• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst fantasy names in our Real World

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Looking at place names in our real world, what ones sound like really bad fantasy names? What real world names do we accept without a shrug, but if they were in a fantasy world, (a book, campaign setting, movie, etc.), would make us groan and roll our eyes?

Bullgrit

JustKim

First Post
I hate in Mystara how the major city of Darokin is Darokin City and Glantri has Glantri City. But then in the real world Kansas has Kansas City, Oklahoma has Oklahoma City, then there's New York City, and I don't really think anything of them.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The Grand Canyon
The White House
The Mississippi River
Walla Walla Washington
The Rio Grande/Rio Del Norte (The Big River/The North River)

The Black Forest
The Dead Sea
Greenland
Iceland
Bangkok (hehehe)

Bullgrit

BryonD

Hero
I hate in Mystara how the major city of Darokin is Darokin City and Glantri has Glantri City. But then in the real world Kansas has Kansas City, Oklahoma has Oklahoma City, then there's New York City, and I don't really think anything of them.
For all I know, there is a Kansas City in Kansas. But, *the* Kansas City is in Missouri. (It's close though)

mandarific

First Post
Zebulon & Lizard Lick, both towns in North Carolina.

We have a couple awkward ones, actually. The entire Outer Banks is pretty poorly named. (Bodie Island... because it used to be Bodies Island back in the day. Er.)

Doug McCrae

Legend
Practically everywhere in Cornwall sounds like a crappy fantasy place name. Way too many 'z's. Zennor, Marazion, Lizard, Pendeen. Probus and Goonhavern sound like something Gary Gygax would come up with.

Arundel, Morpeth and Aspatria are quite serviceable fantasy names, maybe a little dull.

Rutland, Skegness, Puddletown, Tring, Eye, Wendens Ambo, Glossop, Fridaythorpe and St Bees are all too ridiculous to appear in any novel.

One of the Maltese islands is called Gozo.

Pretty much all of Australia sounds stupid but I think that was deliberate.

Remove ads