D&D 5E Worst Classes Level 1.

Undrave

Legend
And mockery is a top tier cantrip at level 1. I'd argue the best combat cantrip actually.

Certainly the best in the PHB. If you pull in Xanathar's you got Toll the Dead as a good candidate for top tier... but then you also move Sorcerers up a few tiers with the addition of the other subclasses.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The morale is, I should not try to a “funny guy” on the topic of monks..gets me in trouble each time.....
I didn't mean to cause a ruckus, either. I wrote, "the least amount of fun I've had at 1st level was when I played a monk," and that's still true even after a dozen pages of discussion. I never said it was "bad" or "unbalanced," I only said that I didn't have fun.

I am thinking about giving it another go, however.

Previously I went with Human because I rolled a lot of odd-numbered ability scores and I wanted the +1 to everything. But I think that if I had chosen a more interesting race, I could have started with better weapon proficiencies, or maybe a cantrip, maybe a breath weapon. Heck, even darkvision or hellish rebuke would have been an improvement. I just need a little more variety than what the monk class alone can offer. Good stats alone do not a good character make.

So yeah. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have gone with the Human (Variant), and grab the Magic Initiate feat. Two cantrips and a 1st level spell would go a long way to making a monk more fun to play. For me and my play style, that is.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I didn't mean to cause a ruckus, either. I wrote, "the least amount of fun I've had at 1st level was when I played a monk," and that's still true even after a dozen pages of discussion. I never said it was "bad" or "unbalanced," I only said that I didn't have fun.

We just started a new game yesterday with three players, all playing Monks. We have a Way of the Long Death, a Drunken Master, and a Way of Tranquility (UA, my PC). We started at level 3 since the monks have been together for a while already, and so far it has been a lot of fun! Now, the other part is race because we have a Tortle (long death), Tabaxi (drunken master), and I play an Aarakocra (tranquility)-- so we have a turtle, cat, and bird monk. Just makes it that much more fun IMO.

(FYI the campaign world literally has an "Animal" kingdom with all sorts of animal-humanoid-types (think D&D meets Zootopia). :) )

If you pull in Xanathar's you got Toll the Dead as a good candidate for top tier..

I have had horrible luck with Toll the Dead on my cleric character. The DM keeps making the Saving Throw, even with creatures with negative Wisdom modifiers.

I have had the Cantrip work a measly 8%......it has worked just 4 times, and the failure to success ratio has not been close to evening out.

I started with a 17 Wisdom, now a 18. From a Role Play perspective I think my character would just give up on it.

I have cantrip envy for any one of the Attack Role Cantrips the Wizard has.🧙🏻

Also, Way of the Long Death is a very good subclass. I’ve seen a Wizard PC sanction the slaying of their familiar in a tough jam, so the Monk can get Temp HP.

Hour of Reaping is a solid at will ability and works well with Booming Blade or Conquest Paladin.

Mastery of Death is a clutch power. Sometimes too clutch. The player of the death monk plays MC Hammer’s music for “Can’t Touch This” but overdubbed himself singing “Can’t Kill Me” in a funny voice.....sigh playing with comedians can be exhausting 😉 ( but super funny).

He does this everytime the ability is used.

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
I have had horrible luck with Toll the Dead on my cleric character. The DM keeps making the Saving Throw, even with creatures with negative Wisdom modifiers.

I have had the Cantrip work a measly 8%......it has worked just 4 times, and the failure to success ratio has not been close to evening out.

I started with a 17 Wisdom, now a 18. From a Role Play perspective I think my character would just give up on it.

I have cantrip for any one of the Attack Role Cantrips the Wizard has.🧙🏻

Yeah I would really like an Attack Roll cantrip for the Cleric. There's just so little variety for Cleric. I don't think it would have been out of theme to give them Produce Flame.

NotAYakk

Legend
Certainly the best in the PHB. If you pull in Xanathar's you got Toll the Dead as a good candidate for top tier... but then you also move Sorcerers up a few tiers with the addition of the other subclasses.
Sure, that one is also a compeditor.

Thing is, toll the dead is no better than a short sword swing when it lands at level 1, while mockery is a life saver against many low level brutes.

Saving throw spells also are inaccurate at low levels. The "virtual AC" they have is 14 plus the stat; high AC is rarer at low levels.

So Toll is mediocre damage at low levels, while Mockery is a save or suck at-will.

Ashrym

Legend
Divine and Shadow sorcerers sound cool... But out of the PHB options though?

Draconic has free AC and HP. It's a passive benefit but useful in saving using mage armor for an active slot use.

4 cantrips at 1st level is good in any case for extra utility. Too few slots to make up the difference and CHA also tends to be more interactive than INT.

Wild magic has a useful ability but the recharge method tends to be DM reliant.

Specifically (and only) at first level, how is it that bards haven't been mentioned yet? Bad AC, few spell slots, few cantrips (and none particularly damaging), inspiration still a long rest resource, no expertise on the skills they have.

TWF is similar damage to several classes, the spell list is decent, they have the most versatility in skill proficiency selection, and bardic inspiration is useful.

I find it's higher levels where other classes / subclasses add weapon / combat / spell benefits that bards fall behind in direct combat. They always help indirectly.

Todd Roybark said:
I’m curious, has anyone not advanced to 2nd level by the end of the first adventure in 5e?

I had a DM who used awarded levels when he wanted instead of XP advancement. He liked low power so low levels lasted a while.

Starting with the last part. At this level a bard is likely exactly as good at social interaction as any other charisma caster and worse than any rogue who's chosen it as an expertised skill.

Their spell list is fine, but it's generally comparable with the other spellcasters, except that bards get to use those spells less and they can only choose 4 of them.

Bardic inspiration is fine. Not sure it's adequate compensation for the missing cantrips, spell slots, armor proficiencies, etc. that the other classes get.
Honestly think bards just get a pass because they get so much better so quickly.

Only 4 spells is more than most spells known casters. With limited slots one good spell is all that's needed either way.

Only clerics prep more than bards know at 1st level.

Not having expertise doesn't mean much because most classes don't have expertise and 2 cantrips is also pretty typical.

A poor standing doesn't come from not having the highest level of ability. It comes from low ability while bards are rather middle road at 1st level but with a few choice options.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FWIW, Druids and Wizards with +3 mods (common enough at level 1) will prepare 4 spells each day, so often have just as many spells available as Bards.

Anyway, I agree with others the Bards are at least middle or higher towards player satisfaction as far as usefulness, etc. is concerned.

NotAYakk

Legend
FWIW, Druids and Wizards with +3 mods (common enough at level 1) will prepare 4 spells each day, so often have just as many spells available as Bards.

Anyway, I agree with others the Bards are at least middle or higher towards player satisfaction as far as usefulness, etc. is concerned.
Yes, Bards are tied at level 1. And with level 2 a day's adventure away, the ability to swap isn't high value.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I was disappointed with the monk that I made at lvl 1 but I don't think it was level 1's fault. At higher levels he continued to struggle to pull his weight against enemies in combat. I enjoyed some features but he was just fragile. The warlock, I've really liked even at low levels. If you want straight combat ability at low levels, the fighter or barbarian is your guy. paladin is also good so is druid, but even the less tough classes get things that others don't. I'd say sorcerer, wizard and monk are harder to keep alive to reach the higher levels, but not that they inherently suck.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases