D&D 5E WotC: 5 D&D Settings In Development?

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as they develop more than they use.

settinss.jpg

Two classic settings? What could they be?

So that's:
  • 2 classic settings in 2022 (in a brand new format)
  • 2 brand new settings
  • 1 returning setting
So the big questions -- what are the two classic settings, and what do they mean by a format we haven't seen before? Winninger has clarified on Twitter that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats."

As I've mentioned on a couple of occasions, there are two more products that revive "classic" settings in production right now.

The manuscript for the first, overseen by [Chris Perkins], is nearly complete. Work on the second, led by [F. Wesley Schneider] with an assist from [Ari Levitch], is just ramping up in earnest. Both are targeting 2022 and formats you've never seen before.

In addition to these two titles, we have two brand new [D&D] settings in early development, as well as a return to a setting we've already covered. (No, these are not M:tG worlds.)

As I mentioned in the dev blog, we develop more material than we publish, so it's possible one or more of these last three won't reach production. But as of right now, they're all looking great.

Of course the phrase "two more products that revive 'classic' settings" could be interpreted in different ways. It might not be two individual setting books.

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I wouldn't consider that toning down, rather making them playable. Especially places like the Plane of Fire. In the old days, if you went there you'd just die. Period. At least with the change in 4E cosmology made the planes playable. Back in the day it was nothing more than a mildly interesting footnote, now you can actually go there and adventure.
I might have been unclear. I meant that the old interpretation of the Plane of Fire was dull, because it was just "It's all fire, duh.". The newer interpretation makes it much more interesting, and explores (well, as much as the limited space allows) different fire-based themes, and even includes some emotional context ("Fire represents vibrancy, passion, and change. At its worst, it is cruel and wantonly destructive, as the efreet often are, but at its best, fire reflects the light of inspiration, the warmth of compassion, and the flame of desire.")

Old-school D&D often looked at a concept and said "Well, this is what it is." Newer D&D often looks and says "What else can it be while still being that thing?"

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
OK, thanks - that's a relief. I can go back to being positively excited.

It is also interesting to note that it sounds like they are being offered in two different formats. His emphasis on "you've never seen before" is confusing, though. Hard to imagine what that would be, considering 47 years of D&D history. Or is he just talking about 5E?
PROBABLY just 5e. But that's lead to a lot of speculation.

Especially on my part. 'Cause I am a titanic dorknugget and enjoy ridiculous speculation that breaks my heart when I realize it won't ever happen.

ZeshinX

Adventurer

It is also interesting to note that it sounds like they are being offered in two different formats. His emphasis on "you've never seen before" is confusing, though. Hard to imagine what that would be, considering 47 years of D&D history. Or is he just talking about 5E?
I share the confusion regarding "never seen before". As you say, I suspect it means more "never seen in 5e before".

Otherwise, I hate marketing lol.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Since he says each product is innovating a new format, it might be as simple as saying that they aren't just doing cookie cutter copies of previous Setting books.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
About new format: I'd kill to have back smaller module packets like in the Next playtest, with Legacy of the Crystal Shard, Murder in BG etc.

A small adventure, a DM booklet, a cheap DM screen that doubles as a pocket to put the stuff in.

It was pretty cool as a version of the ''gazeteer'' format.

Heh, why not? The Forgotten Realms multiverse invaded every other setting. Even settings like Eberron and Dark Sun. Now Forgotten Realms can experience the same punishment by an invasion from Magic The Gathering.
"Ur city already got bombed heavily, who cares if u get nuked?" is what I take away from this lol

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The safest approach to avoid most of the subject on colonialism, is really just go all in on the French Revolution (and Reign of Terror and Napolean), which I'm aware is towards the end of that era. As there's a lot of things to draw from that happened during that time too. A bunch of novels of the Flintlock Fantasy sub-genre strongly draw in from those sources.
I thought all Fintlock fantasy was Napoleanic :p

But bringing up objections due to Imperialism seems a bit misguided in a game whose entire premise is ”Orcs are savages, lets kill them and take their stuff”

Setting books are self isolating, each having their own distinct Fandom, admittedly with some overlap, as there is between the four up coming products. So no, no burnout from this
They aren't going to update a small part of FR again, the was a big part of the original mistake that angered fans, no They will do Faerun wide at minimum.
I could a wide overview and then a focus on a particular region. But maybe the do something like VRGtR and give a little info/flavor of a bunch of regions and then name drop a few more.

Last edited:

I thought all Fintlock fantasy was Napoleanic :p

But bringing up objections due to Imperialism seems a bit misguided in a game whose entire premise is ”Orcs are savages, lets kill them and take their stuff”
Again, doubling down on a problematic element doesn't make it better, son. Think about it. Use the ol' grey matter. Most people are running D&D in a slightly less "kill the brutes and take their nice things!" way now, and kicking it up a notch and putting like actual muskets in PC hands and conquistador helms on PC heads is really... it's just not going to play out well for D&D lol.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases