WotC WotC invites Bob the World Builder and other creators to an in person Summit.

mamba

Legend
Speaking as a creator with real skin in the game for not just myself but many, many people who depend on me to pay them every month — we didn’t get what we wanted. What we wanted was an assurance that the OGL could not be rescinded. What they did was say they wouldn’t do so right now. Doesn’t mean all our old OGL back catalogues and revenue streams are secure, or still not under a Sword of Damocles.
yes and no, technically they still could (or not, depending on a court ruling), but they removed the incentive to even try.

At this point, if they did (not likely…), could you not simply switch over to the CC version for Level Up? You could even do so now / preemptively, I assume.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Speaking as a creator with real skin in the game for not just myself but many, many people who depend on me to pay them every month — we didn’t get what we wanted. What we wanted was an assurance that the OGL could not be rescinded. What they did was say they wouldn’t do so right now. Doesn’t mean all our old OGL back catalogues and revenue streams are secure, or still not under a Sword of Damocles.
I’m glad you said this.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Would such an assurance have any meaning? You are probably more versed in the legal niceties than I am but the OGL is a contract and any party can break the terms of a contract forcing the other to go to court.
The contract is only useful to you in so far as you can use it in court. Even a statement that the OGL cannot be rescinded is only a statement. They had already said in the past that it could not be but they still attempted to do so. I fail to see how any other statement would have additional legal weight.

Vaalingrade

Legend
While all major influencer types use outlines or other plans, most are speaking off the cuff rather than scripted. That's why they tell you "I'm reading this now"
Unless they're doing fifty takes, there's a script of some kind. Nobody is doing this stuff off the cuff even if they want to present it as such.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Unless they're doing fifty takes, there's a script of some kind. Nobody is doing this stuff off the cuff even if they want to present it as such.
Having worked in live television (ESPN+ as a live analyst) and radio (producer NBA and live talk) it's pretty easy to tell if someone is reading from a script or not.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Having worked in live television (ESPN+ as a live analyst) and radio (producer NBA and live talk) it's pretty easy to tell if someone is reading from a script or not.
Maybe for you, but for a bunch of D&D nerds, we do tend to not understand our world's myriad magic systems.

And acting from a script without a prompter is one of them.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My understanding is possibly off, then, but I thought that your already published works were pretty well safe regardless. Only new works would be affected. Wotc’s “permission” to keep publishing old works was just legal hokum, like giving you permission to swear in an OGL product.

If that isn’t true, then fair enough.

Remove ads