WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
People tend to hire those who think and look like themselves. I don't think it's done with intent, just out of comfort with familiarity. They're hiring a job with the intent to change corporate culture, but using their current standard corporate culture (which has failed them) to try and do that. I think it's a mistake because it's more likely to attract the same thing they have right now.

I don’t think looking like you has much to do with it. Relating to you even in non-job ways does though and I think most of the studies confound Looks like with relating.

I agree that those hiring tend to want someone that thinks like them. thats for numerous reasons. One of the strongest IMO is that the hiring manager finds they have done more Right than wrong to get in Their position and that others are more likely to succeed as they have if they think similarly.

FrogReaver

This is certainly a thing.

I had a friend who, years ago, was trying to transition from being a contractor to a full time employee at a (very) big health and medical device company.

During the interview the HR person asked him if there were any issues he (my friend) would like to bring up. My friend began to state how there were serious inadequacies in the VP and how they needed addressing in various ways - The VP was jargon for one of their biggest and most used testing machines, the one my friend worked with most often.

The HR person got very quiet and very serious and proceeded to ask my friend if he was willing to further discuss these issues about the Vice President of the company (because that's who/what the HR person thought he was talking about as apposed to the machine actually being referred to). It was a very awkward conversation after that.

did he get that job?

MGibster

Legend
And I think that's baloney. Someone with senior HR experience at, for example, Aftermath Entertainment Records very likely (at least in my little experience) does not use that language despite possibly being a good candidate for this kind of position. Instead they chose the same language used to recruit all the other people at their company, who also happen to be upper middle class white guys with similar backgrounds and experiences.

There are two things wrong with the above. First, the person at Aftermath Entertainment Records might not use that language daily, but if they're following HR trends, like you would expect any professional to follow trends in their field, any person qualified for the manager DEI position will know and understand the language in the job description being used. If WoTC's job description is unclear to a candidate, they are not qualified for the position. Second, white guys? Have you looked at the HR field lately? White guys like me are in the minority.

I know from brief experience that the Los Angeles Clippers senior executives don't speak that way, and don't recruit that way for senior positions, despite working for a white billionaire. And they have managed to recruit some of the top African American executive talent in that industry.

Are you familiar with code switching? Do you really think most of us walk around using that kind of language outside of a very specific context? It's not like the executives at my company launch into jargon filled language when communicating with most of us. But a job posting is the proper context to use professional language.

This kind of ad will pull in someone from a video game company who also hired all upper middle class white guys with similar backgrounds and experiences at their video game company. But it won't likely pull someone who would be actually both innovative in creating change at the company and also good at that job.

This ad will pull in candidates with actual experience initiating changes revolving around diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in areas of recruitment, training, and employee relations which is exactly what they're looking for.

MGibster

Legend
While this job could add something more to WotC, it could also detract from it. Who knows...

But, as they say in sports, do not change the team that is winning.

And 5E is winning! Big time.

Let them be until they start to lose track.

A lot of companies who were doing well sat on the laurels until it was too late and they weren't doing well. Just because you're #1 today doesn't mean you'll be #1 tomorrow.

FrogReaver

A lot of companies who were doing well sat on the laurels until it was too late and they weren't doing well. Just because you're #1 today doesn't mean you'll be #1 tomorrow.

pretty good bet you will be ;)

though 20 years into the future maybe not. But that’s more likely due to a different issue than sitting on your laurels.

Remove ads