• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst fantasy names in our Real World

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
In England: Ely (Isle of Eels), it's landing point Littleport, and Elveden Forest (near Thetford).

Also Bury St. Edmunds...which actually means Borough of St. Edmunds, but I like the modern name.:D

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
You know, I'm really really really really glad that Tolkien knew what he was doing when he borrowed elements from Finnish for his languages.

A surprisingly large number of Finnish placenames are extremely rude things. There's a village called Whore, a hill named after someones product.. and those are the mild ones. They get much worse and much more bizarre. There are places named after anatomically impossible sex acts..

Umm, sorry, I'll be in the corner now. :blush:

dangerous jack

First Post
Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but in my neck of the woods, we have Crowsnest Pass, Dead Man's Flats, the Rocky Mountains, Field, Longview, High River, Twin Butte, Stand Off.

If you're wondering about double-vowels and apostrophe's, there's also the Tsuu T'ina Nation just down the road.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Today, I drove through Gort, Ireland on my way to Cork. May go to Dingle tomorrow. Drove near Moneydig on way to Derry a few days ago.
Once drove through Peebles, Wisconsin.

Almacov

First Post
Springfield.

Irondale.

Looking at some (former) Ontario towns - Spidertown, Vroomanton, Swords, Lost Channel, Khartum, Kiosk, Happy Valley, Farran's Point, Crook's Hollow... two towns named Balaclava...

Remove ads