D&D 5E WotC Announces New Critical Role Hardcover Adventure

Call of the Netherdeep will be out in March 2022. This adventure is set in Exandria and is for character levels 3-12. Interestingly, it also bears Critical Role branding at the top and bottom of the cover. This is the third Critical Role D&D hardcover. The Tal'Dorei Campaign Guide came out in 2017, and the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount came out in 2020. Darrington Press, CR's publishing...

Call of the Netherdeep will be out in March 2022. This adventure is set in Exandria and is for character levels 3-12. Interestingly, it also bears Critical Role branding at the top and bottom of the cover.

This is the third Critical Role D&D hardcover. The Tal'Dorei Campaign Guide came out in 2017, and the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount came out in 2020.

Darrington Press, CR's publishing arm, also announced the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn in July of this year with a release date of late 2021/early 2022.

iXF8B0ojE4lCPJ-p.png

An epic Critical Role campaign for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

The greed of mortals has awakened a powerful entity long thought destroyed. For eons, this mighty champion of the gods has been imprisoned in the darkest depths of Exandria. His name has been forgotten, as have his heroic deeds. Languishing in despair, he calls out for new heroes to save him.

Inspired by the campaigns of the hit series Critical Role, this adventure begins in the Wastes of Xhorhas and leads to the glimmering oasis-city of Ank’Harel on the continent of Marquet, and from there into a sunken realm of gloom, corruption, and sorrow known as the Netherdeep. Above it all, the red moon of Ruidus watches, twisting the fates of those who have the power to shape the course of history.

Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep contains seven chapters of thrilling adventure, new creatures and magic items, and a poster map of Ank’Harel.
  • First major adventure module within Critical Role’s world of Exandria, taking players from levels 3-12.
  • Multi-continental story that spans the scarred Wastes of Xhorhas, introduces the continent of Marquet, and eventually plunges players into the Netherdeep—a terrifying cross between the Far Realm and the deep ocean.
  • Bursting with lore and all new art depicting Exandria.
  • Includes new magic items and creatures and introduces new rival NPCs.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
For everyone saying this isn’t for them: remember that this will be an official 5e adventure, so it’s bound to be presented in a fairly modular way so you can cut/paste and reskin bits into your own campaign.
We‘ve had discussions about past WotC adventures (dragon heist being a memorable one) so I think I’m going to get this as a point of comparison. If WotC is not in the drivers seat, does an adventure pass the smell test?

Mercurius

Legend
A bit of a surprise - I thought Darrington would be handling all future CR books.

One question answered: the "terrifying new place."

It also makes me think we'll see six books next year.

1. Monsters of the Multiverse (splat)
2. Call of the Netherdeep (Exandria adventure)
3. Classic setting
4. Classic setting
5. Adventure compilation
6. FR/D&D setting adventure

They've said that there will be more adventure compilations, and I just don't think the only story arc of the year will be Exandria, and we know we're getting two classic settings, so...six books. If it is only five, then probably no compilation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We‘ve had discussions about past WotC adventures (dragon heist being a memorable one) so I think I’m going to get this as a point of comparison. If WotC is not in the drivers seat, does an adventure pass the smell test?
WotC probably facilitated playtesting, so honestly I would expect it to be just as good quality, mixed bag elements and all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For everyone saying this isn’t for them: remember that this will be an official 5e adventure, so it’s bound to be presented in a fairly modular way so you can cut/paste and reskin bits into your own campaign.

I’m not a CR fan but I bought the Wildemount book anyway, and I’ll probably buy this adventure too. I might not want to run a game in Exandria, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing useful in either book.
Yeah, with 5E Adventure books, the difference between an "Adventure Path" and a "Adventure Compilation" are mighty thin. Witchlight can easily be looked at as 5 modules that don't need to relate to each other at all.

Also, the Wildemount book by the same authors had pretty good Adventure content, actually.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A bit of a surprise - I thought Darrington would be handling all future CR books.

One question answered: the "terrifying new place."

It also makes me think we'll see six books next year.

1. Monsters of the Multiverse (splat)
2. Call of the Netherdeep (Exandria adventure)
3. Classic setting
4. Classic setting
5. Adventure compilation
6. FR/D&D setting adventure

They've said that there will be more adventure compilations, and I just don't think the only story arc of the year will be Exandria, and we know we're getting two classic settings, so...six books. If it is only five, then probably no compilation.
A reasonable projection: I think a Magic Setting book is fairly plausible in there somewhere, with either Kamigawa or Dominaria offering interesting possibilities from that game's lineup.

Mercurius

Legend
A reasonable projection: I think a Magic Setting book is fairly plausible in there somewhere, with either Kamigawa or Dominaria offering interesting possibilities from that game's lineup.
I'm thinking the next Magic setting will be in 2022. That would fit the mode of 2 setting books a year, like so:

2020: Wildemount, Theros
2021: Ravenloft, Strixhaven
2022: Classic setting x 2
2023: Classic setting, Magic

Of course that doesn't include the so-called new settings, which could be in there somewhere. But I would see them on a "one Magic book every six quarters," with Theros in spring of 2020 and Strixhaven in fall of 2021, so the next one would be spring of 2022. Just a hunch, though.

Scribe

Legend
WotC doesn't own the rights to Exandria, Critical Role does. So long as WotC doesn't have the rights to a setting, I'm 90% certain that they're not going to make that their core setting.
Hmm, yeah that is an issue.

2. I think that this is just an objectively good change. No one likes it when your players are supposed to be the heroes, but a literal Deus Ex Machina from the setting's gods saves the day. That's just not fun and doesn't promote good storytelling.

This, I can agree with. I dont think a 5e product exists that handles the God's at all (thats one of the things I hope Planescape would do...)

Remove ads

Remove ads