• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst fantasy names in our Real World

EvilQAGuy

First Post
I apologize for everything that's about to follow

There's a Dongo in the Congo, a :):):):):)bong in Australia, and you can pull your own (beets) in Wankendorf, Germany.

Although it sounds like something for which I would take my dog to the vet, Lickey End is actually a village in England.

According to Google maps, Intercourse, Pennsylvania is about thirty-one hours from Climax, Colorado. And according to Google web search there might be a few shortcuts. According to my wife the shortcuts are seldom worthwhile. (She's from Colorado, so she should know.)

Finally, the Australians seem determined to keep Chinaman's Knob away from the lush Wet Beaver Creek, but you can ride a ferry from the tip of the knob to Middle Intercourse Island.

My players would never let me get away with any of those names!

There are some local ones that would probably get laughed at in a fantasy novel. Wyre Piddle, Flyford Flavell, Compton Scorpion, Upton Snodsbury, Iron Cross; real places. And of course, Hell, in Norway.

Huw

First Post
Upham and its neighbouring village, Lower Upham.

Downton (but no Upper Downton AFAIK).

Nomansland.

There's also far too many Kingstons in the real world.

Someone

Adventurer
Once we translated the original meaning, we have a lot of Hill Hill and such. We also have the Black Forest, at least two Great Rivers, The Sea in the Middle of the Earth, the Islands of the Dogs, the Mountains of Fire, possibly one Land of Rabbits, the Land of the White Skins, and a lot more.

Sadly no Mount Doom that I know.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Coney Island.

cookout.jpg

B-)

When I was in college, I had a professor named Dr. Slaymaker.

"Slaymaker", sounds like a cheesy name for a Fighter, but people went with it without batting an eye at the university.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads