WotC RPG Dept. Re-Orgs

Scribble

First Post
When Mike Mearls says stuff people tend to listen, and he seems to have a somewhat calming "we're all in this together" sort of feel. That makes for a great leader. Congrats to him...

I think he probably knew this was coming for a while though based on his various columns starting with that "we messed up" interview he did a while back.

Ferghis

First Post
If your problem is with the Epic Destinies, Rob had pretty much nothing to do with them. I wrote the Keeper of the Everflow, Marshal of Letherna and Twilight Tribune. I'd be happy to have your feedback.

Thanks for (a) owning up to your work, (b) being generally present on these boards, and (c) soliciting negative feedback about in this instance. But I can't give you xp for a while. Can someone please cover me?

Last edited:

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Hasn't Chris Perkins been there much longer than Mike Mearls, though?

Time in doesn't get you promoted (usually). I figured it would be Mearls because of his overall vision for D&D. Perkins seems to write and speak from a nuts and bolts here is how you DM/Play where Mearls is talking about the nature of the game itself and how that effects your play and vice versa.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Chris Perkins but I think D&D is in very good hands with Mearls.

My Two Coppers

Nullzone

Explorer
Between his Dungeon Master Experience articles and speaking to him in person, I feel I can confidently say that Perkins is better in his "nuts and bolts" editor/producer role anyway. The perspective he takes on the game and the ways he gets fired up about it make him ideal for that spot, instead of having to always worry about the high concept aspect of it all like Slavicsek/Mearls do.

Dedekind

Explorer
I didn't realize that the main R&D guys were working on the Encounters season (having not played Encounters). That might explain some of the productivity drop...

Neverfate

First Post
To clear up what I meant about Schwalb's work. I was speaking in mechanical terms before fluff. Regarding Klaus' input into the book, He's already given a detailed discussion on what he's worked on and what WotC wanted him to do in a previous thread (it's on ENworld somewhere). It's really from a mechanical standpoint that I'm not a fan of Schwalb's work. I've seen a few too many Dragon articles from him that added bloat instead of ultility. That's largely what much of Heroes of Shadow was and I'd hate to see that happen to an Elemental sourcebook (seeing as how every book is a one-shot nowadays, these may be the only Elemental heroes we ever get).

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
When Mike Mearls says stuff people tend to listen, and he seems to have a somewhat calming "we're all in this together" sort of feel. That makes for a great leader. Congrats to him...

I think he probably knew this was coming for a while though based on his various columns starting with that "we messed up" interview he did a while back.

Since we're talking "feelings", I would feel better with Perkins at the helm over Mearls. And I have nothing concrete to back that up, but I just get a better vibe from him.

Scribble

First Post
Since we're talking "feelings", I would feel better with Perkins at the helm over Mearls. And I have nothing concrete to back that up, but I just get a better vibe from him.

Don't get me wrong... I think Perkins is the type that can take something and say "Yo check out all this awesome I just made..." It's just I feel like Mike Mearls tends to display a sense of "I understand what makes it awesome and have a clear vision of how to work with it, and where to go with it."

IE Both can make awesome... Perkins just seems like the type that likes to blast awesome all over the place, and needs someone like Mearls to focus it in a particular direction.

Argyle King

Legend
If your problem is with the Epic Destinies, Rob had pretty much nothing to do with them. I wrote the Keeper of the Everflow, Marshal of Letherna and Twilight Tribune. I'd be happy to have your feedback.

Like I said, I've only briefly seen the book. That was my initial impression.

I thought a lot of the ideas were cool. I would just be very hard pressed to choose them over - well, over pretty much anything else. In some cases, I wish I could pick them, but (like some of the other options I think are fluffwise cool in 4E) I need to keep pace with the other PCs in my party.

My next game day is Saturday. I'll give a more thorough look and take notes. I don't personally own the book, so I don't have it available for me to see it right now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases