D&D 5E WotC Delays New D&D Book Announcement

This from WotC — “Get the quasits out of our office! Our plan to make a D&D book announcement on Thursday has been changed. Adventurers, mark your calendars for Monday, January 13.”

This from WotC — “Get the quasits out of our office! Our plan to make a D&D book announcement on Thursday has been changed. Adventurers, mark your calendars for Monday, January 13.”

46DC5C6F-B5F2-4968-9AC0-963D767EEDFC.png

The book was due to be announced on Thursday 9th January after a mysterious entry appeared on Amazon with a product title of "Dungeons & Dragons March Release Book (Title announced January 9th)" and a release date of March 17th, 2020. See the original news item here:
They haven't given a reason; back in November WotC delayed the launch of the sapphire D&D anniversary dice at the last minute, too.

Lots of folks asked for both.

I'm pretty sure that is the opposite of the case: the number of people who wanted and asked for D&D in Ravnica for over 15 years, and Critters, are going to far outnumber old Setting diehards.

Ya'll are right, of course, but, from the old guard D&D social media bubble, both of these releases blindsided everyone. Granted, I think they're interesting enough (Ravnica more than Wildemount, but still), but I'm concerned that these types of releases will crowd out older settings being released. Maybe that won't be the case (Eberron just released, after all), but it's still concerning.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ya'll are right, of course, but, from the old guard D&D social media bubble, both of these releases blindsided everyone. Granted, I think they're interesting enough (Ravnica more than Wildemount, but still), but I'm concerned that these types of releases will crowd out older settings being released. Maybe that won't be the case (Eberron just released, after all), but it's still concerning.

Matt Mercer has addressed these very concerns in an open letter to the D&D community:

Matt Mercer has addressed these very concerns in an open letter to the D&D community:

Yup, I saw that. Matt's a gem, and it was very reassuring, especially since he mentioned the top two "old" settings that I'm interested (Planescape and Dark Sun) as something he's both interested in and has lobbied for directly with Wizards. We'll see what the future holds, but if he's right that there's a place for both "new" and old setting releases, then I'll be very pleased.

Remove ads

Remove ads