes their subclasses at level 1. Here was the first draft:

Subclasses at Level 1.png

Theros is a setting with several additional features above and beyond the core rules. A DM who allows those additional features is likely open to allowing UA.
A ridiculous assertion.

Theros has core rules for Theros.

Setting specific rules have nothing to do with UA. I run an Eberron campaign using Eberron rules, but that doesn't mean I allow open season for UA content (I don't allow it at all).

There is no strategic play to do with level 1 character.
the best class is the one who do get crit by enemy, and still roll well.

my hint would be that interesting play begin at level 4-5 and keep level 1 for session 0,

Setting specific rules have nothing to do with UA. I run an Eberron campaign using Eberron rules, but that doesn't mean I allow open season for UA content (I don't allow it at all).
There will always be purists, but in general someone who runs settings with many add-on benefits like supernatural gifts is more likely to allow add-ons like UA. Same with Eberron and dragonmarks. You don't have to believe me, that's my experience.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases