WotC WotC reported 50% growth over 2020!

darjr

I crit!
As growth happens it gets harder and harder to grow. It’s one reason I’m surprised at this.

Wizards of the Coast reported a 50% increase in YTD revenue compared to 2020. The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set was the best-selling summer Magic: The Gathering set of all time.
Notably - Wizards of the Coast (which includes the Digital Gaming segment) reports over $1 billion in revenue YTD. That does not include the holiday shopping season.

darjr

I crit!
Here is Christopher’s article. Looks like there will be another D&D set, I might be right! But also wh40k and lord of the rings and others.

Jaeger

That someone better
I mean, good for them, profit drives the bus.

But I hope they don't misinterpret that data and think they need to unite the settings...that will be the last straw for me honestly.

This is something I thought a bit about - they have released 'Magic' settings for D&D - that evidently sold well, but...

There is a big collector element in the RPG hobby. How many of those MtG D&D settings area actually seeing significant playtime at tables or VTT?

How many were bought by MtG fans/players for the lore/art with no intention of ever playing D&D?

While there is some crossover - it is far more the RPG crowd occasionally dipping their toes into MtG.

IMHO The majority of the MtG crowd has no real interest in playing D&D.

So as much as WotC would very much like a stronger crossover between the two brands fans, that is rather wishful thinking IMHO...

Also this report is for overall WotC revenue, where a MtG set is specifically called out, even if it is D&D lore based.

What I would really like to see is the difference between MtG and D&D. But something tells me WotC will never report that if they can help it at all.

Last edited:

gss000

Explorer
What I would really like to see is the difference between MtG and D&D. But something tells me WotC will never report that if they can help it at all.
Have you gone through past Hasbro quarterly earning reports? I bet you'll find that information there. It's the benefit of publically traded companies. They often gove numbers like that for major units or divisions.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I mean, good for them, profit drives the bus.

But I hope they dont misinterpret that data and think they need to unite the settings...that will be the last straw for me honestly.
Out of just genuine curiosity - why is that?

Maybe this means we'll get more FR stuff for MtG, which...is good? I'm sure opinions vary - I don't play MtG, so there's little to no stakes in this for me.

Remove ads