WotC WotC reported 50% growth over 2020!

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Fair.

I read recently enough that Blizzard however, could easily get by on just the money they make off of whales. Their subs are not completely relevant in comparison.

So the question is, are the D&D Whales, that buy every book and whatever else, sufficient to keeping the train going forward, without the casual players as you define them?

I would think, yes.

Let's just say that focusing too much on whales has not put Blizzard or World of Warcraft in the best position. They are seriously in danger of losing their market leading position in large part because of it.

Scribe

Legend
Let's just say that focusing too much on whales has not put Blizzard or World of Warcraft in the best position. They are seriously in danger of losing their market leading position in large part because of it.
Oh I dont disagree. I got off the Blizzard train years ago, in Wrath. Its only the release of the classic versions of their game from before it become some stupid metric driven disaster, that I came back to play their games with some friends.

With all their recent choices and actions, I'm done with Blizzard after TBC.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That’s the question with the million dollar answer.
cough They dropped 4E like it was lava. cough

cough
Critical Role plays D&D. cough

(Note: not edition warring. The general reaction from just about everyone was that 4E was drastically different than what the majority of fans wanted from D&D. So WotC buckled and produced a more traditional edition of D&D. Viola.)

We can't forget here the goal is D&D as multimedia franchise. Not only to sell the TTRPG, but also novels, comics, (mainly) videogames, cartoons, merchandising products and toys, even for people who know nothing about the lore. Then WotC would work like a idea laboratory/factory to create new lines.

dnd-figurines-of-adorable-power-1212256.jpeg

You forgot the big targets of TV shows and movies.

Hasbro is the owner of Entertaiment-One and some cartoon studios but we can't know who work with. Now there is a partnership with Paramount but this could end soon. Disney and AT&T/WarnerDiscovery see the TTRPGs as a potential to promote their own brands and they have thrown a wink. Hasbro needs Disney for Marvel and Star Wars. And Netflix has been very useful. I love this type of speculations but this time not even themself can safe what is going to happen.

A cartoon is better option than action-live productions. These need time and money, and voice actors are easier to be recasted. They are await to know if the movie will be a smashing-hit/blockbuster or a bomb/flop and then they will choose the strategy.

The big cinema studios can try their own fantasy action-live serie, but the last Conan movie wasn't a total success, and after Xena nobody has tried to repeat the same recipe.

Remove ads