• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

Eric V

Hero
But not the association of it to that MTG card. Please try and stay on the topic. Red herrings aren’t beneficial for discussion.
Who the hell are you, the thread police? :) Are you sure what you're doing is beneficial for discussion?

Just for kicks, (and because I had not heard of 1488 being a thing) I Googled "1488" and the FIRST hit was "1488: 14 words and the 8th letter of the alphabet. Combined this creates a powerful symbol for white supremacists," and "1488, along with other variations, is a secret code used by neo-Nazis and other white supremacists to identify and signal their ideology ."

If the particular Magic card had that number? That's an unfortunate coincidence that needs addressing.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Who the hell are you, the thread police? :) Are you sure what you're doing is beneficial for discussion?

Just for kicks, (and because I had not heard of 1488 being a thing) I Googled "1488" and the FIRST hit was "1488: 14 words and the 8th letter of the alphabet. Combined this creates a powerful symbol for white supremacists," and "1488, along with other variations, is a secret code used by neo-Nazis and other white supremacists to identify and signal their ideology ."

If the particular Magic card had that number? That's an unfortunate coincidence that needs addressing.

coincidences don’t need addressed. No one believes or ever believed the card was intentionally given that number. Without that detail there was never anything to address.

FrogReaver

Google exists. If you google the artist's name (probably add MtG for specificity), you'll see plenty on the artist's beliefs and how the number was almost certainly intentional.

it was a sequence number for the card. There’s literally no way it was intentionally assigned.

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, "unfortunate" is a better word for it than "meaningful." Coincidences are, by definition, non-meaningful.

I don't feel like anyone should be criticized for not catching the reference earlier. It doesn't reflect badly on WotC staff that they don't recognize the secret handshakes of neo-Nazis! However, once it was brought to their attention, it would have been negligent on their part to ignore it.

FrogReaver

Because I can't read the minds of everyone who has ever had thoughts about the card's numbering...?

so you don’t dispute the statement. You just dispute my ability to know that. How about finding me 1 example that believes as a counter example - that’s all it would actually take to dispute my statement.

Remove ads