• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC, Scott, Where in the World is the GSL

Henry

Autoexreginated
Orcus said:
I just pulled out our first print product, the Crucible of Freya. It was released sometime between September of 2000 and January of 2001 (I want to say November).

To be specific, between October 21 and December 1, according to the Wayback Machine for rpgplanet.com/dnd3e.

jeffh

Adventurer
Scrollreader said:
And of that list, the only one who I /know/ will be producing 4e material is Necromancer. Thats why they're getting my money. :D
Aren't Goodman and Wolfgang Bauer's Open Design project committed as well? And I thought I saw something about Fantasy Flight too.

BadMojo

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
I'd certainly call it a very distinct possibility.

That doesn't look good. The cynic in me is thinking that they're waiting to be fully staffed in their legal department and ready to be sued when they make a GSL/OGL announcement.

Wystan

Explorer
Actually it looks like they need a senior Lawyer to vet the final product. I think they should go out of house for this if it is true as this is seriously crimping their Credibility here and with other gamers that are hearing about the delayed/missing GSL/OGL.

I really truly trust WOTC to make the right decision and leave 4E open to the extent that they determine it needs to be open, but not to close it....

JamesM

First Post
BadMojo said:
That doesn't look good. The cynic in me is thinking that they're waiting to be fully staffed in their legal department and ready to be sued when they make a GSL/OGL announcement.
I think far more significant is that the job posting does not list open source licensing as an area of expertise for an applicant but it does list contract negotiation with "key clients." That's hardly a smoking gun, since WotC may already have plenty of people on staff knowledgeable about open source issues, but it's still another piece in the puzzle.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
BadMojo said:

I seriously doubt they'd get sued. (Seriously, who has the financial resources to stand up to Wizards.)

Staff changes happen and they're not always idealy timed. But if this does/did/continues to have an impact on the GSL's delayed release (which, sounds like it does), I'd say that Wizards wants someone with enough experience in the industry to write a license that can anticipate technological changes. That would be a very reasonable thing to do. I don't fault them for that. I do, however, wonder why they didn't have the license worked out like say a year ago.

Remove ads