D&D General WotC: Novels & Non-5E Lore Are Officially Not Canon

At a media press briefing last week, WotC's Jeremey Crawford clarified what is and is not canon for D&D. "For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game." "If you’re looking for what’s official...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a media press briefing last week, WotC's Jeremey Crawford clarified what is and is not canon for D&D.

"For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game."

despair.jpg

"If you’re looking for what’s official in the D&D roleplaying game, it’s what appears in the products for the roleplaying game. Basically, our stance is that if it has not appeared in a book since 2014, we don’t consider it canonical for the games."

2014 is the year that D&D 5th Edition launched.

He goes on to say that WotC takes inspiration from past lore and sometimes adds them into official lore.

Over the past five decades of D&D, there have been hundreds of novels, more than five editions of the game, about a hundred video games, and various other items such as comic books, and more. None of this is canon. Crawford explains that this is because they "don’t want DMs to feel that in order to run the game, they need to read a certain set of novels."

He cites the Dragonlance adventures, specifically.

TheSword

Legend
I actually think it is good for the game, in general. I just think it's bad for people that liked the old stories, because it means those stories are over.
The stories are still there. Particularly as WOC is still going to the trouble of selling them. This is an opportunity for those stories to be opened up to players.

For example, it always bummed me out that some of the coolest stuff in Myth Drannor had already been done
discovering the ruined city, closing the Burial Glen gate, and defeating the Baatezu and church of Bane) by the Knights of Myth Drannor.
When I read the old 2nd edition boxes set. Since then
the Cult of the Dragon pretty much cleared it out, The Shadovar did for the remaining Phaerimm, the Faeyri killed everything else and the last lore had the place a stronghold for the return of an army of Evermeet to the Realms.

I want WOC to be able to release a cool adventure set in the ruins of Myth Drannor that isn’t beholden to the 4 generations of conquerors that already went there. Myth Drannor’s later history isn’t cool lore. It is a mess that has hoovered up all the fun from the location.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
@JEB mentioned the MCU, which is assuredly not bound by canon. But no one complains because the characters feel right and true to their core identities.
I have a friend who complains after every MCU how it doesn't match up with the comics. He'd rather it took 40 movies, rather than 10, to set up Infinity War, for instance. Everyone -- and we go with a big cadre of comics super-fans to see the movies together -- all roll our eyes collectively.

It is, as you say, its own continuity and for the most part, it's a great streamlined improvement over trying to slavishly adhere to decades of Marvel/Timely continuity. (I do think they dropped the ball with Hawkeye, since Matt Fraction's run on the character showed you can tell a compelling modern tale with him, as opposed to the MCU version, which they seem very unsure of what to do with. Looking forward to the Kate Bishop show ushering him off-stage.)

This is the right direction for overall D&D continuity as well. I don't personally love that Acererak and Vecna now belong to D&D canon as a whole, rather than Oerth, but "my" versions still exist back where they started and if their new versions bring enjoyment to other players, so be it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Boycott wasn't just MRAs, there aren't enough MRA out there to succeed (in the west). And MRA aren't weirdos, they are folks who fight for human rights. Many MRAs aren't the stereo type you think of, alot more are lefty wing supporters of human rights, from all walks of life, trans, men, women, every race.

I personally donate to a a shelter for abused men & their children, which unlikely shelters for women who get millions of dollars in publicly funded support, are completely privately funded by MRAs.

My Dad's best friend was murdered by his second wife who was an abusive alcoholic, who beat him, before she got drunk and murdered him. Does it make me a weirdo that I'm not okay with that or that she only spent a few years in prison for the murder of a kind and gentle man who was a wonderful artist, who was like an Uncle to me, who got me intetested in comics and conan?
No politics, please.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I disagree, because the nature of canon is a declaration of status, which means that if something is declared to be non-canon, a change has been introduced unto itself (i.e. the status of the material) even if no alternatives are subsequently put forward. The current framework, in this instance, has been declared to not be part of the greater whole (i.e. that which is canon) and so no longer is understood to be part of the conceptual framework that you make use of when engaging with the lore in that particular mode.

To declare something non-canon is a change unto itself. Like with the islanders who are told that they're now living under the political purview of a foreign power, it might not have any practical implications, but the nature of the change is something very real, and for a lot of people it's very substantive (and not something to be happy about).

I want to note, that back in this post, you were very adamant that the nature of canon was more than a declaration of status.

But now, we are back to this image that if the only thing that changes is the declaration of status... then canon has been changed and you cannot use that material to understand the lore. The change isn't in the lore itself, it isn't in the ability to use the lore. The only change is the status that the authors no longer are saying "yes, this is absolutely true".

And that isn't a factor that should really be that big of a deal. Especially considering the massive number of fans who have disagreed with the authors over various events and outcomes for decades.

The authority is important, because that's a fundamental aspect of the nature of canon: it's a determination that's made entirely external to you (in the general sense of the word "you"). That externalization grounds it, making it more real, because it gives it a quality of immutability - or at least, immutability in terms of personal whim - which is something it then shares with the real world.

Yes and no.

Let's take an example straight from this thread. Two Star Wars games. In one, the DM tells you that you are working for the rebels to support Luke, Leia and Han as they fight the emperor and Darth Vader. You will never be able to change the "canon" outcomes of the events of the larger story. In the other, you are rebels fighting against Emperor Darth Vader, who killed Luke and the previous Emperor, and twisted Leia into his loyal Daughter-Apprentice.

The first story is more "canonical" to the movies, but as a player both set-ups have been determined external to you and is immutable to you. As a player, you can't say "But Darth Vader didn't kill the Emperor". So, from a facet of "external authority" both stories are equal. You can't change either of them. So, why is one more canon? Because one is more official and lines up with the story already told. There is a sense that the DM didn't come up with anything, they are just copying Lucas's script...

And that isn't a good thing. Games that hew too close to "canon" are terrible games. The outcomes are known and you are aware that your actions do not matter. "What if we don't succeed in destroying the spy drones that found Hoth?!" Then the battle happens the exact same way it did. If you do destroy them? Then the battle happens the exact same way it did. If canon must be preserved, then your actions are ultimately meaningless.

Now, you might feel like a DM views canon differently, that the DM having something telling them how their game must be run is important to some people... but personally? Considering how bad a "perfectly canonical" game is? I'd say it is better for the DM and the hobby to have less official canon. Because then the actions of the players can change the world.

I suspect that this is where a lot of our inability to reach a consensus is coming from, because I'm of the opinion that canon is more than simply agreeing on the history/lore/rules; as mentioned above, it requires an authoritative determination of what's part of the imaginary world and what's not, and in so doing removes personal issues of agreement from the equation entirely. Even if you have different universes, storylines, or alternative takes on the same body of work, their canonity ("canonicity"?) is determined by the individual(s) who have authority over that particular work; not by the fans or other people who engage with the material.

Now, as noted previously, fans can break from canon in terms of how much they want to personally recognize, utilize, or otherwise partake of. But that doesn't change the nature of what's canon unto itself. It's just a degree of interaction.

See, this is getting sticky. The author of that My Little Pony fanfic I mentioned a while back is Wintermist. I'm just using that to give an example.

The canon of My Little Pony is determined by Hasbro.
The Canon of the Fanfiction is determined by Wintermist.

That Wintermist turned and took elements from Hasbro's work doesn't mean that Hasbro's work has some greater value of canon. Because Hasbro was rebooting an older show and taking from that Canon, which is a third set of canon. Which was based on a movie, a 4th set of Canon, which was actually based on a TV special.

Heck, I know most people here don't care, but you go back to the "original" story. Spike the baby dragon was the villain Scorpans companion. In the most recent show Spike is friends with Twilight Sparkle who has raised him from an egg. Both are Hasbro canon. Both officially made by the company that owns the brand. And Wintermist's work is clearly transformative enough that their canon is also official for their story.

You keep saying "fans can't change the canon" but what you are missing is that they can create new, related canons. A webcomic artist I know who does screen capture for a comic call "Friendship is Dragons" where My Little Pony is a DnD 4e game also has created a new canon. There are events that are canonical to that story.

Our difference lies in that you look at all of this and say "There is one canon". I look at this and say "There is the canon of Hasbro's original stories. There is the canon of Hasbro's new stories. There is the canon for Wintermist's story. There is the canon for Friendship is Dragons" All of them have a canon. The only difference is which canon you are talking about.

It doesn't "harm" the canon (as I see it) because you're not changing the canon; it still exists, independent of what happens in your game. What happens in your home game isn't recognized by the authority which determines canon for that particular conceptual framework. Likewise, I'm of the opinion that the different modes of engagement can be separated very cleanly from each other. Using art as an example, you can still appreciate the technical skill of Venus Callipyge without caring about the statue's historical or erotic aspects; that mode of engagement is independent of the others, the same way engaging with lore for your home game is independent of engaging with it as an imaginary realm with externally-defined boundaries.

But by the way you keep espousing canon, then in the home game Orcus couldn't be killed... or you are saying that being canon doesn't matter for the game. And if it doesn't matter if the game is canon or not, then the lore being made non-canonical doesn't matter, the game wasn't canon anyways.

But taking a step back and looking at a "different mode of engagement" and saying that what matters is being able to read the canon and appreciate the lore.... great. You can still do that. It just isn't the current canon. It is the old canon. You can still read and appreciate the lore, and chose to use it. It just is no longer the official and current canon of the game.

It is still "a canon" it just isn't "the canon" backed by the company continuing to use it. And if that is the problem, if you need it to be "the singular canon" then it is only a matter of wanting that official stamp of approval that the authors are agreeing with your position on what is true.

And I don't need the new canon to tell me that it is okay to like the old canon.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
So many different conversations going around in this thread.
The Curative vs Transformative lore topic: awesome! Thank you, guys, gals, and NB pals.
The intersection of Lore and Canon: another great topic with great points.
Ultimately, we have a Spartan statement from Crawford, praising novels and video game lore for being good stories, and that 5E will only consider 5E materials as canon going forward.
I am going to use Forgotten Realms because it is the only 'official' setting of 5E, in the rule books/adventures. There is no reset button. The lore is all still there, I guarantee WotC will do more Lore You Should Know video referencing the ancient texts when the Witchlight drops. So over the next several years, things will change in the Realms. Small things, big things. This is not new. The gymnastics of legitimizing contradictory lore into the canon is what is going away. They are not doing that step anymore. Classic Greyhawk dungeons were referenced in the 5E Toril canon before this statement. There was a lot of hue and cry over the inclusion of Acererak in Tomb of Annihilation as tainting the Realms and usurping Greyhawk at the time, and that was done before this announcement.
So for the Canon lovers. I hear your concern. I love the accumulated knowledge of these fictional worlds over 40 years. I worry about what a lessening of restraint to canonical changes might mean. But I also understand that they were doing the changes before this and giving very loose reasoning for the change. I am glad Jeremy Crawford made this statement because it reveals what WotC's design philosophy is and what to expect from new setting material. It sets expectations.
And for the Canon-as-Gatekeeping crowd, I also hear the argument that too often canon is used as a wall or mountain to keep the new or casual player out of tables. 40 years of accumulated knowledge to a newer player is daunting and without any new settings for new players to get in on the ground floor of lore, it is a stumbling block. Just understand, the Crawford statement does not abolish the old lore. It does not take the weight or scale of the history of the Realms away. It can still be used as an impediment to new players. That is a social problem, not a canon problem. There will still be references to Dragon articles or old novels in the new material released because the designers are D&D nerds like the rest of us. Until there is a setting exclusively for 5E with adventure support new players and casual players will be playing catch-up to long-time fans. Help them out.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've come to see tabletop RPGs as an inherently transformative medium. Transformative from the jump, with little room for the curative approach. TTRPGs are tools to create your own stories. We can argue over the specific processes and methods of play until the cows come home (who knows how many times the "system matters" discourse has been dragged out of its grave back into the world of the living), but at the end of the day, no matter if the story has been prepared beforehand or if it is spontaneously generated at the table, if it's the GM or the players who are the primary drivers of the story beats, each table creates their own stories, limited by the rules of the game, but after that only by their own imaginations. This applies just as much if they're playing in an already established IP's setting as it would to them playing in a world of their own creation. Basically, tabletop roleplaying is collaborative fanfiction, and since when have fanfic authors given the slightest hoot about canon?

^This

You can't do a canon RPG without taking away what makes TTRPGs special and work. The player interaction and building of the story.

Every time it is tried, it ends up forcing players to watch DMPC's and NPCs doing all the cool stuff, so that things go exactly as planned. And that isn't the value in a TTRPG

Chaosmancer

Legend
I actually think it is good for the game, in general. I just think it's bad for people that liked the old stories, because it means those stories are over.

I'm sorry the stories are over. But all stories end. And a lot of these stories have been over for a long, long time. No one was going to finish the story of Scarlett Brotherhood in Greyhawk. It's been done and fallow for decades, and that is okay.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I want to note, that back in this post, you were very adamant that the nature of canon was more than a declaration of status.

But now, we are back to this image that if the only thing that changes is the declaration of status... then canon has been changed and you cannot use that material to understand the lore. The change isn't in the lore itself, it isn't in the ability to use the lore. The only change is the status that the authors no longer are saying "yes, this is absolutely true".

And that isn't a factor that should really be that big of a deal. Especially considering the massive number of fans who have disagreed with the authors over various events and outcomes for decades.
Then either I was unclear or you misunderstood me, but I was trying to communicate that the nature of canon is more than just a declaration of status. I've mentioned at length that there's also things such as the externalized nature of it, the mode(s) of engagement, and the nature by which it defines things so to aid with the conceptualization of the aspects that remain undefined. None of that means that the declaration of status isn't also a part of that; it is, and it's important. It's just not all there is when we look at what constitutes "canon."

In this case, removing that particular designation of status is enough to render something non-canon, which isn't surprising: all WotC did was issue a declaration that the pre-5E material was non-canon, after all.

However, where you lose me is when you say that isn't something that "should" be a big deal. Saying "should" is an instance of pushing your beliefs on others, by telling them what you think is and is not worthwhile for them to care about. That's not really something that benefits anyone.

Yes and no.

Let's take an example straight from this thread. Two Star Wars games.
I'm snipping your examples there because you're running into the issue of modes of engagement again. I've noted (back in this post) that that's a different mode from engaging with the nature of the lore, setting, characters, history, etc. on their own, apart from their use as aids in game-play. I should note that both are entirely legitimate on their own, and being separate ways of engagement, should probably each be discussed on their own terms. As I mentioned previously, there's nothing wrong with disregarding canon for your home game, as that's a necessary component of using them to game with; you're going to be adding and/or changing things simply by setting a game in a canon setting (even if the scope and scale are small). But that's not the same as talking about the canon nature of the lore unto itself.
You keep saying "fans can't change the canon" but what you are missing is that they can create new, related canons.
It's not that I'm "missing" that, it's that I fundamentally disagree. Fans can introduce their own changes - there's nothing wrong with that - but those changes by their very nature are not canon to the work in question. Canon isn't something determined by them due to its externality, and as such the changes they introduce aren't understood to then become part of that externalized conceptual framework. The stories they make might have their own derivative lore (again, no pejorative there), but internal consistency alone isn't enough, which is why they can still be queried for how new aspects of the canon that they're making use of impact their derivative work. Of course, they can just declare an alternate universe or something to similar effect, but that's not canon. Like with a home D&D game, it's a personalized extrapolation of something that exists beyond the individuals using it can change.
Our difference lies in that you look at all of this and say "There is one canon". I look at this and say "There is the canon of Hasbro's original stories. There is the canon of Hasbro's new stories. There is the canon for Wintermist's story. There is the canon for Friendship is Dragons" All of them have a canon. The only difference is which canon you are talking about.
I suppose that's as good a summary of our difference of opinion as any. I'm simply of the mind that imbuing derivative works as having canon - or, if you want to phrase it differently, the same "gradation" of canon - as that which they're making use of, it essentially erodes the term to the point where it's not (very) useful in discussions regarding the source material. When someone wants to differentiate between the standardized body of lore that all fans of a given work would know from their own personalized alterations to it, being able to call one "canon" - and define what makes it that way, in a manner that the personalized alteration lacks - seems to better encourage the discussion.

For me, it's important to be able to keep that definition intact, if only to help define why, for instance, My Little Pony fans care more about what the forthcoming movie will do to the canon established by the last nine seasons (plus the movie, special, web-shorts, etc.) of Friendship is Magic than they do about any particular work on fimfiction.net. There's a reason why that is, and having the terms and definitions to discuss why that is abets the discourse in a way that saying "it's all canon, since everyone determines their personal canon" doesn't.
But by the way you keep espousing canon, then in the home game Orcus couldn't be killed... or you are saying that being canon doesn't matter for the game. And if it doesn't matter if the game is canon or not, then the lore being made non-canonical doesn't matter, the game wasn't canon anyways.
I'm not sure that a home D&D game can be canon in anything other than setup, since no one in this thread is suggesting that trying to maintain canon in game-play means that you then can't alter anything in the course of play. Certainly I'm not suggesting that; quite the opposite, I said previously that what you do in your home game will likely necessarily alter the established canon, which is fine, because a personal game has no canon aspects to it, anymore than fanfiction does (which, to be clear, is none).

But taking a step back and looking at a "different mode of engagement" and saying that what matters is being able to read the canon and appreciate the lore.... great. You can still do that. It just isn't the current canon. It is the old canon. You can still read and appreciate the lore, and chose to use it. It just is no longer the official and current canon of the game.
Which means it isn't canon at all. As noted previously, the status declaration isn't the only thing aspect of canon, but it's an important part of it. That can be seen in how people distinguish between fanfiction (to the point that they call it "fanfiction" in the first place) and what's "official."
It is still "a canon" it just isn't "the canon" backed by the company continuing to use it. And if that is the problem, if you need it to be "the singular canon" then it is only a matter of wanting that official stamp of approval that the authors are agreeing with your position on what is true.

And I don't need the new canon to tell me that it is okay to like the old canon.
I've already mentioned that it's more than just wanting a "stamp of approval," but rather than it's the acknowledgment of the grounded nature of a developed area of imagination. That groundedness comes from how the entire thing is kept external to one's self, given form and definition beyond what you (in the general sense of "you") can change. Whatever alterations you make in terms of personal fiction, a home game, etc. don't change the nature of the canon. When the authority over that canon discards part of it, that aspect is lost; as a result, the de-canonized part no longer helps to inform you about the nature of the parts that are canon, and so lose that useful element.

To put it another way, I don't believe that there are "multiple" canons for a particular work, nor levels nor gradations of canon (though I'm aware that others have put forward such things in the past). There's only one canon, and things either are or are not part of it.

RFB Dan

Podcast host, 6-edition DM, and guy with a pulse.
This is true. However, things introduced in the Holiday Special, such as the wookiee language, homeworld and Life Day are. Which makes the point, "not canon" is not the same as "not true".
Maybe. But in my heart I will always believe that somewhere out in the Star Wars Galaxy there's a space-Jefferson Starship out there rockin' to the Rebels.

"We built this Alliance on Rock and Roll....." :D

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads