WotC WotC reported 50% growth over 2020!

Maybe they have been by speculators, but if WotC sees the idea works, then they are going to publish more crossovers, if not for players at least for merchandising collectors. But if these becomes too important, then the D&D multiverse cosmology could be forced to some retcon to explain how characters from other universes could appear in D&D.

Once I joked about the idea of a Spelljammer/Fortnite crossover, but now seriously they would dare to do it to sell toys and merchandising.

More intercompany crossovers are possibles but the deals aren't easy, because they don't agree about relaunch and others.

I hope Hasbro is enough prudent to notice when a year of "thin-cows" (time of bad economy) could arrive, and I worry because this could happen very soon.

And they shouldn't "rest on their laurels". Here there are serious rivals, and not only Paizo, but other publishers of no-d20 TTRPG, for example Onyx Path and Chaisoum. Even their own workers is they aren't happy they could exit and create their own 3PP.

Other thread is Hasbro is like a girl like lot of "suitors" (Disney, Paramount, Netflix, Warner...). She can't choose only one, but all are necessary for the business, and there are good reasons to get engaged with nobody. And the most popular candidate from the high-school could become an outcast in a near future by fault of some wrong matter. Some rumors say a future Comcast+CBSViacom merger could be possible in the future to be a enough big fish in front of Disney, WarnerDiscovery, Amazon and Netflix. This means to start new negotations again. And don't reject the idea Hasbro wants to be also a mediatic empire like a second Disney.

Any suggestion? Hasbro shouldn't lose sight all the 3PPs with potential valious IPs. If these companies can't survive their brand could be acquired by others, maybe even powerful cinema producers awaiting to find a new gold-mine/cash-cow as Harry Potter, Games of Thrones or the Witcher.

Hasbro has said their strategy for the future is more focused on digital market, but AAA videogames are ambitious projects that need a lot of money and time. The D&D as TTRPG will be more like an idea laboratory to create new lines.

Scribe

Legend
Maybe they have been by speculators, but if WotC sees the idea works, then they are going to publish more crossovers, if not for players at least for merchandising collectors. But if these becomes too important, then the D&D multiverse cosmology could be forced to some retcon to explain how characters from other universes could appear in D&D.

Once I joked about the idea of a Spelljammer/Fortnite crossover, but now seriously they would dare to do it to sell toys and merchandising.

More intercompany crossovers are possibles but the deals aren't easy, because they don't agree about relaunch and others.
See, this here?

This is why I dont want crossovers, at all. Simply dont even open the door.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
let us hope they bring some more new things to the table as the present classes are getting too full and a nice all new none players hand book race setting is sorely needed.

dave2008

Legend
I mean, good for them, profit drives the bus.

But I hope they dont misinterpret that data and think they need to unite the settings...that will be the last straw for me honestly.
If I remember correctly, MtG is already part of the D&D multiverse (Ravnica, Theros, etc.), but D&D is not part of the MtG multiverse. The had a statement that despite the set, the Forgotten Realms is not a part of the MtG multiverse - yet.

dave2008

Legend
What I would really like to see is the difference between MtG and D&D. But something tells me WotC will never report that if they can help it at all.
They have reported on D&D growth separately before and fairly recently (within the last year of so), but I haven't heard specifically about MtG. However, I don't follow MtG unless it pops up here.

FYI, IIRC, D&D has been growing about 50%/year for a few years.

Remove ads