WotC changes how D&D mini's are going to be sold.

Wraith101

First Post
I must admit I am impressed! I can see myself buying more miniatures using this format.

I do wonder about the MM minis though. 1 visible mini? will this be a random common or a showpiece figure?

The supply of commons is also likely to dry up, with only 2-3 per box. People won't have to buy as many boxes to get all the rares etc.

I think the renewed focus on MM minis will also improve the sets. When I did buy DnD minis I was forever getting creatures that were looked at first glance like something recognisable but inevitably turned out to be something weird I had never heard of.

darjr

I crit!
I agree. For me, breaking out the character mini's is the best part. I'd prefer less randomness in the MM mini's, but supplementing from the secondary market, I'd be just fine.

Anyone care to do the math to estimate how much you'll need to spend to get a full set, and how that compares to the randomized set-up?

No more cheap PC minis in the secondary market, I guess. They're all going to cost about $3.67.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Wild

I don't quite know what to make of this so far but its pretty wild. I just love seeing big changes, I guess.

I've been buying minis for about four years now. I have quite a few hundred and probably spend about $400 or $500 a year on minis. That's quite a lot more than I want to admit, but there it is.

I buy minis strictly for roleplaying, although I sometimes write scenarios using D&D mini rules. Normally I buy minis on the secondary market, picking out the ones I want.

The new MSRP equals less minis for more bucks but it might end up being cheaper for me to buy this way than the way I have done so in the past. We'll have to see.

The other side of it is that there is a level of miniature saturation. I have nearly every class, race, and sex combo for PC minis and there are only so many monsters I need to run a good game. I find myself buying less minis each set that comes out, until I get a new adventure and need to pick up more (stupid Trolls!).

Anyway, interesting times to be a D&D player!

Simplicity

Explorer
I like the 1 visible figure. Makes it more likely that you'll get at least SOMETHING you're interested in. However, I can imagine a horrible future where FLGS's are overflowing with Wrackspawn visible monster packs...

The one thing that kind of made me choke though... $10.99 for THREE PC figures? Am I reading it wrong? And they're going to put new powers in there just to anger us RPG completionists? Well, I want to make a wizard, but let me flip through my two books and sixteen powercards before I figure out the optimal build...

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Oh. My. God.

They really have decided to take D&D to the next level of Warhammer Quest. Oh, and before anything thinks that's a slam: I loves me my Warhammer Quest.

(For those of you who don't know, Warhammer Quest released boxes with a character + miniature + power cards).

This is awesome news from a serious perspective, since it will let me actually get some miniatures I want to play a character.

--Steve

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I don't need PC types, so those sets are out.

And, for the monsters, now instead of 8 minis for $14.99, we're getting 5 minis for $14.99. :-S

Well, at least the secondary market will still be there....

Remove ads