D&D General WotC: Novels & Non-5E Lore Are Officially Not Canon

At a media press briefing last week, WotC's Jeremey Crawford clarified what is and is not canon for D&D. "For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game." "If you’re looking for what’s official...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a media press briefing last week, WotC's Jeremey Crawford clarified what is and is not canon for D&D.

"For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game."

despair.jpg

"If you’re looking for what’s official in the D&D roleplaying game, it’s what appears in the products for the roleplaying game. Basically, our stance is that if it has not appeared in a book since 2014, we don’t consider it canonical for the games."

2014 is the year that D&D 5th Edition launched.

He goes on to say that WotC takes inspiration from past lore and sometimes adds them into official lore.

Over the past five decades of D&D, there have been hundreds of novels, more than five editions of the game, about a hundred video games, and various other items such as comic books, and more. None of this is canon. Crawford explains that this is because they "don’t want DMs to feel that in order to run the game, they need to read a certain set of novels."

He cites the Dragonlance adventures, specifically.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I remember that. There was also a whole lot of scorn for the idea that anyone would need Twitter on their fridge. (And I say that as someone who likes Twitter.)

Yes, but you aren't someone at risk of having your phone taken away by your parents, either. Not your use case.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Lost what? The ability to say "the authors currently agree with me"?

That's all canon is.
No, it's not. It's much, much more than that.

A lot of what I've seen in this thread has touched upon issues that ultimately boil down to "why is 'canon' important to people in the first place?" I can give my answer, but this is going to be a bit of a long one, so I'm going to do this @Snarf Zagyg style.

MODES OF ENGAGEMENT: DIFFERENT WAYS TO PLAY (OR NOT PLAY, AS IT WERE)

I've recently been reading Joseph Laycock's book Dangerous Games: What the Moral Panic over Role-Playing Games Says about Play, Religion, and Imagined Worlds, which is aimed at understanding the frenzy that fell over D&D (and other tabletop RPGs) during the 80s and 90s. It's an excellent deep-dive into what happened, and I encourage everyone to read it. But what does that have to do with canon? Well, quite a bit, actually, the first point of which is to help lay down some ways of looking at points that have only been lightly acknowledged so far.

One of the ways that Laycock indicts the people who were panicking over D&D is that they were wrong to say that role-players frequently lost the ability to tell reality from the game world. In fact, he asserts, game-players were easily able to maneuver through three different modes of engagement while sitting around the game table:
  • Mode 1: Reality is where the players acknowledged what was going on around them, without reference to what was happening in the context of game-play (i.e. "Hey, can you check under the couch? I think my d20 might have rolled under there.")
  • Mode 2: Meta-context has the players engaging with the game in its framework as a game, typically via out-of-character references to the rules of the game world and the actions performed with regard to them (i.e. "I make a Charisma check to intimidate the guard. Don't forget my +2 bonus from that non-weapon proficiency I picked up last level.")
  • Mode 3: In-character is when the players act as if they were their character, which is almost always limited to in-character speech (i.e. "By the light of Pelor, you shall burn away to nothing, vampire!")
Obviously, gamers had no real issue with moving between all three modes without any sort of overt signalling that they were doing so; it was understood.

While that might seem like something of a digression, I bring it up here because something similar is going on with regard to discussions of canon. Namely, that we're referencing different modes of engagement with the game. It's just that the engagement isn't with different levels of play, but whether or not we're playing at all.

LEVELING UP THE "ART APPRECIATION" SKILL

While it can be contentious to try and define what "art" is, trying to figure out what constitutes "good art" and "bad art" is even more so. But at the risk of starting an entirely new debate, I'll offer a definition: "good art" is that which is able to engage the people who view (or read, listen to, or otherwise partake of) it on multiple levels simultaneously.

What does "more than one level" of appreciation mean? Well, take a look at the following:

Gattamelata.jpg

That's the Equestrian statue of Gattamelata, sculpted by Donatello (the person, not the ninja turtle in 1453. To me, this piece is pleasing on two levels: it can be appreciated for its technical skill, and for the history it evokes, as Gattamelata was himself an actual person ("Gattamelata" meaning "sweet cat"; notice my avatar here and all).

Now take a look at this one:

800px-Venere_Callipige_Napoli.jpg

That's Venus Callipyge (or rather, a reproduction of it). Made in Greek antiquity, this is one I can appreciate on three levels: the aforementioned technical skill, the historical associations surrounding the statue (I actually found out about it when researching the Deipnosophists), and for the erotic appeal of a hot chick admiring her own naked butt.

Now obviously, there's no expectation that these particular appreciations will be true for anyone else. Someone else may find no attractive qualities in Venus Callipyge, but might find Gattamelata to be smokin' hot. Which is fine; the subjective nature of the appeal is understood, oftentimes to the point where it can be easily overlooked. I think that's what's happening with our discussions on canon: the appeal of how useful lore is with regard to forming a campaign isn't being separated - in the context of what's being discussed - from the appeal of the lore unto itself, when in fact those are different modes.

Of course, this then brings us to ask why the lore is appealing "unto itself" anyway. Which brings us to a new point in the discussion.

JOURNEYING TO ANOTHER WORLD (WITHOUT GOING FULL ISEKAI)

In her book Why We Read Fiction: Theory of Mind and the Novel, Lisa Zunshine posits that reading, like writing, is inherently a creative act. The reason for this boils down to how we fill in the "gaps" in what's there; that we read between the lines to a far greater degree than is commonly acknowledged. That is, that while we might read a passage about a knight charging a dragon, we're imagining the various details that go unwritten in that passage: about the fear the knight is feeling and how they're dealing with it, or perhaps that they're excited rather than afraid, or perhaps that they're filled with a quiet resignation, experiencing neither excitement nor dread.

Like with art appreciation, none of these are right or wrong, because they're all personal, but here we're doing more than just acknowledging what's there: we're adding to it, even if only in the context of our own minds.

But again, what does that have to do with canon?

To that, I offer the following, from Penny Arcade:

241967029_3V9PQ-L-2.jpg

As amusing as that is (a reference to characters from Star Wars appearing in Soul Calibur IV), it's the text that accompanies the comic that I found memorable, where Jerry Holkins wrote:

The urge to create stable frameworks and legitimize our fantasies, to make them internally consistent an therefore more real is something we’ve poked at before. I can’t resist it. I always feel the strong compulsion to build upon whatever I enjoy, to understand it better. I can’t listen to a song without harmonizing with it, and I can’t play a game without imbuing it with sheaves upon sheaves of personally relevant contextual information.

That, right there, is what it's all about.

If we've established that a body of fiction - whether it's part of a video game franchise, a series of novels, the world of a tabletop role-playing game, etc. - can be approached in multiple different ways, and that one of those is to engage with the fiction as fiction (rather than a framework for game-play, a source of inspiration for some other creative impetus, etc.), then we can take that to the conclusion Holkins has reached here: that the more there is for us to partake in, the more we understand the internal logic and self-consistently of that imaginary world, and so we can then in turn fill in more details on our own, and enjoy it more richly.

It might sound paradoxical to say that the more we know about a given piece of fiction, the more we can make up, but that's been my experience in fandom after fandom. We want to know more about a particular imaginary world because it makes it clearer in our minds. Harry Potter fans want to know what the wizarding world looks like outside of England, or what it was like in the past. Kingdom Hearts fans want to explore the nature of the various settings of the series and expand connections between them and their characters. A Song of Ice and Fire fans want to explore beyond Westeros and learn about the various histories teased throughout the books (the TV series, not so much).

And fans of the Forgotten Realms want to understand the nature of that setting better also.

To that end, "canon" as a concept is important because it's the guide by which we determine what does that for us and what doesn't. A particular piece of fanfiction about The Lord of the Rings might be a masterpiece in its own right - and if you haven't read The Last Ringbearer, you should - but it doesn't help a Lord of the Rings fan understand Middle-Earth better. It's a different mode of engagement, one that goes for entertainment without widening the conceptual framework that is the imaginary world and its history, characters, etc.

At least, that's what canon is to me, and why I think it's important. It's why I don't want various aspects of a setting changed - and when I say "changed," I mean meta-contextually changed; if Thay didn't originally sell magic items to other nations, and then in later editions was selling them to any and all, that's fine if it's because Szass Tam elected to change Thay's foreign policy as a matter of shoring up political influence abroad - for reasons that don't relate to in-setting reasons (e.g. some people find it offensive, it's perceived as being too off-putting for newcomers, etc.) Doing so makes it harder to engage with that fantasy world under the mode with which I'm trying to engage with it: as its own thing, separate and apart from any changes or alterations that I might introduce to it on my own (that's a mode of engagement that I reserve for game-play).

The same way having rules grounds and stabilizes what's otherwise a game of "let's pretend," canon is the set of rules by which we interact with an imaginary world. Without it, there's no sense of structure to the fantasy, and it's no more entertaining than trying to play a game of make-believe completely on your own.

That's why I think a lot of people are upset about this, because a method of engaging with the setting has been impacted, one which is keenly perceived even if it's entirely conceptual in nature.

TL;DR Canon is important because it's the framework that people use to engage with an imaginary world, giving structure to fantasy, and in so doing making it seem real enough to be entertaining.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
The changes they made to Ravenloft are one of the reasons they made the announcement. More changes like that, or more so, are coming (probably starting with Dragonlance), and they wanted fans of the old stuff to moderate their expectations without outright telling them that their desires have dropped in priority.
Or it may have nothing to do with "desires" and everything to do with not wanting to be limited to what was in the old lore or having to reprint all that old lore.

Jezra Wagner had a two-page Monstrous Compendium entry. In order for CoS to use her as-is, they would have to:

• Dedicate an extra paragraph or more to her lore.

• Make the entire adventure take place during the specific time of year that she's active (she's effectively unconscious/nonexistent most of the year and is only active in the winter months).

• Have a replacement encounter if the DM decides the adventure takes place in a different time of year.

• Increase her stats to make her a challenge because specters are CR 1 creatures in a location suggested for 8th-level characters.

And if she was meant to be used in a way other than combat (for instance, finding her remains and putting her to rest), then even more page space would have to be used to create an encounter based all around that.

Instead, they went with generic snow-maidens, and the whole encounter takes up a couple of lines of text. Those people who bought CoS without having first read a collection of NPCs that was published almost thirty years ago can still play CoS without actually losing anything in the process.

Since I have read that MC appendix, many times, I can easily change those generic snow maidens into Jezra and develop a plot around her.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm not worried, my devices would all say the same thing: "He is very, very boring." Unless of course we are talking RPG's, and then I am a smidge more interesting.
Smart fridges monitor what you've got in your fridge and how fast you go through it, both to notify you to buy more and to contact vendors so they can send you coupons.

I don't need a household appliance putting me on blast about how the few vegetables I purchase so often go to waste.

You'll note - even here, they're pretty careful. The released books fluff is generally from a not wholly reliable narrator (Volo, Mordenkainen, Tasha etc.) so even when the lore is contradicted it's contradicted in a non binding way.
Extremely good point. I’ll take every opportunity to rag on D&D/WotC but this is a super smart way to handle lore, canon, and how those impact each table. It’s a narrative trick others should steal, especially in games with large metaplots.

The changes they made to Ravenloft are one of the reasons they made the announcement. More changes like that, or more so, are coming (probably starting with Dragonlance), and they wanted fans of the old stuff to moderate their expectations without outright telling them that their desires have dropped in priority.
This here. I never got in to Dragonlance in the 80's, it seemed too restrictive and focused on a set of existing heroes. By the nineties it was too convoluted for me to pursue (plus, setting bloat and limited cash in my twenties). By the 2000s it was way past the time I felt I could dive in and figure it out, even after I finally read the original books and enjoyed them for what they were.

So for me, a new Dragonlance book that does not expect me to know 40 years of canon lore will be a really good thing, and might at last be the jumping on point I missed in the early eighties. Given that there are a metric ton of gamers in 5E today for whom Dragonlance is going to be an entirely new deal, I imagine I am not alone in this boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads