• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst RPG Ever?

the Jester

Legend
Holy Crap! I can't believe anyone else has ever heard of this thing! I'm not sure where I got the book, but it somehow ended up in my hands. I passed it on to a friend (without his knowledge) and now he can't get rid of it. Its like a curse! The game was called "Fantasy Wargaming" and the cover proclaimed it "The Highest Level of All!" As I recall the game put a heavy emphasis on your character's astological sign. There were a number of disadvantages, but you simply rolled them at random. I know one of the disadvantages was "Homosexual." Yeesh...

The funny thing is, I can't recall anything about the actual system. I think it used % dice.

Hey, I used to have it too... or maybe borrowed it from a friend? I do remember that it had a cool system for on-the-fly spell creation, and I really liked the rules for piety or impiety...

diaglo

Adventurer
well i didn't read all 11 pages of this thread so i don't know if it has been discussed yet.

but to answer the original question. the worst RPG i have ever played is 3ed D&D.

Humanophile

First Post
diaglo said:
well i didn't read all 11 pages of this thread so i don't know if it has been discussed yet.

but to answer the original question. the worst RPG i have ever played is 3ed D&D.

Something tells me that you haven't played the edition before it, in that case. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and hope you play enough games to find some real "worst ever" competition out there.

And as pointless commentary, I'll have to say FATAL's the worst game I've ever read, but some houseruled 2e games have surpassed it in terms of pointless sex, violence, gore, and sheer incomprehensibility.

Hmm... Anyone wanna do a "worst house rules" thread?

Akunin

First Post
dagger said:
Anyone recommend a system with similar background as Twilight 2000. Ala modern combat with post accopcalyptic things.

If you can find it (it's very old) The Morrow Project was a fun game.

alaric

First Post
I really think alot of you are confusing "games i don't like", with "bad game design". I would have to say that Champions, GURPS, Shadowrun, Rifts or Amber may not be your style, but that doesn't make them bad games. In fact i don't see how you could possibley consider them the worst RPG ever unless you simply have not seen some of the true horrors of the RPG industry. Go take a look at FATAL, Synibar (sp?), or Spawn of Fashan. These are the games that looked like the monkey's at typewriters approach to game design. They are so bad you have to wonder if it isn't a joke, and you can't tell which is worse, whether someone might actually be attempting to create a game like this, or that someone would spend that much energy on a joke. You may not like strict rules, loose rules, no die, tons of dice, whatever, but at least half the games mentioned so far make internal sense, and there are people that actually enjoy playing those games.

Wormwood

Adventurer
alaric said:
I really think alot of you are confusing "games i don't like", with "bad game design"...

No we are not.

I chose Champions (gasp).

It was well designed, clearly written and internally consistent.

It was also the worst game I've ever played.

Period.

phoamslinger

Explorer
Cedric said:
In my experience, the people who don't like Champions, are the people who are too lazy to have actually read the book and understand it.

I'm not trying to make generic offensive statements, I'm just supporting one of my favorite and imo the best RPG out there.

It's the only system in the world where you absolutely can make any character you want to make...anything.

From Superheroes to Sorcerors, you can do it in Champions.

You forgot Spies, Savages, Space Opera, Sleuths, and a whole Slew of other kewl "S" words.

I'd bet that all the Champions nay sayers also had a problem with math in school. Multiplying mixed fractions probably gave em all headaches. Poor kids.

While I saw no point in Wraith, and ran screaming from Tunnels and Trolls. cringed from the polish town names in Twilight 2000, and still can't read the rules to Spawn of Fashawn in a single sitting, I think the game you're looking for is F.A.T.A.L.

So, did noncognitivism.com finally die the death it deserved? What a pity.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads