WotC WotC in a small decline as revenue drops by 16% as Hasbro shares hit a new 52-week low

Zardnaar

Legend
I have to agree with @Micah Sweet about the 1st world, but I'll take another look at the book. The Lairs and actions sound like something I can use, at the least. But I have to admit, this book has an uphill battle against the background & such in 3E's Draconomicon.

I like Fizbans but it's a bit niche to be that useful.

And it's not as good as 3.5's Draconomicon.

I think the 30th anniversary $1000 Magic offering was a real shot in the foot. I've also heard bad things about some other 30th anniversary MtG offering, but I haven't been a MtG guy in a loooong time, so I dunno.

I also think the treatment Spelljammer got, which I would generously describe as lacking and less generously describe as pretty anemic, was another big shot in the foot. On top of that, recent adventures have been pretty... thin- Radiant Citadel has a lot of "one and done" adventures that read to me like they don't really have a lot of challenge in them or meat on their bones- and the announcement of a quasi-new edition, along with playtest material that, so far at least, seems to poke the promise of backwards compatibility right in the eye while repeating a lot of the "let's get off the edition treadmill" talk that surrounded 5e while looking an awful lot like a new edition, seems like the kind of thing that would depress sales. But I don't know jack about marketing or sales, so hey.

Radiant Citadel is really 75% setting, 25% adventures, but they'd be better if it'd been split into two seperate full sized books, one for adventures and one for the setting to go more indepth.

And yeah Spelljammer had great art and material quality, but the content was pathetic, some intriguing ideas like Astral Sea/Wildspace dynamic, Astral Dominions, Clownspace, etc..., that just get a mention, no real exploration at all. And no book exploring a bunch of classic wildspaces is just plane wrong, itis like it'd nice if we actually got some setting with this setting product.

The MtG $1000 fake cards is just patheticly greedy, but MtG has bigger problems, like over printing most sets, and Double Masters 2022 undermining other sets, Dominara United not selling well, etc...

Last edited:

hedgeknight

Explorer
If WotC, Hasbro, Paizo, and all of the other gaming companies crashed and burned today, never to produce ANY new material, we gamers have enough sourcebooks, accessories, dice (although, can you ever really have enough?), modules, adventure ideas, etc to last until the world ends.
Come to think of it, except for the loss of employment, this wouldn't be so bad.

Oofta

Legend
Ah, the short term profit obsession raises it's head once more, soon to be forgotten when next year they have revenue from BG3 and a movie. There are a lot of reasons for the way company's accounting practices but it frequently has little to do with the long term health of the company.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I mean I was excited for the Icewind Dale adventure and that was like 2 adventures spliced together and each made by a committee that never talked to each other.
That's kind of how I felt about Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus. I like planar stuff, and I'm somewhat well-disposed towards Baldur's Gate, but the book that we got had so many problems (nicely summarized in this review).

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
If Disney would buy them (as was once rumored in 2016) they would own Marvel, Star Wars, D&D, MtG, Transformers and GI Joe. Basically, my entire childhood.
I pretty much had that feeling when Hasbro (who owns Transformers) bought Wizards (which owned D&D). Still waiting on my D&D stats for Starscream. ;)

hedgeknight

Explorer
I loved that review! Ha! After reading through the book, I was like what the hell? (no pun intended) And then decided to create a campaign in Baldur's Gate, pulling in some of the previously published 4E and D&D Next material and completely ignoring the Avernus $#!+. So, yeah > I use it completely as a sourcebook for Baldur's Gate.

Remove ads