• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC may have sent the Pinkertons to a magic leakers home. Update: WotC confirms it and has a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
But at the end of the day, what was the actual harm that this guy did? He previewed some stuff early.

I think WotC typically has rollouts arranged with various streamers and the like where they get to preview a card or two and get the momentary buzz from that (before someone puts it on the MtG Reddit without attribution). It probably also helps build a critical mass of excitement and lets someone on the reddit start a spreadsheet trying to figure out wasn't spoiled yet.

So, I guess the biggest negative might be to the large numbers of streamers who were going to get some fun and attention by each getting to spoil one or two cards.

Last edited:

The issue is they are going after fans which is the same mistake T$R made in the 90s. No one wants Pinkerton agents showing up at their house, and if that happens and you discover they were sent by a company you buy games from, you and others are going to be upset. This should be alarming to people. If it's normal in the industry, that too should be alarming. Companies shouldn't have this kind of power in a democracy plain and simple. But doubly so for the game industry
What "power" are you referring to? The power to get their products, which were misappropriated (maybe not stolen, but acquired under circumstances which should not have occurred) by others?

So out of curiosity, what would you propose that would be acceptable to both sides? On one side we have WoTC, who does not want people getting merchandise before it is available and wants to ensure that others in the future don't do what this YouTuber did. On the other side, we have a guy who may have accidentally gotten merchandise he shouldn't have, but would like to not be threatened and intimidated by a large and financially capable corporation.

What would it look like for you? What would the process be? What would you do if you were in charge at WoTC? And i'm going to pre-emptively state that saying, "I don't know," isn't a good answer. Because "I don't know" leads to this type of incident. I'm willing to bet that the guy who was in charge of getting this situation handled probably had no idea who Pinkerton was or the reputation they had. So how woud you handle it?

Oh yes, how dare someone complain about society when they live in society and aren't flawless human beings that never need to make compromises. The Pinkertons have a negative reputation for things they continue to do,
Would it have made a difference if it was a different company with a cleaner record?
and if you want to be separated from the past things they did, maybe don't buy their company and keep the branding.
My guess is the branding was part of what attracted the buyers. Some people find the things Pinkertons has done to be attracious. I'd agree. They have a terrible reputation. They've done some horrific things. They've also got a reputation as the oldest security and investigative firm. I'm willing to bet they paid a hefty amount to say they have the oldest security and investigation firm.
Hasbro sent them after a guy who's entire schtick is being an online presence, they had to have known the bad press that would result from using them.
So what are their options? Let people take their products by whatever manner or whatever means they believe is appropriate? How about all the other
YouTubers who were going to release their own unboxing videos and have been working with WoTC, following the rules set up? Let's assume this YouTuber got these card completely by mistake. No chance of anything nefarious happening. Should that be enough to allow him to do something the rest of the YouTubers who have taken the time to form a relationship with WoTC should just think of as, yeah it happens. They don't have that option. They can't just go an break contracts they have with WoTC and forego the set embargo dates. They lose money too. This affects more than just some YouTuber who got lucky and got boxes of unreleased merchandise.
I don't understand why some people are defending WoTC. (or at least claiming their actions and choices were no big deal)

Wasn't the OGL fiasco a wake up call?...
Those are two different incidents with two completely different set of circumstances. Are WoTC and parent company Hasbro greedy? Yes, of course. Absurdly greedy. I wouldn't put it passed them to try and figure out some other underhanded way of squeezing even more money out of its customers. That doesn't mean everything they do is wrong, though. In this case, while you may not like a particular company hired to retrieve their products, you should try to view the incident from an unbiased point of view. At the end of the day, the YouTuber should not have had those cards. He should not have revealed them until after the embargo date.

When you hire a detective agency, you are spying.
Not always. I mean, they first have to figure out who to "spy" on. That's the investigative part. Someething happened. Someone did it. Who did it? We don't know, so we need to find out using what public information is available to give us leads.

Might that result in more in depth investigation of someone, and potentially "spying"? Sure, but you have to get there first. It's not automatic.
Someone could be doing wrong but this is still a violation of privacy.
How so? He had it on a YouTube channel where he broadcast it for anyone to see. The whole purpose was to get viewers. Now if later on there comes some proof that they somehow managed to get into his accounts without consent or anyone knowing and looked at other information regarding the YouTuber, sure, that could be a violation of privacy.

Me running around with my weiner in my hand and broadcasting it on youtube on a public channel, should not result in in you having an accusation of violating my privacy because you watched the entire video.
Abd it is a level of power normal people don’t have the same access to because it’s expensive. WOTC can afford to spy on you through PI’s all the time. But you can’t do the same to them unless you are Bill Gates. Like I said, if there was a crime, they can report it, they can file a lawsuit. But there are reasons this kind of action, especially by a game company, makes people extremely uneasy

Sending the Pinkertons stinks. It’s rotten. Blaming the victim is also bad imho.
But who is the victim? The company who had their products misappropriated and somehow given to someone who should not have had access to them, or the guy who somehow got these cards? How about we just don't use labels such a "victim" without having a clear picture of what that would look like in this particular situation.
So, everything you've posted in this thread is gross, but this in particular bears correction -- this quote from the Engadget article sloppily references a larger part of the Polygon article that doesn't even refer to this incident:

From what I've seen, oldschoolmtg has received no offer of restitution and made no statement regarding his viewership.

It frankly doesn't matter whether these people are actually stealing these cards or what logo the thugs have on their lapel pins; sending muscle to the address of a private citizen for the purposes of intimidation is wrong, and shouldn't be condoned, supported, or apologized for.
Wait, are you proposing that even if crimes were committed, and the property was stolen, the aggrieved party should have no method of retrieving their property? I get that everyone wants to make it seem as if the Pinkerton employees showed up and busted this guy's door down, dragged him out of his home and threatened to break his legs if he

At no point has this YouTuber said he was roughed up. I'm willing to bet he probably didn't know what Pinkerton was until he googled it. I'm sure being told you can be looking at potential jail time for stolen property isn't the most calming thing, but it seems it was pretty unclear how he got the cards. Hell, he even says in his video that he isn't sure what happened for him to get those boxes.

But seriously, it wasn't some incident where he was roughed up. Stern language? Probably... and just to err on the side of caution, let's go with, yes, they spoke to him sternly. I'm pretty sure that isn't the same as being bullied, harassed, or intimidated. Did he find it intimidating? Most likely, but truthful statements such as you can be looking at jail time for stolen goods can be intimidating without the person making them having the intent to intimidate.
But some of us are second-generation descendants of Pennsylvanian coal miners and don't have to "Google" why seeing Pinkerton in the news is alarming. Again, to my knowledge, not even Amazon or Google has them shaking people down.
Not that I want to get into that discussion, but you must have missed all the union busting fun Amazon has been engaging in.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think WotC typically has rollouts arranged with various streamers and the like where they get to preview a card or two and get the momentary buzz from that (before someone puts it on the MtG Reddit without attribution). It probably also helps build a critical mass of excitement and lets someone on the reddit start a spreadsheet trying to figure out wasn't spoiled yet.

So, I guess the biggest negative might be to the large numbers of streamers who were going to get some fun by each getting to spoil one or two cards.
If they do have this kind of marketing in place, this situation could have put WotC in breach of any contracts they may have in place because any exclusiveness promised would have been broken. So I can certainly see WotC feeling they had to move with some speed and stridency.
Hiring Pinkertons, though? I mean, sure, if they're your only choice. But, man, what a dumb PR hit for themselves. The Pinkertons may not have quite as large a reputation as they did in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but they're not unknown. Arguably, their profile is getting bigger in the last couple of years compared to the previous 30 because of their recent use by union busters.

I would like to hear from one of ENWorld's many lawyers about whether this guy committed a crime or whether WotC has a civil case against him. I'm guessing no, because they wouldn't have sent the Pinkertons to him if so -- lawyers would have sent him an email (and physically served him) instead.
Lawyers are the worst people. Getting a letter from a lawyer can be just as intimidating if not more so. Those cease and desist letters can be quite threatening with the claims of potential lawsuits. Also, even if they don't have an actual case, doesn't mean they won't claim they do. Look at Monster Energy threatening to sue everyone and they mother's for using the word "monster," colors like green and white, anything that is "monster adjacent," etc. Lawyers are the worst.
The fact that they have hired the Pinkertons at all is a huge red flag. I'm giving the people shrugging at this the benefit of the doubt that they don't really know who these guys are. This is like sending the Mafia to recover these cards.
I mean, how sure are you that the person who hired Pinkerton knew of this reputation they had? You can give Enworlders the benefit of the doubt, but you can't do the same for WoTC?

I get it, WoTC is a large corporation owned by an even larger corporation. They tend to be faceless and do terrible things, like the whole OGL fiasco (I'll bet $10,000 the OGL and this are nowhere near the worst things they have probably done that we don't know about), but hat doesn't mean they don't have actual people doing these jobs. So maybe we shouldn't just assume the worst.

Honestly, I blame the author. The article uses a lot of exaggeration. No one raided this guy's house. They knocked. I'm going to assume they didn't shove their way in since the guy states in his video his wife asked him to come to the door after she answered. The article also makes it seem as if he was threatened with jail time. Is it possible? Sure. But isn't it also possible that they just provided matter-of-fact information in a regular tone and stated he could be looking at jail time for possession of stolen goods? Two completely different things happening there. The article doesn't clarrify.

Sure, he states in his video they made his wife cry in the morning. He also states they apologized. I mean, was she crying because she was afraid that her husband would be going to jail? Maybe. Or was she crying because she was finally going to get rid of her nerd husband who kept on cluttering up their home with his childish card game (Get a real job, Steve!!!!)? We'll never know.

p_johnston

Adventurer
The head of PR at WOTC must be just so pissed at this point.

I dont know a lot about modern Pinkertons. Maybe they've turned into just another security company no better or worse than any other, I somewhat doubt it but could easily be wrong. But the problem for WOTC is that most people are going to also not know massive amounts about modern Pinkertons.

So fairly soon after a major PR disaster that they are still recovering from they hire a group whose name is culturally synonymous with being a violent thugs to go after one of their own fans. A fan who has access to a a following which can spread the news of them sending Pinkertons.

Regardless of right or wrong this is a massive PR naughty word up at close to the worst possible time.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It’s wild that people seem to think distribution of physical products across the country is somehow both instantaneous and protected like Fort Knox. The cards are scheduled for a May 12 release. Slightly more than 2 weeks out. There are tens of thousands of these boxes in warehouses, on trucks, and in storerooms across the country. Someone somewhere grabbed the wrong box and sent one out early. There’s a very real chance nothing nefarious happened.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

So, I guess the biggest negative might be to the large numbers of streamers who were going to get some fun and attention by each getting to spoil one or two cards.
🤷‍♂️

Sucks to be them, then? A marketing plan got dinged. It can still proceed as planned, probably with better production values, the ability to interview designers and artists, etc.

"I don't like it" isn't the same as "I have been genuinely hurt."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads