D&D General WotC hiring a Principal AI Engineer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And my point is that being dismissive of the pain when there's a technology shift that causes changes in the labor force doesn't win points on some scoreboard somewhere.

I don't think anyone is dismissing it - they are merely noting that technological advancement is pretty much inevitable, and just plain pushing back and saying, "No, your company should not do this," isn't a constructive approach to the issue.

Some have suggested that dealing with the repercussions of technological change are really a societal and governance issue, rather than a business issue. As far as that is true, it lies outside the scope of discussion on these boards.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Any flippant statement will be an oversimplification. I’m not here to write a dissertation on the limitations of computer intelligence. People want to believe that JARVIS is right around the corner, when that will probably never exist.

AGI is absolutely feasible. The question is whether or not we have the technology and methods to bring it into being right now, and the answer to that is definitely "no." The problem is that techbros seem to have converged on "LLMs and alignment is how to do AGI" when that is almost assuredly not going to get us the good ending.

I’m fine with using it as a blanket term the same as one might refer to all of them as “computers”.

The problem with this generic, laconic approach is that people who literally do not know what is going on under the hood because it isn't their job, in their wheelhouse, or covered by their education, will continue to not understand the nuances they could understand if people keep using generic, laconic terminologies. "People [...] believe that JARVIS is right around the corner" partially because people talking about these topics are non-specific and non-explanatory.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sure, but this isn't an AI issue, nor is it new. It is a technology issue and has been for, literally, ever. No one cares that there aren't switchboard operators anymore, and nor should they. Technology changes labor -- that is largely its whole job.

They cared at the time.

My point is just that technology changes labor. This isn't new. People that don't think we should develop AI because low level customer service reps will get phased out are throwing the baby out with the bathwater is all.
“Low level” customer service workers are more valuable than an increase in the profit margin of an already incredibly profitable industry, especially when said increase also comes at the cost of the service or product dropping in quality.
This has been the case since the Industrial Revolution. Since we're living through this one it just seems MORE Scary. This is exactly how Manufacturing labor felt last century.

My supermarket took out three more cashier stations for self checkout. It's been happening for a long time. That's why I tell my students, they still can't automate Plumbers and Carpenters for homeowners. That may be their problem Next century.
That you think it’s the same is just a result of normalcy bias.

100 years ago there were whole new industries arising that needed skilled and unskilled labor. That isn’t the case now. Further, degrees of “advancement” are passing by vastly more rapidly now than they did then.

And of course, trains were BS tech that almost entirely just benefitted the rich in their neverending quest to snatch a bigger percentage of the pie at the expense of workers. Trains actually benefited everyone. Better phones benefited everyone. Worse service where it’s harder to even get ahold of a person with any ability to fix anything benefits only the tiny fraction of the population that already have more than their fair share.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
AGI is absolutely feasible. The question is whether or not we have the technology and methods to bring it into being right now, and the answer to that is definitely "no." The problem is that techbros seem to have converged on "LLMs and alignment is how to do AGI" when that is almost assuredly not going to get us the good ending.
Sure, it’s just been “a decade away” for over thirty years with absolutely no sign of anything on the horizon that even might actually approach what people keep thinking is just around the corner.
The problem with this generic, laconic approach is that people who literally do not know what is going on under the hood because it isn't their job, in their wheelhouse, or covered by their education, will continue to not understand the nuances they could understand if people keep using generic, laconic terminologies. "People [...] believe that JARVIS is right around the corner" partially because people talking about these topics are non-specific and non-explanatory.
Nonsense. People think that JARVIS is going to happen because techbros and the media that loves them keep insisting that it’s going to happen.

Knowing what the different kinds of automated computer processes are called what won’t change that.

I am super excited for when Beyond integrates generative AI tools to make DMing easier and the anti-AI crowd here embraces that use fully without even a hint of irony.
It fully depends on how it's used to me. It could happen in the future, but I don't see it happening for quite a while.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It fully depends on how it's used to me. It could happen in the future, but I don't see it happening for quite a while.
They aren't hiring that guy to roll something out in "quite a while." You can already sub to AI apps that do exactly this. WotC is putting it in Beyond as soon as they can implement it.

Remove ads