• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, there's still some issues.

Part of WotC's problem is they are too focused on casuals, but it's the hardcore fans that create the buzz that draws in the casuals in the first place (this is shown by the Fandom survey/research that basically fandoms in 4 grades from the most hardcore fans to the most casual casuals). Their current approach is to alienate hardcore fans to court casuals, and that is a problem because it's the hardcore fans the build the foundation the gets you the casuals.

WotC shouldnt be catering to Hardcore Gamers, at least not primarily or any more. They did this with their first few adventures (most of them in 5e being homages to classic adventures to appeal to long time fans).

There are wonderful TTPRGs out there catering to those of us who consider themselves hardcore gamers, but we need a giant casual flagship to draw in new people (oNE OF US ONE OF US) and WotC fills that role. I dont agree with everything they do, but I firmly believe we are all benefiting.

Content creators have a built in audience to reach.
Players can find more games to suit their needs.
DMs have more players than ever (and more chances to show off new games).

You are mistaking the framework for content. The framework itself doesn't have to convey a message, or ask the audience questions. It has to provide an opportunity for the players to convey their own messages, ask their own questions. Or, at least have a good time mucking about in tactical scenarios for the giggles, Mountain Dew, and chips.
I often think the real break through of D&D is what we all argue about... it can be anything. (okay almost anything and some things it does better then others) We each bring our own imagination to this tool set and made our OWN games really. It's why we disagree on how this or that works or if this or that needs to be 'fixed'.

I still stand by my earlier statement of new blook and more diversity at the helm would help

As an independent creator whose income is almost entirely dependent on Twitter's survival, the actions of Elon Musk are not ones you want to see emulated in your favourite hobby. The current uncertainty is inflicting material harm on me and my business.
My heart goes out to you and yours. I hope that your income is not harmed or removed by action or in actions of those at twitter.

dave2008

Legend
That said, what is 5e D&D even selling? What is the message they are trying to convey, what questions do they ask the audience? Are they even asking any question at all?
Is that really needed though? I'm a bit of a hardcore fan, but I've never been into the lore or settings of D&D. Which I assume is where you get the message your talking about?

Back in the day I had the DMG, PHB, MM, MM2, Deities and Demigods, BECMI, and a lot of questions that I just filled with my imagination. That is D&D to me, the spark of the imagination. I don't want or need extensive lore. I never touched old settings until the lore-light approach of 4e and 5e came around. Lore-light is imagination-forward in my book, and that, to me, has always been and seems to continue to be the "message" of D&D.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
at the very least new blood. Not a total overhaul (always need some people to stay on to help onboard the new) but start hireing some 25 year old indy developers with an eye for diversity of background and thoughts...

Hiring for diversity of background and thoughts is good, but 25 year old developers who haven't had successful large projects themselves are not good choices for leadership. Leaders need to have better grasp of big pictures that young developers haven't developed yet.

Hiring for diversity of background and thoughts is good, but 25 year old developers who haven't had successful large projects themselves are not good choices for leadership. Leaders need to have better grasp of big pictures that young developers haven't developed yet.
yes, like I said keep some of the old ones on to onboard and train the newer voices... then pick the new voice with the best leadership qualities and slowly promote them (cut some that don't work out) and get to the point where the new 25 year old developers are 30 year old developers with some leadership roles, and THEY are hiring and onboarding the new guys,

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
We should be getting products equal to the 5e Southland Kickstarter, instead we are getting setting products without the settings. This is absurd.
You don’t want a Musk if you want this

I’m not sure what you’d want to make this happen (outside of feedback but like, I think it’s been a constant) but you sure don’t want the long muskrat for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads