WotC changes how D&D mini's are going to be sold.

Knight Otu

First Post
I'm reading that correctly? "Brand new class powers?" They're really going to try that? :confused:

Maybe if they aren't randomized (since only the monster packs say anything about randomization, I guess the power cards aren't randomized), it might work. It sure helps their viability they're packaged with minis, though.
[sblock=Rant]I've previously argued that there are things that don't work with a randomized distribution. Miniatures work for several reasons, including the time of painting and occasionally assembling other miniatures, and the fact that it is a bit hard creating your own miniatures if you don't want simple tokens. Quest cards wouldn't work - not only can you easily create your own quest cards, but most random quest cards would be unusable in a campaign unless horribly generic (and then you could create them yourself easier and cheaper). Power cards for new powers aren't quite that simple (you need to create new powers, which isn't something everyone is adapt at or would want to do), but they are much closer to the quest card end of the scale than the miniature end of the scale. [/:rant:]

I'll also add that a full set of power cards is something else that not everyone would want to create themselves, but would be wanted. While not randomized, such a product is closer to the miniatures end of the scale. Here, we're talking about a small number of cards.[/sblock]

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Check the price point for other non-randomized plastic minis. It's about right. Merric's Law and all that.

I expect the PC minis will be well painted; that puts them in the uncommon/rare quality, which does cost more than the commons which have generally reduced the cost per mini.

Dangerous Delves is interesting. Taking a guess at the rarities is very interesting. If we have 8 visible, 8 common, 8 uncommon and 16 rare figures, that would make the 40 figures in the set.

After buying 16 packs (and getting perfect distribution) you'd get:
1 of each rare
2 of each uncommon
2 of each visible (well, whatever you liked!)
4 of each common.

Hmm. That doesn't look quite right, but it'll do as a starting point.

Cheers!

Welcome to the 5E market research. Make rules needed to play the game available only on cards bundled with minis and see how well they sell.

Once the idea takes hold more supplements can be card based.

5E the cards and minis edition coming to a game store near you by 2011-12.

Maybe if they aren't randomized (since only the monster packs say anything about randomization, I guess the power cards aren't randomized), it might work. It sure helps their viability they're packaged with minis, though.
That's what I gathered from reading it. Each pack is themed (Arcane, Martial, Divine, Primal), and would have powers of the appropriate type included.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Welcome to the 5E market research. Make rules needed to play the game available only on cards bundled with minis and see how well they sell.

Once the idea takes hold more supplements can be card based.

5E the cards and minis edition coming to a game store near you by 2011-12.

Good call!

FriarRosing

First Post
I don't know if I should be mad or not. Should I be mad?
New Power Cards? Seriously? How balanced are they going to be?
Keeping track of those suckers is going to be a pain.

Remove ads