• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC general D&D survey just went live.

Hard to forget my first purchase in 91 or 92: The 2nd edition DM's Screen with the Terrible Trouble at Tragidore adventure.

Yep, the first purchase I made was a DM screen before I had anything else. I had no idea what I was doing and I make sure I mention it in every survey that asks about my first D&D purchase!
I bought the old AD&D DMG, the one with the City of Brass cover and the guy in the green robe, for 10c at a used book sale at my primary school fundraiser fete when i was 12. I had zero context for it, and had no idea how to play the game (and no friends who were interested in playing it), and it was years until i even realised that the PHB existed....

Seems like they were fishing for more digital and if I played Cthulhu and Pathfinder lately. Do not think I am their target audience. I did check off more physical things like books, dice, minis, and maps.
Me too. I don’t buy digital or play on any VTT or D&D Beyond. But I spend a fair amount on books and minis.

Why you no buy our stuff?

Because I don’t like your game or your version of superhero fantasy. Other games do it way better. And I like other games for that D&D feel…you know, that thing you abandoned.

I think I mentioned Dungeon Crawl Classics a dozen times in my feedback.
I would be surprised if they didn’t just disregard surveys like the one you completed. You basically say you hate the current version of D&D.

Do you think anybody but the most serious of grognards would have the patience to sit through nearly 100 questions, many involving individually selecting 20+ options and rating on a 3 point scale?
It probably took me 45 minutes. I can tell you the teenagers in my group lose interest even in character generation taking that long.
Totally agree. Surveys like that weed out most people. They either get the most diehard fans or the most disgruntled. So the data from these surveys has a strong bias and probably doesn’t represent causal players at all. But casual players don’t spend as much either I suspect.

R_J_K75

Legend
You basically say you hate the current version of D&D.
I did too. I said after 22 years the d20 system has become outdated and no longer appeals to me and that if 1D&D truly is going to be 5.5 based on the d20 system they can count me out. A few tweaks and fixes isnt enough for me to invest in another edition. After playing 5E for 8 years Ive realized I dont like it anymore either.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
They were driving pretty hard to the hoop for 5E too, but I dont recall a question asking what edition of D&D are you currently playing. I get it, thats the latest edition, with 1D&D out next year but I wish theyd realize that there is still an audience for older editions, I dont see why they couldnt release new material every once in a while for older editions. I quit playing 5E, have no interest in a VTT or D&DB, and most likely wont invest in future editions without significant changes to the core mechanic. Im no longer their audience as well.
They pretty clearly don't care about older anything (editions, products, players) and haven't in a while.

Remove ads