WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remathilis

Legend
It's not like we sanitise Greek myths right for those who would be affected by the rapes by Zeus?

553023d34d739f21c5ed591ff5c600e8.jpg

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Oh you were thinking of the Hobbit chapter. I combined Blades in the Dark and Riddle of Steel in my head.

While this definitely sounds like a "catch him out as a hypocrite" kind of question, ok. I'm aware of the changes Tolkien made to the chapter, as well as minor changes to other parts of the book, and I'm ok with it for three reasons:

1. The author himself made the changes, not just the people who own the IP. That gives it legitimacy.

2. The changes were made to make the story more coherent with the Lord of the Rings. I like a coherent story.

3. I never read the original version of the chapter until long after I had read and absorbed the entire Legendarium. As a result, I have no emotional investment in the original, just avid academic interest.

JEB

Legend
Oh you were thinking of the Hobbit chapter. I combined Blades in the Dark and Riddle of Steel in my head.

While this definitely sounds like a "catch him out as a hypocrite" kind of question, ok. I'm aware of the changes Tolkien made to the chapter, as well as minor changes to other parts of the book, and I'm ok with it for three reasons:

1. The author himself made the changes, not just the people who own the IP. That gives it legitimacy.

2. The changes were made to make the story more coherent with the Lord of the Rings. I like a coherent story.

3. I never read the original version of the chapter until long after I had read and absorbed the entire Legendarium. As a result, I have no emotional investment in the original, just avid academic interest.
There's also an in-universe explanation for the change, per that wiki entry:
In The Lord of the Rings, the original version of the riddle game is explained as a "lie" made up by Bilbo under the harmful influence of the Ring, whereas the revised version contains the "true" account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads