WotC WotC general D&D survey just went live.

Clint_L

Hero
Heh, I must be the only one on ENWorld that likes 5e and thinks that it's the best iteration yet (aside from some nitpicks).
By far the best iteration yet, IMO. AD&D will always have a special place in my heart because you never forget your first, but 5e is much closer to the Platonic ideal of D&D that I dreamed of back in the day.

The main reason that it has been so successful is that it is really good! I'm not at all surprised that WotC are doubling down on it. When you have a winner, you stick with it.

Aldarc

Legend
Heh, I must be the only one on ENWorld that likes 5e and thinks that it's the best iteration yet (aside from some nitpicks).
5e is a good game for what it is; however, it doesn't really spark joy anymore and it's not really the sort of game that interests me nowadays. Moreover, One D&D is mostly polish on what promises to be more of the same.

Vaalingrade

Legend
They've farmed out the Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony and Power Rangers RPGS to other companies instead of having WOTC make them (and could have been D&D compatible).
The Power Rangers game is a great case study for building a system based on the story you're trying to tell instead of trying to quietly squash the skull of The Popular Thing into the gearbox.

Like, it makes a point of having characters feel both in RP and mechanically like part of a sentai team.

Then what else does "digital" mean, in terms of purchasing product (which is what we're talking about)?
Roll20. Fantasy Grounds. D&D Beyond. And once upon a time d20 Pro.

All of those have WotC digital products that are not in PDF file format. All of them have digital products that you can purchase as products. Do I really need to link you to the stores?

I'm really thinking here that people are xxx (not anyone in particular) of this. FG has had D&D products for sale for ~7 years. Roll20 has had for something like 4 or 5 years. DDB for 3? years now. All of this has been mentioned dozens or hundreds of times before on ENWorld. How can anyone who is active on these boards not be passingly aware of this fact?

I'm baffled, and obviously ignorant myself of something. But I can't figure out what that is.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
By that logic, D&D hasn't needed updating since 2000 either!
Point taken.

I guess that I just feel that, as much as I like 5e, I don't think I want 5e (or even another class/level system) as the basis of other-genre RPGs. I'm good with WotC staying in the D&D lane and prefer to go to other publishers for different genres. That's just a me thing, I guess.

Point taken.

I guess that I just feel that, as much as I like 5e, I don't think I want 5e (or even another class/level system) as the basis of other-genre RPGs. I'm good with WotC staying in the D&D lane and prefer to go to other publishers for different genres. That's just a me thing, I guess.
No I definitely agree that trying to bend, spindle, mangle and fold 5E into other genres is uncool.

But I would like to see a company with the resources WotC has try their hand at like, another TTRPG with genuinely different rules.

Remove ads