WotC officials: we want MINIS for the modules!

phil500

First Post
I was wondering how much I was willing to spend to get all the minis I needed for keep on the shadowfell. To be honest, I can see myself eagerly dropping 30 bucks on them, and rationalizing spending as much as 50 on them.

How about a non-random release of miniatures to accompany each of the official modules? I don't care if they aren't DDM tournament legal. Stick with magic the gathering for that, DDM just didn't take off.

Keep the petition alive!

cangrejoide

First Post
hmm this is a quote form an answer given to this same question on RPGnet:

I don't think this is a wise choice for them. It goes against the collectible miniature selling strategy.

A part of their mini sales already comes from people who will only use it for RPG and not the Mini game. Think about it, most of the big bads in modules/adventures are almost always rares in each set. Same goes for playable player races. They are doing this on purpose they are not dumb.

Also if they were ever gonna implement this , wouldn't this lead to an adventure/module design on what Minis they want to sell?

They get more money out of you with the collectible method. :D

smdmcl

First Post
Obviously, I am not a regular contibutor to these boards but I have been an avid reader since the announcement of 4th edition. I feel the need to de-lurk for a moment to give this thread a bump as I'd be all over a module that included the minis necessary to play it out of the box.

It's a good idea and WotC would get more of my money if they took this approach.

Shane

D'karr

Adventurer
cangrejoide said:
hmm this is a quote form an answer given to this same question on RPGnet:

[OT]
Cangrejoide, where in PR are you located?

I ask because I'm originally from PR and I might be visiting in the fall. I'd love to meet other players in the Island.

[/OT]

Kunimatyu

First Post
$30-50 isn't even close to what you'd need.

In terms of sheer numbers, that module has ~150 monsters. Market price per plastic mini is ~$2, though collectible models can skew numbers higher for rares and lower for commons.

150 monsters x 2 = $300 -- would you be willing to pay THAT for all the KotS minis?

Or would you go "well, I already own some skeletons, gobilns, and rats, why is WotC charging me for minis I own?".

(All that being said, a small noncollectible pack containing the 6-8 most important monsters for $20-25 is probably doable....but it'd be just as fine to toss those minis into the nearest DDM set and roll with it, IMO)

I like this idea, though I'd settle for either the modules being designed so that most of the monsters were drawn from Commons in the DDM sets, or building futrue DDM sets so that common module monsters were Commons.

That way you could pick up some booster packs and be fairly certain you'd at least be able to cover 60-75% of the monsters in the modules.

I'm frankly surprised WotC hasn't tried to synergize their products a bit better, given how big the 4E release is for them.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
I remember when the Red Hand of Doom was all the rage; a few months later, many of the minis that were in the module were released in sets. This seems a little backwards. I get that they need cross-over, and I think it's smart that they go for that.

However, releasing the minis first, and then the modules, seems a better strategy if they're hoping for DMs to use the appropriate minis for their monsters and such.

I'm just sayin'.

Dave

Kunimatyu

First Post
Vrecknidj said:
However, releasing the minis first, and then the modules, seems a better strategy if they're hoping for DMs to use the appropriate minis for their monsters and such.

This.

My only concern is how people would have reacted to, say, a Greenspawn Razorfiend when neither Red Hand of Doom and MM4 were released.

Remove ads