D&D 5E WOTC I Love Skills and Backgrounds

ren1999

First Post
Since there is only 1 trait listed for 1 background, why do we even need to call it anything? Just make it part of the description of the background. We already use the word 'trait' for monster traits.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I like all of your ideas but I would like to revise them a little and see what you think. We would see a description of each skill in the Player's Handbook like this.

Keep all the progressions for skills at +3 or -3 so they are easy to remember.

The skill titles would be like this. You earn +1 to a skill every other level-up.
You get an automatic +3 when you are trained, which makes you Proficient. Once you get +6, you earn the title Adept.

Novice +0
Proficient +3
Adept +6
Expert +9
Master +12

In the Dungeon Master's Guide, there will be each skill listed with an Easy DC10, Moderate DC13, Hard, Very Hard, and Formidable description.

Then there will be a 4th Edition Style listing of 3 possible described outcomes.
If you roll -3 or lower and fail, there are negative consequences.
If you roll the target or 1 or 2 more than the target, you succeed.
If you roll +3 or higher and succeed, there are benefits.

There are a few things to address here.

While it is conceptually sound to increase ranks by 3 to match the DC progression, even +6 is a very large bonus within bounded accuracy, let alone a +12.

Personally, I'd like to get away from the granular increases. With ranks that provide a +2 or +3, your choice of skill increase actually feels like a meaningful choice.

Your last idea, though, where there are degrees of success or failure is something I've enjoyed in other games and would make an good module in D&D. I wouldn't do it by default, because it adds complication, but I would probably play with it.

The skill mechanic that I still find the most compelling, though, is the one that provides a minimum d20 result on ability checks. For example:

Untrained +0
Proficient +2, minimum roll of 5
Expert +4, minimum roll of 6
Master +6, minimum roll of 7

Which equates to a minimum total of 7, 10, and 13 respectively, numbers that equate to the Trivial, Easy, and Moderate DCs.

S

Sunseeker

I'd much rather have them be more like degrees of success/failure.

I've played in games with house-rules like this. Personally I run most checks as best out of 3, but keep them pass fail. IE: roll 13 on DC15 climb, you slip 10 feet(no damage). Roll a 14 on a DC 16 climb to grab on to something, keep slipping, take damage. Roll a 16 on a DC 20 check(it's harder 'cause your grip is even worse!) and fall way back down, damage included.

However, I feel that any system beyond Pass/Fail is something that is definitely a modules type deal. Release a bunch of variant ideas in "DDN: The Big Book O'Skill Checks"! DDNs system should strive for initial simplicity to allow for greater customization by players.

Li Shenron

Legend
I like the general idea they are moving toward but I don't like the fact that abili checks are pass/fail checks.

I'd much rather have them be more like degrees of success/failure.

We already have a degree of failure, check "hazards" in the DM guidelines document.

I am quite sure that a module to add even more degrees of failure and also "ranks" would be easy to do. No reason for this to be mandatory for all groups however.

Li Shenron

Legend
But what about degrees of success?

Warder

I think I've seen this implemented either in free-form (e.g. the rules tell you only that beating the DC by more than a certain amount should have the DM figure out some additional effects) or with decreasing costs (e.g. cutting the time required in half, get a discount on gp cost).

I think I would prefer the first one, but both of them can be in the game, as optional rules, why not?

My point was, "Get rid of skill bonuses."

Don't say, "You're climbing the rough cliff? Roll d20+6 vs. DC 10."

Instead say, "It's easy. Do you have 1 rank? Okay, you succeed. Oh, you're untrained? Roll d20 + Strength mod vs. DC 10."

Or, "You want to convince him you're actually an inspector sent by the Overlord? Okay, that's very hard. You need 5 ranks. You've only got 3, so roll d20 + Charisma mod vs. DC 20."

Remove ads