Worst fantasy names in our Real World

Just couldn't resist one more round of Washington names because I know you don't want to scour the map yourself:

Klickitat
Kittitas
Issaquah (ISS a qwah)
Mukilteo (MUCK il tee oh)
Nooksack
Ilwaco (ill WAH ko)
Skamokawa
Yakima (YAK im ah)
Kooskooskie
Wapato (WHOP a toe)
Nisqually
Toutle (TOOT el)
Washtucna
Kahlotus
Penawawa
Moclips
Lilliwaup
Peshastin
Dabob Bay
Sekiu (SEE kyoo)
Okanogan
Conconully
Sedro Wooley

Twisp (don't think it was named after the old cereal)

Whisky Dick Mountain (for the immature in all of us)
Pe Ell (make of that what you will)

One name that I actually HAVE used in a game is Granite Falls.

But the winner out of them all is:

Vader, WA.

Terry DM

Explorer
Any minute now a canadian is going to come over and say we're both wrong. :p

Well ... you're actually both RIGHT!

Regina, Saskatchewan is known as the Queen City, named after Queen Victoria Regina (pronounced "ruh-GEE-nah") but locally and around the rest of Canada it's pronounced "ridge-EYE-na" ... which everyone knows rhymes with "fun"!! (local joke! ;) )

Khazan

First Post

Note that next to Intercourse, PA are the towns Bird-In-Hand and Paradise.

Western Pennsylvania also has a Saltsburg, Claysville, Turkeyfoot, Cranberry, Plum and Slippery Rock, all pretty lame sounding fantasy gaming place-names.

I like McKee's Rocks, PA though...sounds like some sort of interesting geological feature with a bit of mystery about it...

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Western Pennsylvania also has a Saltsburg, Claysville, Turkeyfoot, Cranberry, Plum and Slippery Rock, all pretty lame sounding fantasy gaming place-names.

I like McKee's Rocks, PA though...sounds like some sort of interesting geological feature with a bit of mystery about it...

I had forgotten to mention Lick Run, PA as well.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
We were actually driving through Harford County, Maryland a few weeks back... they're selecting a county sheriff... they had a bunch of signs up advising you to vote for Sheriff Bane. I would not like to be arrested at all, but even less to be apprehended by Sheriff Bane.

Corathon

First Post
Every time I drive on the Northway past Albany, NY, I pass an exit for 2 towns: Burnt Hills and Round Lake. I always imagined a story in those names (a round lake created by a meteor impact that also started a fire burning the woods covering the nearby hills). Of course, in an RPG adventure something nasty would have to come out of the meteor.

hafrogman

Adventurer
There's a town in the middle of Pennsylvania called "Midway."
According to Wikipedia, there are three. And as all of them are landlocked, none of them can be the site of the famous naval Battle of Midway.

These DMs think they can get away with this stuff just because their players don't pay enough attention.

Remove ads